Options
2»

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi cornz

The bailiffs can only pursue those people named on the liability order - and their belongings. They cannot force entry to the property so you should not end up in a position where you are having to prove your ownership of the telescope, consoles etc etc. As for the car, your ownership of it should be easy enough to prove if and when bailiffs visit.

It's not clear why the council have not also named you on the bill and subsequent liability order. They would normally ask for details of adults living at the address on an annual basis, and it is a legal requirement to respond. They could in theory end up seeking a separate liability order against you for the same debt.

In the meantime though I would recommend working out a payment offer and starting to make said payments towards the bailiffs ASAP - better to get them off your case first, then address matters with your partner later.

It's not the simplest situation as it doesn't sound as if the two of you are pulling in the same direction right now. That seems to me to be the most important thing to put right before anything else can be achieved.

One question: in your original post you refer to
    cornz wrote: »
    the 10k she owes....

Is this a typo (as 1 year of council tax would be nearer £1K) or a reference to her debts overall?

All the best

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • glasgowsaver2011
    Options
    Good question. Find myself asking the same thing but why should I have to suffer for her inability to control her finances.

Because rightly or wrongly you are a couple....

Why would you not be on the council tax there...

so where are you on it...
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You'll need to start paying council direct. You should be on the bill so you will be liable for the whole lot.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    I pay for ALL the electric (she pays gas as we only have gas CH), I pay for the car, the phone, internet, insurance (house and pet). I buy EVERYTHING for the house of value, TV, computers, my games console, plus all my other toys (several thousand pounds worth).
    I have to say that for a couple in a serious relationship your attitude to money sounds a bit strange. The bit I've bolded above makes it sound like you have a fair amount of disposable income, do you both earn a similar amount or is your partner struggling for money?
    Wouldn't it be possible for you to pay off the council tax debt? I can't imagine watching my partner build up debt and then just sitting and waiting for the bailiffs to come and take their stuff. I can understand that you want her to learn to take responsibility for herself, but it comes across that you're more concerned about losing your toys than you are about your girlfriend!
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good question. Find myself asking the same thing but why should I have to suffer for her inability to control her finances.

You're not being asked why you won't sell your toys to pay your partner's debt, you're being asked why you won't sell your toys to fund your moving out from what you seem to deem an untenable living situation....
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just wondering, is there anything to suggest she's been spending this money on other things for herself, or using it for household items because her budget doesn't stretch far enough.

It sounds like you need to sit down and discuss paying the bills in a different way, if she's simply not good at doing this, have her transfer funds to you and you manage them. Not everyone sees money in the same way and some people are simply not very good at prioritising payments.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As suggested above maybe you should switch things around. Ask her to transfer £x amount to you every month and you manage the bills.

Have you both ever sat down with statements and calculated exactly what is half of the overall household expenditure. Is the amount you transfer plus the bills you pay equaling half? (Estimating is no good) If your OH only has to manage her own monthly spends, she may find it a relief and a weight off her shoulders.

I hope you can have a long, calm talk and get a plan together to tackle things as a couple.

All the best for the challenge ahead

DB
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • midnight_express
    Options
    Do her a favour and move out.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

You don't have to suffer. You could just end the relationship, move out and move on with your life.

Alternatively you could try and sort this out if you want the relationship to work. Perhaps you and your partner need to be honest with each other about the household income and expenditure. If it transpires that she's just one of those people who is hopeless with money and has no interest in learning how to budget then you will have to take control of the finances, put up with the status quo, or end things.

You're both adults so no don't go involving her parents.

Edit: Her credit history will only effect yours if you are financially linked. Do you have any joint accounts together?

As others have said, your both jointly and severally liable for the council tax as you both live in the property so really you're lucky the DRA are only chasing her at this moment in time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure