IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Speeding ticket received - no idea who driver was

Options

Comments

• atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are also the cases where the registered keeper is a company, not a named individual.
    Vans out on the road with two employees, either of which could be driving as both allowed to do so.
    Director gets the form, asks both who it was, both say no idea, form returned accordingly, with no further action.

So, it does happen, but that form has to be returned.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    You have an inalienable right to view the evidence prior to committing yourself to a definitive answer. And failing conclusive visual proof of the guilty party, if you have the balls to defy by failing to sign the declaration (on the grounds of possible perjury) could well mean that it would be dropped just before getting to court and evolving into a lengthy theoretical and problematic argument devoid of any evidence of who did it – the confession or denunciation is worthless without a signature – and their need to prove culpability beyond doubt to gain a conviction may well be viewed as a waste of time. And there is always the chance that they will !!!! it up anyway without needing your input. But you would have to be prepared for court and that is the lever applied to most motorists, as they don’t want to be inconvenienced and just quit rather than risk having to attend court.
    If you've ever read anything on the Speeding forum on Pepipoo, you'll know that most of what you have written is wrong. You have no right to see any "evidence" until you've pleaded not guilty to an offence. Going unsigned, as they call it, will definitely result in a prosecution for failing to furnish (Scotland is a little different), and the bar for equital is pretty high (as the magistrates have seen every excuse under the sun). Looking at it from the point of view of the police/CPS, the OP is just another punter trying to wriggle out of sticking their hand up to something.

I would recommend the OP asks on the relevant Pepipoo forum. Sounds like you have been given a second chance to nominate someone. You must make every effort to reconstruct the day in order to identify ONE PERSON to nominate. Anything but an unequivocal response will result in a summons, no matter how unfair it seems.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atilla wrote: »
    There are also the cases where the registered keeper is a company, not a named individual.
    Vans out on the road with two employees, either of which could be driving as both allowed to do so.
    Director gets the form, asks both who it was, both say no idea, form returned accordingly, with no further action.

So, it does happen, but that form has to be returned.

Would the company not still get a fine for failing to keep a record of who is driving their vehicle?
  • atilla
    atilla Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Would the company not still get a fine for failing to keep a record of who is driving their vehicle?
    They return the form stating the two possible [STRIKE]culprits[/STRIKE], drivers.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    Bargepole's advice is absolutely on the money.

Keep in mind that the process of writing letters and the response from the police does not stop the clock in terms of your duty to respond within 28 days.

As stated above, although you are not automatically entitled to see any evidence writing and asking for copies of any still photographs the police may have that will assist you to fulfil your legal obligation to identify the driver normally elicits photos.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2014 at 7:32PM
    Options
    You have an inalienable right to view the evidence prior to committing yourself to a definitive answer. And failing conclusive visual proof of the guilty party, if you have the balls to defy by failing to sign the declaration (on the grounds of possible perjury) could well mean that it would be dropped just before getting to court and evolving into a lengthy theoretical and problematic argument devoid of any evidence of who did it.

Very bad advice.

The evidence would only be made available following a not guilty plea at court.

A lot has changed since 2002, if a signed reply to the s.172 request is not received unequivocally nominating the driver, the original offence is not proceeded with, and person that form is addressed to will usually be summonsed for failing to nominate the driver. Which for speeding, can easily turn a driver awareness course/FPN for £100 and 3 points to a £600 fine and 6 points.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    If you've ever read anything on the Speeding forum on Pepipoo, you'll know that most of what you have written is wrong. You have no right to see any "evidence" until you've pleaded not guilty to an offence.

Really, MUII that most forces are happy to provide photographs "to help you identify the driver" When I received an NIP at Nottingham photographs were readily provided. In Reading bus lane penalties photographs are available to view on the internet.

Where else do you think I am wrong?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    HO87 wrote: »
    Bargepole's advice is absolutely on the money.

Agreed, subject to what I said in post #10.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've ever read anything on the Speeding forum on Pepipoo, you'll know that most of what you have written is wrong. You have no right to see any "evidence" until you've pleaded not guilty to an offence.

Really, MUII that most forces are happy to provide photographs "to help you identify the driver" When I received an NIP at Nottingham photographs were readily provided. In Reading bus lane penalties photographs are available to view on the internet.

Most speeding partnerships etc. are happy to send photographs, but there is no right to them, or any other evidence, until a not guilty plea is entered at court.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 August 2014 at 8:27PM
    Options

That is not "evidence", as suggested by the OP. There is no "inalienable right to view the evidence prior to committing yourself to a definitive answer."** They don't have to provide, and anyway, we know they aren't any help in this case. So, you're not wrong there, as such.

However, as pointed out by others, prevaricating over who may have been driving, including not signing, will lead to a Failing to Furnish prosecution, no matter how unfair it may seem. To defend such a charge will need demonstration of exhaustive and detailed efforts to determine who the driver was, not simply "I asked around and everyone denied it was them."

[** EDIT, to save misunderstanding. You can't demand evidence until you've decided to go Not Guilty. In other words, you can't ask for their evidence in order to decide if they've got enough against you. Once you've got a summons for an offence, then you can start to get the prosecution evidence, but not before. Photos to help identify the driver is a courtesy, nothing more.]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure