Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Water meters - pros and cons? - Page 22

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
592 replies 361.6K views

Replies

• shellyshelly Forumite
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cardew wrote: »
    Are you sure it is not 12 months? It is for most companies.

It used to be 12 months but now Anglian Water give you 2 years to change your mind. We found this out recently when sorting out meter for FIL.
    :heart2: Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without :heart2:
  • lizzysheplizzyshep Forumite
    255 posts
    After some deliberation I've decided to apply for a meter. Although I have baths rather than showers, I hardly ever wash up so it might balance out!
    April Grocery Challenge: £80/£64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
  • eeeeeeeeeeeeee Forumite
    459 posts
    when you count the actuall working days its just under 13 mnths , by 2days !!
    NSD = 3/31 spent = £97.88/31 groceries = £26/31 fuel =2/31
    various debts = /£14366.89:eek:secured loan = /£13887.21 full settlement figuremortgage = /£64,342.45
    ime not debt free ,but ime trying JANUARY BIG FINANCIAL FREEZE (JBFF)no35
    proud owner of a british bullog puppies due end of jan2013
  • yes rateable value is what water rates are based on..for non metered houses. I live in a detached property with rv 250..but I only pay for water as am on a lovely septic tank so will not change. water meters came in force 1990 so we have a lot of homes/conversions out there now on meters with no other option for billing. If you are in an older house with a low rv stay put ie terrace ..flats tend to have high rv's (easy to rent out) but metering can be a problem as pipeswork means there are no individual supply pipe to put the meter on..loads of builders conviniently overlook repiping a whole property on conversion. i think if you have a power shower some companies can get stroppy and insist on a meter.
    you do not have to pay water rates on an empty unfurnished house but may pay a water charge for building works on it ie replastering due to amount of water used. so no power shower admitting and no replastering going on ..I think low rv can be rv80 upto 180ish but pls check
  • if you are buying a conversion check where the meter is as you might ring up and have loads of hassle as the property hasn't been split or merged and the infrastructure charges for water and sewerage not paid..these can be a fair few hundred pounds per service and I am not sure if utility companies will pursue you for them..they have a set rv i think of around rv 200 for house which cant be metered..please check as i havent had anything to do with this area for 5 years but the principles do not really change.
  • united utilities want £450 a year out of me for water, metered estimates for me alone are about £250 a year, and about the same as standing charge with lodger living there.

i'll bare it in mind if she decides to move out
    things arent the way they were before, you wouldnt even recognise me anymore- not that you knew me back then ;)
    BH is my best mate too, its ok :)

I trust BH even if he's from Manchester.. ;)

all your base are belong to us :eek:
  • msmoosemsmoose Forumite
    52 posts
    I've finally just paid my DEBT to united utilities for £800 for two years of unpaid water (i know i know!) and since I am living alone in a house with no meter and a shower I am wondering if I should consider having a water meter put in...

I think the bills are £300 a year for this property... would I make a saving with a meter or not...
    Tänka positiva tankar och att du alltid kan nå dina drömmar… :p
  • shellyshelly Forumite
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    msmoose wrote: »
    I've finally just paid my DEBT to united utilities for £800 for two years of unpaid water (i know i know!) and since I am living alone in a house with no meter and a shower I am wondering if I should consider having a water meter put in...

I think the bills are £300 a year for this property... would I make a saving with a meter or not...

My FIL's bill for a year is over £300 and we have finally talked him into trying a meter.
    Hubby is so confident he can save money with a meter he has promised his Dad that if it costs him more he will pay the difference.

Try one and if you don't save you can go back to being unmetered.
    :heart2: Love isn't finding someone you can live with. It's finding someone you can't live without :heart2:
  • geetgeet Forumite
    174 posts
    Hello, can someone advice? We shifted to Southern water meter in Sept 08 and had a bill of £16 for a few months then £18 for a few months - we were relieved as our non-meter rate was £33. Now we have a letter saying we have to pay £28. This they say is because of increased usage in the last five months which is NOT true because we are a couple and we both were away one full month and one of us was away for three months in the last five months. We both travel a lot. So it cannot be increased usage of water and they say rate has only marginally increased and there is no leak to explain either. Could the meter be faulty?

One kitchen sink, a washing machine, one washbasin, one shower (we don't take baths) and one closet is all we have. We hardly have visitors and we are often away. It is a mystery to us how the rate went up but if it is fact then is it not better to be at standard rate of £33 and forget about usage?

Thanks.
  • We are with Wessex Water and they are continually putting up the rate then dropping it!! So, I have no idea

Last year we were being charged £40 a month for a family of 4
    This year we are being charged £33 for teh same family in the same house :confused::confused::confused::confused: