🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great "Self Discipline" Hunt

Options

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have found the following 3 'rules' useful:
    1. Don't buy, do something else = a diversion tactic that means I keep busy.
    2. Look in the cupboard = I still have so much 'stuff' that I can find something like it to 'make do'.
    3. Think about it = wait 24/ 48 hours / till the weekend / next week / next month
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My signiture outlines my view on reducing spending. I find it very effective.

I also don't go SHOPPING. From this I mean go out for the day shopping as a form of social entertainment. Also when I shop I shop with my shopping list.

I find that at Ikea I can spend more money on things I don't really need even when it is not on my shopping list. So what I do is I stop just before the tills and I go through the trolley and remove about 1/2 the stuff and put them aside.

Not going out shopping also means that I am not tempted to buy all those lovely things that are displayed in the shop. They are far too tempting for anyone. Shops spend loads of money to make it hard for use to resist the temptation to buy their things so it is far easier to not go shopping (for non essencial items) at all unless you REALLY need to.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Transfer the word credit in your head for the word debt.

Makes a difference psychologically.

Attempt to plan your meals each week instead of impulse shopping in the supermarket after work.......*looks embarrassed* which is what I still do......but not as much as I did.

Repeat after me

if your buying online do you get cashback re quidco.

Piggypoints from pigsback = free vouchers

if buying big items from stores say 'whats the best price you can give me for this'.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • remrats
    remrats Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I am fortunate that as a supply teacher, I can work more or less when I want. I am always amazed how little I spend when I'm working - so I guess it figures just keep busy and don't give yourself the opportunity to spend.(written as a bit of a shopaholic, but also one who is getting into Charity Shops - What bargains!)
  • remrats
    remrats Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    :T I am fortunate that as a supply teacher, I can work more or less when I want. I am always amazed how little I spend when I'm working - so I guess it figures just keep busy and don't give yourself the opportunity to spend.(written as a bit of a shopaholic, but also one who is getting into Charity Shops - What bargains!)
  • 1_step_closer
    Options
    My tip is:

How quickly am I going to end up dusting it/moving it to under the stairs or back of wardobe to eventually end up in the attic!

another tip that works for me is:

Lose your pride. Second hand/charity shop/freebie is as good as the brand new item.

and if do end up buying things:

Can I get it via quidco!!!!

Martin I would like to add at this point that it has never taken me so long to finally order my Harry Potter book!!!!!!!!!
    If you wait for perfect conditions, nothing would ever get done! :T
    I'm not short - I'm condensed awesome! :p
  • irishmist_2
    irishmist_2 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    A mixture of things have helped me to keep determined and more discplined(well most of the time!)

-thinking about what I will be able to do when i am debt free and really building that up as a picture in my mind helps a lot
    -getting involved in other stuff has really helped - recently did a charity challenge that meant loads of fundraising and then lots of training for the challenge itself and it was brilliant to have another focus and was an absolutely brilliant experience - also gave me great things to talk about when explaining why i couldn't go away for a girl's weekend, big night out etc....
    -setting a weekly budget
    -something i read on another thread (can't remember who to credit this to - sorry) - that they go to work to earn money and not spend it - that's really stuck with me since and have drastically cut down on going out for lunch, coffee, bringing nice biscuits in etc
    -finding that being creative works and can be fun - planning fun social stuff to do in the evenings and weekends with friends that is free or v cheap - am amazed at how many people also say they are strapped for cash when given an excuse to do something else that is cheap/free rather than go out for a meal etc
    -and of course coming on here every day even if just very briefly - i find that checking in thing really helps
  • sophiesmum_2
    sophiesmum_2 Posts: 4,965 Forumite
    Options

Martin I would like to add at this point that it has never taken me so long to finally order my Harry Potter book!!!!!!!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: snap!!!! Don't think I will be able to not get it though...been in my basket on amazon for ages but so far resisted going to checkout:D

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    alant1000 wrote: »
    ii got to the point where i was used to being totally skint, and even on payday told myself i was still skint.
    ..... made my tenners last as long as possible, and just acted poor.
    Unfortunately for some of us the opposite is true: we are permanently in debt so the attitude is "what the hell"; I can't afford basic groceries so I am going to buy more expensive ones/ a small treat anyway." If this fits you, watch yourselves.

A friend has recently got a Saturday job in an estate agents to help with her debts, she already has a high pressure full time job. This has the dual effect of stopping her window shopping and earning some dosh at the same time.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I plan meals unfortunately if I go to the supermarket, greengrocer or any food store when I'm hungry I will impulse buy if something is on special offer or suddenly in season. The old saying don't go shopping when you are hungry works for me as then I stick to my list.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport