PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Summer Cooking

Options

Comments

• ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    On Wednesday morning it was a bit cooler, so I'd planned macaroni and cheese for supper for me and DH, DS (14) and DD (10). However, by lunchtime it was SWELTERING, and by the time DD and I got back from her riding class we were so hot that we stopped off at Sainsbury's and bought a load of "picky bits" - king prawns (marked down), hot chicken wings (99p for 10, not bad), some ready made salads etc. I made some aioli when we got home and a caesar salad, cut up a melon that was in the fridge and we all had a fantastic summer supper.
    Trouble is, I can't be doing this every day - I'd spend a fortune. The heat has turned my brain to mush and I just can't think of summery suppers - I'm still in shepherd's pie mode. DH and DS will eat anything and everything (DS will eat twice as much of it as anyone else) but DD is still a bit unadventurous (turned up her nose at the tortilla I offered her but ate it happily enough when I told her it was potato omelette - however, she won't eat peppers or anything like that).
    So, any brillo ideas, anyone? All I can think of is steak and salad.
  • mistresslenore
    Options
    Quiche is a cheap light meal and also uses up leftover eggs, milk, and whatever you fancy putting in it
    With Love From The Mistress xx :p

£2 savings club = £60 :T
    Smarties savings = £ 40.00 :T
    Both started February 2006
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same problem the other day, with the weather changing I didn't fancy any of the food we had been eating recently. I am doing homemade veggie burgers this week with some savoury rice and salad, quiche, chilli/rice/tortilla chips/sour cream, pizzas made with a pack of base mix etc.

Have you tried making some kind of wraps?
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • cliffsgirl
    cliffsgirl Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lovely summer meal is boiled new potatoes, ham and peas. corned beef is also nice with bolied potatoes. I had it monday night and it was delish!
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made the cheese and chive pudding from the observer the other day.

It was lovely with a salad

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,,1788001,00.html
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pasta salad - with tuna or avocado or leftover chicken etc
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    It's stepdaughter's birthday this weekend so I'm pushing the boat out a bit. I'm doing a mega salad tonight - hot bacon, hardboiled egg, grilled halloumi, toasted pinenuts, olives stuffed with anchovies, and the usual veggie bits, with garlic bread.

Tomorrow I'm doing caramelised pork with peaches, rice noodles and pak choi. Recipe from Ocado.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I like to make huge salads with all kinds in them - all in a huge bowl and offer Jacket potatoes to go with. One of my favourite salads is Tuna concoction - this a something I had at my friends house when I was a child and I have been making it ever since!! For 4 hungry people you need:

Two tins tuna
    4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
    4 spring onions chopped
    4 tomatoes, chopped
    6" stick of cucumber, peeled and seeded, chopped
    1 packet of cress
    chopped red pepper (optional - it wasn't in the original one I had 30 years ago!)
    4tbs salad cream
    2tbs mayonnaise
    salt and pepper

You just flake the tuna, and mix it with all the other ingredients and serve it on shredded lettuce. It sounds and looks a bit iffy but it tastes wonderful!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ChocClaire,

These older threads might give you some inspiration:

food for hot weather

Salad recipes required...

can you help with my summer meal planner?

Pink
  • thrifty_sue
    thrifty_sue Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone recommend any easy summer meals that I can make? I have a young baby so don't have too much time for cooking! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure