Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt-free Wannabe Challenges

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge. - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

3.3K replies 343.2K views

Replies

• mobo1980mobo1980 Forumite
    368 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi number 14 popping on to say i'm now at ...........£7.84 lol

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • Morning! I think I have about 500.00 towards my 1000.00 but I am going to be going the slow route after this. Hopefully my E B of A stuff will sell and I can add more :)

Thanks for the welcomes and the number. Yay for #20 :)

October xx
    Loan: [STRIKE]6100.00[/STRIKE] 4542.08 ~~ Credit Card: 4231.82 :eek: #20 Emergency Fund: £249.96/£1000 25%!
    LBM 1: (20.08.14) -£5000.00 LBM 2: (25.07.17) -£9750.00 October Goals NSDs: 0/10, Ibs Lost: 0/10, Xtr Income: £0/£50
  • DreamerHelenDreamerHelen Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put another £4.97 in the Emergency Fund this morning....So I am now officially over the 2% mark.... :D
    Committed To Paying Off My Debts AND Saving
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund #1 £0/£6000
    General £1000 Emergency Fund #13 £0/£1000
    Saving For Christmas 2018 £1 per day #13 £0/£500
    MSE Sealed Pot Challenge #089 - £276.70 Banked For 2017/2018 - Stars from SueUU x25 :staradmin
  • Dolly_RockerDolly_Rocker Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought myself an emergency fund tin!

So excited to fill it up to the brim with lovely emergency fund cash!

Dxxx
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £3,200.00
    Goal Weight by December 2020 11lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
  • EyebrightEyebright Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    Eyebright...I've updated my Sig as I think I've figured out the Percentage thing....can you let me know if I'm right...Thanks!! :D

Sorry didn't get time to pop on MSE last night, but the way I do it, is divide goal (I.E £1000), by 100 to work out what 1% is (I.E £10 in our example). Then I divide whatever I have saved up so far (Say £130) by the value of 1% (£10) = 13% of total acheived. Hope that helps :D
    mobo1980 wrote: »
    Hi number 14 popping on to say i'm now at ...........£7.84 lol

Mobo xx

Still better than nowt Mobo! My total will be going up very slowly until after Christmas!
    Morning! I think I have about 500.00 towards my 1000.00 but I am going to be going the slow route after this. Hopefully my E B of A stuff will sell and I can add more :)

Thanks for the welcomes and the number. Yay for #20 :)

October xx

Wow 50% of the way there already, that's fabulous! :T

I'm probably going to put £10 of my ebay sales in at some point today, so that I'm another 1% closer! The rest I need to keep for Christmas presents!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mobo1980mobo1980 Forumite
    368 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks Eyebright :)

I like the fact that we can go at our own pace on this challenge :o

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58 :eek:
    Then there's the mortgage :o
  • chrisfreelander54chrisfreelander54 Forumite
    448 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Just popping in for a quick update, and to say hello to all the new members that have joined recently. :wave:

Another £43.57 added today, total is now @ £643.57. :T

Just relaxing for the next half hour, then its off to do my last 12 hour nightshift, before taking a few days off. Roll on 6am.

Enjoy the rest of your day fellow funders.
    YNAB is my new best friend. :)
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank You for that Eyebright....I think I've done it right but I'm not a hundred percent sure!! LoL....Oh well, it makes sense to me anyway!! :D You're doing brilliantly...keep it going!! ;)

Dolly....I nearly went with an Emergency Tin from Ebay but decided at the last minute to put it in a Savings Account...I have already got a few tins on the go and didn't want to add anymore...But I can definitely see the appeal in literally watching your money pile up...Go for it!! ;)

Wow Chrisfreelander (hope I got your name right, I'm doing it from memory)....you are doing AMAZINGLY well!! Well Done and don't stop!! :)

Nothing more to add at the moment....We'll see where I'm at once I get paid on Thursday....
    MSE Sealed Pot Challenge #089 - £276.70 Banked For 2017/2018 - Stars from SueUU x25 :staradmin
  • EyebrightEyebright Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭
    mobo1980 wrote: »
    Thanks Eyebright :)

I like the fact that we can go at our own pace on this challenge :o

Mobo xx

Agreed, I like that it's not a race, just putting some money in as an when we can, to slowly fill it up to £1000. We can all share tips and ideas if we think of something to help each other get there.
    Just popping in for a quick update, and to say hello to all the new members that have joined recently. :wave:

Another £43.57 added today, total is now @ £643.57. :T

Just relaxing for the next half hour, then its off to do my last 12 hour nightshift, before taking a few days off. Roll on 6am.

Enjoy the rest of your day fellow funders.

Brilliant total Chris!! :T Enjoy your days off xx
    Thank You for that Eyebright....I think I've done it right but I'm not a hundred percent sure!! LoL....Oh well, it makes sense to me anyway!! :D You're doing brilliantly...keep it going!! ;)

Dolly....I nearly went with an Emergency Tin from Ebay but decided at the last minute to put it in a Savings Account...I have already got a few tins on the go and didn't want to add anymore...But I can definitely see the appeal in literally watching your money pile up...Go for it!! ;)

Wow Chrisfreelander (hope I got your name right, I'm doing it from memory)....you are doing AMAZINGLY well!! Well Done and don't stop!! :)

Nothing more to add at the moment....We'll see where I'm at once I get paid on Thursday....

Nearly Friday, can't wait to get paid an divvy up where my wages are going! So I know the feeling Helen!

I've transferred £16.70 from Paypal this morning, this will round up the amount in my Emergency Fund, so that I have made another 2% of the total! Yippee :D
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning Eyebright...Hope you are well this morning!! :)

I may not have a lot to put in this Week when I get paid as it's pretty much down to the wire in terms of what I can afford...but even if I can only put a pound or two in, that's still money in the Fund :D

I just looked at your Total...you're doing BRILLIANTLY!!! You're over a tenth of the way there....Keep it going....Does it feel good now that you have some money there if there is a problem or something needs paying for?

For me it's about safety....it's about not having to ask anyone for money if I get into a sticky situation....it's about knowing that I CAN afford something if there is a difficult situation that arises...

My Grandma isn't massively well at the moment (she's nearly 90) and I've been told by my Dad to "expect the worst at some point probably in the next Year"....and she lives in Lancashire...and I live in London....And, being practical, I don't want to have to miss being at her Funeral just because I can't afford to go!! So, as maudlin as it sounds, that was my first and foremost reason for having an Emergency Fund....

Ultimately I would really like to have 3 months wages in a Savings Account somewhere....but that is about £6000....and I thought if I looked at that number it would scare me so I'm starting with £1000 and once I get to that I will think about the next bit....

Sorry, I'm rambling here...LoL...Just in that kind of mood :D