We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it ok to buy, wear and return clothes?

Options

Comments

• Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    This is frankly dishonest, as well as the fact that you are returning soiled garments. You should buy your clothes at charity shops if you cannot afford new ones.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    After a while you would struggle to find shops that would let you buy anything as they'd tag onto what you were doing and refuse to serve you.
  • Sunny_Saver
    Options
    Is this a having a laugh at our expense question?
    Is it really a question or dilemma at all?

How would you like to buy a 'new' jacket only to find someone else's hanky in its pocket because someone wore it and took it back? Or a dress smelling of someone's perfume.
    You don't mind? Ok well go ahead.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a having a laugh at our expense question?
    Is it really a question or dilemma at all?

How would you like to buy a 'new' jacket only to find someone else's hanky in its pocket because someone wore it and took it back? Or a dress smelling of someone's perfume.
    You don't mind? Ok well go ahead.

I can't get my head around this not being a case of fraud; it clearly states on most if not all receipts that items can be returned (as a goodwill gesture I will add as no company has to do allow a return unless it's defective or bought online) but only if they are in unworn and re-sellable condition. Not unworn OR re-sellable condition, but unworn AND re-sellable condition.

So wearing an item and then taking it back via the returns policy, either the person taking back the item is especially stupid because they don't remember they have worn the item, (in which case should they really be allowed to be incharge of their own wallet and so bank balance or even out alone) or they are knowingly committing fraud and going against the clear rules stated in the returns policy.

It should not be up to staff of a store to have to smell the crotch/underarm/check the hems of trousers...etc to test if an item has been worn, it's just embarrassing for everyone and most being on or a few penny's from minimum wage, their not paid enough to police people, shoppers need to act responsibly and get a back-bone and stop trying to get one over on the staff.
  • fatnan
    fatnan Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Some time ago I bought my daughter an expensive cardigan for a birthday present. When she tried it on for the first time she found a disgusting used hanky in the pocket, presumably left by a 'returner'. No way is it ever ok to perform this stunt, no matter how short of money you are.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The few items I order from Kays catalogue these days always tend to have a large red triangle label fastened somewhere conspicuous - so not one you could tuck in and wear and then return - which makes sense. Once removed its non-returnable - a simple solution.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Sunny_Saver
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I can't get my head around this not being a case of fraud; it clearly states on most if not all receipts that items can be returned (as a goodwill gesture I will add as no company has to do allow a return unless it's defective or bought online) but only if they are in unworn and re-sellable condition. Not unworn OR re-sellable condition, but unworn AND re-sellable condition.

So wearing an item and then taking it back via the returns policy, either the person taking back the item is especially stupid because they don't remember they have worn the item, (in which case should they really be allowed to be incharge of their own wallet and so bank balance or even out alone) or they are knowingly committing fraud and going against the clear rules stated in the returns policy.

It should not be up to staff of a store to have to smell the crotch/underarm/check the hems of trousers...etc to test if an item has been worn, it's just embarrassing for everyone and most being on or a few penny's from minimum wage, their not paid enough to police people, shoppers need to act responsibly and get a back-bone and stop trying to get one over on the staff.

My comment about 'go ahead' was sarcastic.

I just think this is a wind-up question. Surely the poster knows it's wrong?
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • loue91
    Options
    I used to work in retail and was very surprised by how many people do it! I had to process returns for many smelly clothes covered in dog/cat hairs! We were told to just do it!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My comment about 'go ahead' was sarcastic.

I just think this is a wind-up question. Surely the poster knows it's wrong?

I know, I was talking to you not at you.

Sorry you didn't see that.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Of course it's not right, why would you even ask the question?
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills