Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Water meters - pros and cons? - Page 25

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
594 replies 363.3K views

Replies

• It has been mentioned several times that unmetered bills are based on rateable value which is not linked to council tax and is now abolished.

Anyone know where you can find out what the rateable value of a house is that the bills are based on ?

Many thanks
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radarjet wrote: »
    It has been mentioned several times that unmetered bills are based on rateable value which is not linked to council tax and is now abolished.

Anyone know where you can find out what the rateable value of a house is that the bills are based on ?

Many thanks

Been asked several times.

Only the Water Companies have the Rateable Value. Councils did not have to keep any records - and I doubt any have! Even if they kept them in the archives, I doubt if they could find 20+ year old paperwork - it won't be on the computer database!

Possibly the best bet if you really want to find out(and own your property) is ask your solicitor as it might be with the deeds file. However the RV would have changed in 1973 or subsequently, so you really need to find a document dated between 1973 and 1990.
  • Actually quite a few councils do still have the RV's as it is still used in some part ( check the VOA web site as the RV is used for thousands of commercial properties)
    The last time the RV was reviewed was 1990 but it often remained the same as when it was first set.
    Ask your water company as they can tell you your RV, not that it will do much good as it can not be reviewed or changed now anyway and there is no way of getting money back if it was wrong.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Cardew and Gothicfairy - many thanks indeed.

I'll ring Severn Trent. My monthly dd is £ 36.27 which doesn't seem a lot for a 4/5 bedroomed house reading what others are paying.

I'm trying to decide whether to leave well alone or go for a trial by meter.

I have a poorly psoriasis person in the house and I know I can get a capped rate for the moment, but it's only applicable if you are on a meter - the capped rate would be £50 less a year at present. When we get the condition back under control and she comes off income support etc then we'd be back to full meterage payment which may come as a nastier shock, so I'm trying to weigh up whether a possible 1 year short term gain is worth it or whteher it may backfire after we've passed the years grace of returning to non metered ..

Thanks
  • Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a water meter removed? With yorkshire water at minute, had a water meter installed 2 years ago and it doesn't seem to be saving us any money off our bills. Live in a 3 bed house, only 2 of us and mainly use shower instead of baths, can't understand why not saving. Monthly payments have gone up by £26 a month!!!!! HELP!!!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Looby

Sorry but you can not have it removed. You would get 1 year ( or 2 bills) and after that you are stuck with it.
    Have you checked that the bill is based on actual readings and that there is no leak on your overflow or toilet ?
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Depends really on your water consumption for the size of your house. The normal tarifs set by water companies go on the number of bedrooms. For instance my mum had one installed because she lives in a 4 bedroomed house on her own. Before the meter was installed her rates were approx £60 a month. Now on a meter she is only paying approx £20 a month (as obviously her useage is alot less than a standard 4 bed house would normally use) The companies usually give you say 12 months to change your mind after having the meter installed just in case you change your mind. :)
  • FNUSNUFNUSNU Forumite
    43 posts
    Hi everyone. I'm in the process of buying a house. I'll generally be there at weekends and during periods of leave (I'm in the Army). I'm married with 1 child.
    From the sounds of it, the water meter will be the best option. The house is 18 months old and already has a meter, so from what I've seen I think I'm stuck with it anyway.
    The property has been empty for a while so I'll have to flush the pipes through though, all that water on the meter!! I'll have to save as much of it as I can to water the garden and wash the car I suppose!!
  • JjockJjock Forumite
    2 posts
    Just a note on water meters, please remember a number of factors such as your water flow rate and pressure, the higher the pressure and flow the more comes out of the tap and in essence the more you pay for. For example, if you rinse your hands on poor flow and pressure you dont use as much.. the same would apply for a quick shower, this is why when you have a water meter fitted it can end up costing you more.
  • diamond_davediamond_dave Forumite
    729 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Had our WM fitted a fortnight ago and the difference is amazing.Current bill is £918 pa(RV) and I reckon that we will halve that with the WM. When you have to pay for every ltr of water you really notice how much you use, ie. the washing machine uses about 12 gallons(54litr) per wash.have put a tank in the garden -and in a few days I have 100 gallons of free water. Dont forget that its the sewerage charge that adds to the bill = water usage x95%. I reckon that it costs us about £5.50 per cu.m(220 gallons).It does make you carefull about what you use.