The Great "Self Discipline" Hunt

Options

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I sleep on it. If I still want it, I get it. But I do find I have managed to talk myself out of most things by the next day.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My tip is simple - Join in the PaP/Moozie 'What will you spend today and weekly spends challenge'.
    For me it has been one of the major factors in limiting my daily spends, since I know I'll have to account to the whole forum for any overspends.
    That's all the discipline I need.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I focus on my end goal - moving away from my awful neighbours! no amount of pretty clothes or cds would mean as much as being able to sell up and move somewhere better but given my debts at the mo a bigger mortgage would be mad (and probably unavailable)!
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Aug  35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2400/7000

Mortgage balance: £52212

• dubgirl
    dubgirl Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If I see something in a shop then I walk away and go back several days later to see if I really want it - give myself several days to ponder on the potential purchase and whether it is absolute necessary - I use this technique particularly when thinking about shoes and handbags.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    1) Leave the cards at home
    2) Only keep an emergency tenner in your pocket for real emergencies
    3) Concentrate on something you really like - my example would be diving holidays(!) When I want a big pressie, I actually measure it by what I wouldn't be able to afford - so think "well, that is equivalent to a days diving in Red Sea" or "My goodness, I have saved £20 per month on insurance that's half a diving holiday over a year"!
    4) As well as Martin's points about buying generally, I would add "and can I get points or discount?"
    5) Don't change your pin numbers to numbers you will remember!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • alant1000
    alant1000 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    i remember when i was about 21 i spent sooooooo much money and was always sooooo overdrawn or ended up with suchhhhh a small amount of money at the end of the month that eventually i was too scared to look at my balance.

i got to the point where i was used to being totally skint, and even on payday told myself i was still skint.

Anyway i did this for about 3 years out of habit - never opened bank statements, never looked at my balance, made my tenners last as long as possible, and just acted poor. Anyway i had no choice but to check my balance one day as i changed banks..... and had AMASSED £2100 in savings that i just was NOT expecting to be there :T . I was well pleased. Even now i hate looking at my bank balance, i roughly know how much i have free to soend each month after bills, but that little bit of paranoia has helped me spend less.

:beer:
    I never missed a payment :T , I paid off all my credit cards :T , I paid of all my loans :T , i have a work mobile :T - but am now "medium" credit risk :confused:
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because I see clothes as something to keep me warm/dry, I don't buy them very often. Indeed this has been an expensive year as several pairs of trousers gave up the ghost at the same time:rolleyes: !

But because I don't buy often I tend to buy things that don't date, ie classic cut things that can be worn any year (well I think so anyway!). Keeping up with fashion is a mugs game. I also rarely buy clothes full price, it is either in the sale, off ebay or a charity shopt.

Perhaps my biggest tip is DON'T BE PROUD. Ie
    New baby? Being offered lots of clothes - big smile and think how many £100's you just saved.
    Sofa packed up. Get one off freecycle - big smile and think that another x £'s towards my debt.

That sort of thing. People seem to have this obsession with having things new, which often means on credit and at full price. There is no concept of delayed gratification now, ie wait to see if it gets reduced and THEN buy.

Sorry turned into a bit of an essay, I'll get my coat.....(just bought a new coat, but my last one lasted me 20 years:D :eek: !)
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • alant1000
    alant1000 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    oh yeah and another one that i do is only buy stuff on ebay using my paypal account with stuff i have also sold, so its like my own stash of cash for pressies for myself and luxuries that dont hit the "real world" money from my pay slip. I dont feel so bad treating myself then. Its amazing how much cash i make on ebay through some real tat, a watch i only wore once is £44 with 3 days to go! Vinyl records, clothes, old phones, CD's, books, go through the shed and garage for tools, its amazing...

..and the final tip for ebay is to use the auctionsniper site, since using that i am definitely geting items cheaper. :T
    I never missed a payment :T , I paid off all my credit cards :T , I paid of all my loans :T , i have a work mobile :T - but am now "medium" credit risk :confused:
  • alanaplin
    alanaplin Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before buying anything I ask myself do I REALLY need the item. If I don't then I don't buy it. This is except for holidays which I can afford by not spending money on things I think I would like.
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    my tips are a mixture of above :)

1) join the moozie/me challange weekly and post every day... even if its only 10p

2) i have a 'take' on martins mantras... this stops me spending... especially if i can buy it online with cashback, free delivery and a free gift :D

3) charity shops/ebay... i know that whatever i buy i can buy cheaper at a charity shop/ebay... so if i decide i 'need' the lastest pink money bank i do the mantra then look online and write down all the 'extras' then i search ebay/charity shops untill i know for certain i have to buy something new... obviously you cant do this with certain products

4) take out a set ammount each week (doing tip 1) helps with this ;)) from the bank and once its gone its gone, you then think twice about picking up a £1 icecream when you only have £1.25 and its only wednesday

5) carry a a picture/quote/sum in your purse of you goal or aim then when you are looking at buying something take a look in your purse you will not buy it

6) challenges ~ anything from savings/grocery spends/weekly budget/weightloss you are bound to find somewhere on this site you can join up to a challenge, the best one is the grocery one knowing you ahve £10 for a weeks food and thats it makes you very frugal

7) finally ask this site... people get fed up of my posts asking should i buy this/give this money away/lend this etc etc but seriously if you are part of a group then they wont mind and its nice to see an outside perspective on your spending

hth ~ superpap :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport