PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Summer Cooking

Options

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Pasta with mushrooms, courgettes and creme fraiche.

Chop mushrooms into slices and courgette into bite-size pieces and saute in a little olive oil until soft. Stir in a tub of creme fraiche and cook gently til it bubbles. Just add salt and freshly ground black pepper, and maybe a little mustard if you like and serve over boiled pasta.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Hows about:

Jacket spuds, ham and salad
    Chicken & couscous
    Pasta/Rice salads
    Lamb chops, new potatoes and salad
    HM quiche and jacket spud and or salad
    Omelettes (sp?)
    BBQ foods

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i cook rice. then in a frying pan i fry mushrooms, onions, peppers , bacon, sweetcorn , peas ( well anything really ) then mix the rice in the frying pan with everything and then serve. i will either garnish with a knob of butter or grated cheese. it so quick and easy. also if i have any rice in the freezer it makes this an even quicker meal.

HTH
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi thrifty_sue,

In summer we eat a lot of lighter food most of which needs less preparation than winter food..... eg fish, chicken, quiche, baked potatoes, barbeques with a variety of salads: green salads, cous cous, pasta salads, potato salads etc

Some of the ideas on these threads might help you:

Summer Suppers

can you help with my summer meal planner?

food for hot weather

Pink
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    Couscous, peppers, mushrooms, cheese and salami

mix them altogether and you have a simple and easy meal. It is also cheap.
    Please Thank Me

Thank You
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    Monk fish in pancetta with rice peppers onion mushrooms

Another good one
    Please Thank Me

Thank You
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    A really easy meal I make is to put a bag of lamb chops (6-8) in a roasting pan filled with a few cups of soya sauce, a few generous squirts of tomato sauce and about 3-4 tbsp of honey (mix together). Add a bit of water too so it doesn't get too dry (1/2-1 cup). Chuck it all in the oven (turning once) and cook until the chops are done (takes 10-15mins usually but keep an eye on it). Bake at about 200C. Then serve with salad and jacket potato.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Help guys! It's summer, well it's supposedly summer although from where I am sitting it's hard to tell :rolleyes: and I am struggling with my OS summer cooking. I don't want to be cooking big vats of stew and stuff in my slow cooker, I feel like eating summery stuff, does that make sense? All the things I have been batch cooking seem to be carb loaded or are eaten with tonnes of carbs and I want to move away from stews and soups etc.

What light, tasty and cheap meals are you serving this summer?
    What can I make that shouts mediterranean without busting all the pennies in my purse?
    So far my menus have been stuck in about November, what can i do to make them move into the summer so I can feel the difference?

Cheers ears!
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fish kebabs; skewer chunks of white or oily fish, drizzle with honey and sesame seeds, bake in the oven for about 20 mins ... serve with a nice couscous, cucumber, tomato, olive salad ... delicious
    That's Numberwang!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been doing some tuna pasta - still carb based - but adding olives and things.

Or omelettes are cheap cheerful and summery with a side salad.

Fish served with new potatoes and veg is much lighter.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure