We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have plenty of spare top, soil lucielle, but I think transport might be a problem. :o

Greenbee, I don't plant in the hedges the same as I would in the garden. The soil in our hedges is so light and full of vole holes, I drive a 4' iron bar down, wiggle it around to make a wide hole, insert the sapling, then use the blunt end of the bar to push the roots down and ram around the stem. Seems to work. :)

DW realises that we are not likely to be close to either sets of in-laws now. We run out of conversation with the other lot after around 15 minutes, and with the new lot, conversation in English is hard. We don't do Portuguese either, which would be another possibility.:( However, it seems they have a very strong community spirit and a great sense of purpose, so that's something we have in common at least. Of course, it's the kids who have to constantly traverse the culture gap, and they do it well. :A

DW had a very interesting shopping trip for her outfit, which started at £60, but reduced despite having various extras added to it during the 10 minutes or so of bartering. At the end, everyone else was shouting and she was being pushed out the door by her helper, having paid only £40 for this large bag of stuff! Apparently, it's quite a normal procedure, but she was terrified they'd be arrested fo making-off like that with goods only part paid-for.

I must try that in Mole Valley Farmers. :rotfl:
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dave - I plant primroses in the vole holes :) And the hedging has been left to make the best of it in the holes I could make. Just need to dig the holes for the trees now - I thought I might see how many of them I can site on old molehills :)

Good luck with the bartering... I had wondered whether 'but I can get it cheaper online' might work :)
  • Davesnave
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »

Good luck with the bartering... I had wondered whether 'but I can get it cheaper online' might work :)
    In the case of MVF and their other offshoots, you probably can; that's if they keep whatever it is in stock at all. :(

I've noticed over the previous eight years, how the emphasis in-store has moved away from more esoteric items, often hard for the smallholder to locate, and towards big-ticket items, more appropriate to a fashion outlet.

I realise they have to move with the times, but a lot of the cheaper stuff has vanished and everything's pre-packed etc.

It's far cry from the days, over 50 years ago, when I used to pop in and buy a scoop full of dog biscuits, making sure I got plenty of the black ones that I enjoyed almost as much as the dog!:rotfl:
  • greenbee
    Options
    Our local MVF was originally Scats. And you're absolutely right - it seems to be a consumer/horse-owner/pet-owner and 'country clothing' store (can't even get decent weedkiller - roundup in 5l containers is available out the back but not gallup). Mind you, my part of the world is hopeless for a lot of things - plenty of upmarket clothing/interiors and not much in the way of useful 'real' shops, so I get a lot of stuff online.

Does Mrs Dave look back fondly on the days when you ate charcoal dog biscuits ;)?
  • Davesnave
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Does Mrs Dave look back fondly on the days when you ate charcoal dog biscuits ;)?
    Mrs Dave didn't know me then, as she'd only have been a toddler, but she admits to doing exactly the same thing when around primary school age. :D
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    my bargain at MV [us local yokels still say scats ] was they had some long riding boots [mucker style] in the sale... usual sizes .. 3s & 8s ! but I asked a girl if they had a 7 at any other store... yes she said and dutifully ordered in a pair... 3 days later got a call and went in for them, honouring the sale price of £15 instead of £70 !!!!! happy days

sorry if ive not replied/commented re all your expeditions/jaunts/achievements..... have the attention span of a newt at the moment.

have a good weekend y'all
  • greenbee
    Options
    Two trees down... 5 to go. There's not much top soil here, and it's mostly gravel (or possibly rubble) after a couple of inches, so i'm pleased that 6 of the 7 trees are bare root. The pot grown one will be going into a flower bed... Hopefully I'll get them all done this weekend.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    son mowed lawn :j
    I topped up/tidied up/added compost to all pots :)

filled dumpy sack of carp :)

planted my morrisons clematis / passion flowers and something else thet I lost the label :o [lovely bushy healthy plants all under £2 :) ]

son gone for a Chinese take away :T

SORTED ........... :beer:
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find the plants out of Morrissons really good quality & lovely and cheap too.

Been a glorious day here - about time really! Trying to tidy up the blackcurrants that have loads of rushes in them - It's a slow job but getting there. Sawed up quite a bit of wood too so that was good. Feeling jiggered now though.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing ok and any troubles are swift to pass. I'm not really keeping up but will try to catch up soon
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback