Spent 4 years pretending it's all OK

Options

Comments

• NoOneAround
    Options
    Morning all:)
    Its lovely and sunny here today but Ihave lots of back to school chores lined up today -'TWill be a spendy day:(

School shoes, Sax reeds for 3 saxes, mouthpiece for baritone sax:eek: so DS can use the school one when needed in various bands.
    New T-shirts/jeans for exchange trip to Germany. Euros for pocket money, gifts for host family. Pay music lesson invoice for the term. New school trousers - DS has put on a few inches over summer - too much screen time.

No further forward with mortgage yet - telephone appts got changed. Will try and see if I can get a cancellation sooner. Sounds like the company recommended by SC charge (not yet confirmed how much) so might need to find another broker. Also seems like I have to go through the whole affordability stuff even with my current provider so am a bit apprehensive about it all.

Voluntary work - raised nearly 4K in funds over the last year :) would have been nice to be on commission!!!:rotfl:

Have done day 1 of my detox - didn't really feel that hungry though it was torture when everyone else had garlic bread last night:rotfl:
    Treated myself to a pedometer from B**otS yesterday. From 4pm - 10pm I did nearly 3500 steps just doing grocery shopping and normal household stuff. So I guess in a normal day most days I must do 4-6K a day without even really knowing it.

Back later, have to go lose some pounds from my purse.

xx
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :eek: £126 on saxophone stuff for school/music
    ££119 on school shoes and sports kit/extra T-shirts for exchange trip. £4.60 parking :mad: as it torrential rain all afternoon.
    £4.19 on 6 Millies cookies:o of which I had a few crumbs.

Have walked 9285 steps so far today, will be over 10K by the time day ends. Have done two days of raw veg/fruit detox and feeling OK - haven't even felt that hungry to be honest.

DS School run starts tomorrow:( DD moving back to uni in less than 2 weeks :(

Spoke to mortgage adviser from company recommended by Step CH. Was told better to see what current provider offers first as there was only a couple of lenders that they could approach. Feeling even more apprehensive. But then I guess if we have to stay on standard rate we'll just have to find more income and try and overpay. Night shift at Te*cso?

Hope all well with everyone,
    Nite Nite all - am going for a long soak/me time.

NOAh
    xx
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DS birthday in 6 weeks time, promised him a laptop as starting GCSE but he also wants it to be a bettr than off the shelf so he can run games on it too? So it will have to be his Xmas present too.

School starts in a couple of days and I am putting together a timetable to do all the decorating by Christmas (what the kids were meant to have helped me with over the hols).
    xx
    NOA

NOA you are missing a trick here. If he wants a bells on laptop, then the deal is he helps you with the painting to earn the extra speed he thinks he needs. He is old enough to learn that he needs to work for things......
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: £126 on saxophone stuff for school/music
    ££119 on school shoes and sports kit/extra T-shirts for exchange trip. £4.60 parking :mad: as it torrential rain all afternoon.
    £4.19 on 6 Millies cookies:o of which I had a few crumbs.

Have walked 9285 steps so far today, will be over 10K by the time day ends. Have done two days of raw veg/fruit detox and feeling OK - haven't even felt that hungry to be honest.

DS School run starts tomorrow:( DD moving back to uni in less than 2 weeks :(

Spoke to mortgage adviser from company recommended by Step CH. Was told better to see what current provider offers first as there was only a couple of lenders that they could approach. Feeling even more apprehensive. But then I guess if we have to stay on standard rate we'll just have to find more income and try and overpay. Night shift at Te*cso?

Hope all well with everyone,
    Nite Nite all - am going for a long soak/me time.

NOAh
    xx

Hi NOAh,

I know you don't like listening to blokes :o !

I said ages ago that you should exhaust all possibilities with your current lender first :). That's what I do and have been pretty satisfied with the way they have treated me. They would have to be seriously poor for me to go through the 'teeth pulling' you are going through with brokers. Honestly NOAh, I couldn't bear the thought :(

I know you are charming, funny, persuasive and get your own way so go to it ;) !!

Brogden xx (an extra x to show I'm not hurt!) :)
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Morning Brogden,
    You shouldn't be hurt at all because I have listened to you. Probably my rushed posts don't make much sense - I tend to type and submit without re-reading (used to spend hours perfecting reports for no gain - 95% is good enough!) as long as its off your chest/desk it's good enough:rotfl:;)

Anyway I did listen - To all advice and contacted both. It's taken this long to get anywhere because I have had an initial telephone conversation and the earliest appointment I could get was Monday 14th September (I am working next week and they couldn't do any evening ones). I still seem to have to go through all the income and expenditure/affordability stuff - possibly because we have 96K on interest only? I have only had 2 brief conversations with the mortgage broker (one was my call to them - the other the actual adviser calling back - kept missing each others calls as I was away helping parents last week. So I still have all my teeth :D and a nice set of gnashers
    they are too - no fillings:p

Yes I know its taken a long time to get nowhere:o I had asked my provider for a cancellation apt if one came up this week but it hasn't. Until its sorted there will be apprehension - am a born worrier (no matter how many self help books I read!).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    NOAh
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    NOA you are missing a trick here. If he wants a bells on laptop, then the deal is he helps you with the painting to earn the extra speed he thinks he needs. He is old enough to learn that he needs to work for things......
    chev

Morning Chev,
    DS has been helping me in the garden this summer a fair bit, for pocket money, however he can't save - spends everything to the last penny week by week, mostly on rubbish sweets etc. He'll have to learn the hard way.
    I won't be doing their rooms but will do the downstairs as that is what bugs me most at the moment. School term is pretty full on with lots of Saturdays for Rugby too, so I'm not expecting anything much until half term now.

And I haven't decided yet if he'll get what he wants - it will depend on whether we get a good few enquiries in for self employed work, it has gone very quiet - I want him to be reducing screen time this year - not buying him better stuff to encourage him to play more!

NOA
    x
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Until its sorted there will be apprehension - am a born worrier no matter how many self help books I read

Step away from the self help books NOA.............seriously;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    HI Igamogam:)
    I wondered who would pick up on that:p
    My favourite self help books at the moment are .....................
    'RHS encyclopaedia of Gardening' and 'RHS encyclopaedia of Plant and Flowers'. I hope you approve.:rotfl:

xx
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DS has been helping me in the garden this summer a fair bit, for pocket money, however he can't save - spends everything to the last penny week by week, mostly on rubbish sweets etc. He'll have to learn the hard way.
    NOA
    x

Has your son ever been any better with money? Im interested. At the moment my 6 year old (7 in November) will save. He has been paid this summer for coming to the business with me, instead of going to his childcare. His choice. As there is quite a difference in the daily rate I'd have to pay out for that, I'd given him quite a generous amount for basically sitting around watching cartoons, but to him it was 'wages' he did spend some, on toys, sweets etc..but when we pointed out that its good to save, he did manage to put around half into his bank account.
    I wonder whether by chipping away from this age he will be a good money habits person, or whether all teens just lose the will & want to spend it up?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • NoOneAround
    Options
    Hi Bob,
    He must have enjoyed that - as long as he doesn't think going to 'work' for wages means going in to watch TV:rotfl:
    It's good that your DS seems to be saving, that's quite hard to do for younger children.

My DS has always been the same, for a while I gave up on pocket money as he has an innate need to blow it all as soon as he has it. He also loves Eating. Can't resist. Occasionally he has managed to save up to about £100 for a big purchase , but then spent it all on smaller things for immediate gratification. :( He's nearly 15 and should understand - its been explained often enough. The real problem is that all his peers have all this "stuff" already, and they don't have to work for it.

DD on the other hand is very good at going without to save for things she really wants to do, and has been from about 12. She has worked hard all summer and saved loads for next year. She has redefined the meaning of frugal ;) - just so she can buy herself the new iphone. Now its getting closer to the purchase, she keeps saying she doesn't want to spend her "dollar", she likes to see it sitting in her bank
    :rotfl::rotfl:

So there you are......
    Two siblings albeit of different gender, same nurture, two extremes of behaviour with money.

Your DS has made a good start, long may it last:), I suspect I didn't start early enough.
    xx
    NOAh
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure