PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having another NSD as I have no car.
    I like seeing my cash intact in my purse :o
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning all,

I looked in the fridge and cupboards. Am well stocked for both lunch and dinner so I am heading for a NSD today. The letter can wait. I could pay it in stamps that I already have but it is not an economical way of doing it.

I might even be able to hold back tomorrow and then have a trip to L1dl on Thurs when they change the offers!

Have a good day.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually go shopping on Tuesday morning but have an appointment with the nurse for my flu jab at 11.30ish. I've changed the meal plan today as I don't have any chicken or turkey mince in the freezer to do the Japanese meat sauce I was planning to do to have with a home grown butternut squash so will be using the squash to make a squash & lentil curry as I have everything in for that, except spinach, but that's not completely necessary - it's for a bit of colour as much as anything so we can live without it.

So today will be an unexpected NSD.

Denise
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have spent quite a lot since my challenge started on Friday. I had planned to do several stock up shops to make use of the £5 Aldee vouchers I had for the new store opening.

Total stands at £135.02/£240. £16 is on toiletries and cleaning, £10 on dog food and £30 on bulbs! We are going through bulbs like crazy so bought some long life LED ones to see if they last any longer. We have also kept the receipts for them all as they will be going back if they don't last the 2 years they are supposed to:mad:

The £78 of the total spent on human food includes a huge amount of meat such as 1kg chicken breasts, gammon joint, 20 sausages, turkey steaks, pork loin, pork medallions, chorizo, bacon - smoked and unsmoked, chicken dippers, mince pies and some GF crisp bakes and YS crisp bakes for DH.

I may need more chicken and some beef mince to make a batch of bolognaise for DH but there is enough meat there for most of November too.

Meal plan for the rest of this week is:

T - Pasta bake and garlic bread as DH is due home late
    W - Chicken in a creamy mustard sauce (from AGCJ book), mini jackets and broccoli
    Th - Chicken and leek pie, chips and carrots and peas
    F - Veggie Chilli and spicy wedges
    S - Spanish Chicken and Chorizo rice (SW from recipe list at front of thread) followed by lemon sorbet and HM GF ginger biscuits
    Su - Sausage casserole (SC), mash, cauli and green beans followed by Jam sponges and custard

I have 2 dodgy bananas I will turn into a double chocolate and banana loaf later and a loaf of GF bread in the bread maker that smells delicious.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • bmma
    bmma Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    first nsd of the month for me x
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    Morning everyone.
    I am going to try and cut my shopping bill by half this month. We normally spend about £400 a month for 4 adults and I am aiming for £200 this month starting yesterday 6/10. I have withdrawn the cash, which I do every month anyway, and have done an inventory of what we already have. I have meal planned for the week and introduced a few money saving ideas to the household.
    Yesterday we all had porridge for brekkie and for lunch a couple of spicy bean burgers I found lurking in the back of the freezer with a couple of lurking pittas. They were yummy grilled and added to the pitta with tomato and mayo. Half a pitta each with a beetroot salad went down a treat.
    I also cooked up some blackberries from last year with our first cooking apple from our trees and made custard from whole milk that we then watered down for the rest of the week. I dug out the bread maker and did a 50/50 loaf which was fab.
    This afternoon I will be making my own butter spread with unsalted butter and sunflower oil as OH loved Lurpack but it is far too pricey.
    Shopping this morning in Al*i was £34.64 and £2.25 in Morri***s that included tinned veg for our winter store cupboard.

So £36.89/£200
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all, lynjk we dont have morrissons over here or aldi just the other ones we do have lidl though which is far better for fruit. I having a nsd as i going for a job interview in afternoon, i am working at present but this is a far better one fingers crossed, good luck all xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    I've just done an online shop of heavy stuff to be delivered thursday.
    I had some vouchers to use up & they were too good to waste.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • smiling_saver
    Options
    3 NSD from Sunday until today. I'm going to be sewing for the rest of today,with a trip to a fabric store planned later. But that isn't grocery budget. It comes out of the money i'd saved for my trip here so i can buy nice things.

It's strange, I've spent the last 10 months planning this 3 month stay here and saving like mad so i can spend comfortably whilst here, but I'm not happy spending any more.

I have 6 and a half more weeks here before going back to the UK. :( It's going so fast. But I'm really pleased with Fiance as we've got his finances sorted properly. So he finally knows where his money is going, a budget in place with a savings plan.

The $100/week grocery budget is part of that. As is paying for everything with cash.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £1.80 to add for a YS GF quiche in M&S. Only went out to pick up a click and collect item but M&S food is temptingly next door to asdar.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills