Cracked screen sony compact,common problem

Options
Has anyone else experienced this, if so what did you do.

Got the phone out my empty pocket after getting out of the car and it's got what looks like a tiny impact shot and few cracks now on the screen.. Now I can't use it.
Had a look on the net and it appears this is bit of a problem with the screens being weak and not as robust as they say and was even featured on watch dog.so spoke to cs and he said it will have to be sent off for investigation and denied all knowledge of the problems they had. I told him it's been featured on watch dog and he still wouldn't have it saying just because it's on watch dog it don't mean there's an inherent fault with these lol, I said you don't get a top slot on WD with 10 complaints raised..
So I need to send it off, with out a phone for upto 10 days and they will quote me for repair ( (£20+ from what iv read)if they don't find fault with it..fair enough if it's been dropped with massive impact break,but it's got what appears to be tiny impact break,but if there not prepared to acknowledge there's a week point in the handset I' reckon I'll be wasting my time and £21.00 for them to send it back

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't hold your breath.
    It's extremely unlikely that they repair it for free.
  • deano72_2
    Options
    Yep I agree.. Had a look at doing it myself, £80-90 just for the screen

Taken from the watch dog post
    From sony
    “In a small proportion of cases, screens have indeed cracked with no identifiable cause and in these instances the phone has been repaired for free.”
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 September 2014 at 7:09PM
    Options
    deano72 wrote: »
    Yep I agree.. Had a look at doing it myself, £80-90 just for the screen

Taken from the watch dog post
    From sony
    “In a small proportion of cases, screens have indeed cracked with no identifiable cause and in these instances the phone has been repaired for free.”
    The xperiablog has example pics of the cracks that come under warranty and those that don't ..... what does yours compare like those that do, might help you to decide whether it's worth the gamble of sending it back
    http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/11/08/sony-will-repair-certain-cracked-displays-for-xperia-z-series-suggests-leaked-info/
    It's not just about the money
  • deano72_2
    Options
    imagejpg1.jpg
    Thanks for link
    Looks pretty similar and to the ones they showed on WD
  • deano72_2
    Options
    It's bit hard to capture the cracks, but there 2 that spur off the main shock pic
  • deano72_2
    Options
    imagejpg1-1.jpg
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    :D Tough call isn't it. It's a shame there's two cracks and not just one

If it's a brick as it stands it may be worth the cost of sending it back and trying your luck.
    If you offset the cost of what it's worth in perfect condition against what it costs to repair ???
    It's not just about the money
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deano72 wrote: »
    imagejpg1-1.jpg

Seems you have been unlucky, I have the xperia Z for 18 months now, dropped it onto concrete 3 times (accidently) but it's all good, the handset is not in a case.
  • Quiet_Spark
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Seems you have been unlucky, I have the xperia Z for 18 months now, dropped it onto concrete 3 times (accidently) but it's all good, the handset is not in a case.
    It doesn't matter how resistant the glass is, if you catch it in the wrong place then it will break/shatter just like any other.

Take a car windscreen for example.
    It would be quite difficult to cause it to shatter completely if you threw a brick at it, but a tiny piece of porcelain a quarter of the size of your thumbnail simply "pinging" it in the right spot will see it break/shatter in to thousands of pieces.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • deano72_2
    Options
    Iv got no choice really to repair it, as it has sentimental photos on there.
    It's not had anything thrown at it and can appreciate at the end of the day it's a piece of glass and is vulnerable but don't expect it to go ping in your pocket as a lot of customers are experiencing. To be fair I don't blame sony if they say sorry no can do, but £250 to replace a screen is takin the pee
    When someone invents the smartphone with A unbreakable screen there they will have a no1 saler, most people I know have cracked or shattered screens or have had in the pass
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure