* Breaking The Habit.... Hopefully.

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm impressed with your figures, Stewby - knowing to the penny where it all went! Wow! Well done you!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    thought I had posted but obviously not...
    :think:

I have tried really hard to be good with my money this month and focus on where it is all going. Just because I knew it was going to be an expensive month.
    :o

But thank you for the confidence boost. It's always great to have hard work recognised.
    :)
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • stewby
    Forumite
    So... had a challenging few days with my auntie and cousin but I survived relatively unscathed.
    However, it did make me re-evaluate my life and be more grateful for what I have.

I have spent years spouting off about how the grass is never actually greener on the other side but have never really believed it myself, always staring at other people and their lives and being a wee bit jealous.
    This week has taught me so much about being grateful for what I have and that appearances can be deceptive.

One of my relatives who I thought had it all, actually doesn't. She gets all the shiny, bling "look at us" stuff but doesn't actually get any real support.
    So whilst my OH is supporting my cost-cutting measures and my savings shemes, hers is buying expensive holidays for them both... but isn't contributing towards the house they both live in.
    I prefer my life to hers in that respect. The grass is definitely not greener on that side.
    :eek:

Another one of my relatives is grumpy with her OH for having a child before they got together and for choosing the child over her when they had plans to go to a concert together.
    They actually fell out over him putting the child first.

I could never imagine arguing over something that small (missing a concert due to a child) so the grass is definitely greener where I am standing right now.
    :shocked:

It's been a bit of a revelation this past week so I am going to make it work for me.
    I am a very very lucky person to be where I am at this stage in life. I should remember that whenever I look at someone else's grass (unless they have won the lottery).
    ;)
  • stewby
    Forumite
    So.... Sounds pathetic but starting afresh in November due to budgetting issues.

OH is now getting paid monthly so everything is now getting done monthly and will be a lot more straightforward (hopefully).

Basic Money:
    So... OH will now pay £200 towards the house and £60 towards the food each month.
    I will also be paying £60 toward the food each month and this will be from my budget account. Obviously, the other housey costs come from my main account.

Pots:
    * £50 each a month - Bongo Pot.
    * £50 each a month - Holiday Pot.
    * £28 - £31 each a month - Xmas Pot.

So... Money is all sorted but I am still feeling like I should be more grateful. I have enjoyed really good health which is something I have taken for granted I suppose.

It is the dreaded diet time...

The aim is to be a lot slimmer in time for OH's sister's wedding. Which is August 2016 so a fair bit a way yet.
    Ideally I want to lose 5 stone which is 70lbs.

Time to be blunt and admit my guilt:
    Current Weight - 217lbs.
    Target Weight - 147lbs.

Weight to lose - 70lbs.
    Time to lose it in - 95 weeks.

Aim is to lose approximately 2lbs every week although I know this will fluctuate dramatically over the next couple of years.

I need to remain positive and get my a$$ off this computer and on to the wiifit. One hour of exercise here we come.
    :j
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Hello.
    :D

So... Looking at the November plan. Have discussed the money I owe mum and she is going to take it back over the next couple of months which takes the pressure off a wee bit.

Budgets:
    £60 - food.
    £40 - fuel.
    £30 - mum.
    £80 - off credit card.
    Budget Total = £210.

15 Spend-Free Days and Lunch to work.
    Self-explanitory really.

Food Donation:
    Will do this of course. £5 when we are in morries. Not very sure what to give at this time of year as I am always tempted to give treats. Just because people are struggling, doesn't mean they don't deserve treats.

:undecided

Outings:
    Well, we had one today. We had an afternoon tea at a local garden centre. £20 for both of us and we came away with a box of cakes as well.
    Second outing... I have no idea to be honest. Will have to have a think.

:huh:

Get Moving:
    Yep... I am already trying this one. Aiming to do an hour of wiifit three times a week. Work is extremely active at the moment so it is helping. Have managed to lose 1lb this week and that is despite me "retaining water" and also cracking at work and scoffing chocolate.

:(

Removing £10:
    OH pays me £60 towards our food budget so I wasn't keen to mess around with this as it is a bank transfer. So... we both put in our £60 each for the food budget then removed £10 and put it in a pot. OH chose and he added it to the Bongo Pot.

:D

Personal Challenge:
    I don't want to go down the route of diet... again as I feel I am becoming a bit of a two dimensional character. A bit flat so am thinking about what to do. I think my plan is to finish adding thirty recipes to our recipe folder. That is one each day. It will also give me something to talk about.
    It isn't a massively personal or amazing challenge but it is something I can work on and get a sense of achievement with.

On a different note... I am a third of the way through making my collage frame and whilst there are not any pictures of me in it, I am really happy with how it looks so far.

P.S: Credit card is almost £1000 less than when I started taking it seriously in August. Feeling pretty good about that as we haven't exactly sacraficed too much for the past couple of months.
    Hopefully going to pay £500 off this month.
    :T
  • stewby
    Forumite
    So... today I found my wedding shoes.

They will be handmade which means the man can make them with any tartan, including my family tartan. He has also said that if we pay for the tartan, he will also make me two clutch bags and two hair scrunchies. (bag each for me and my bridesmaid, both hair bobbles for me).
    My hair will be down for the wedding ceremony but up afterwards. I hate having my hair down.

My dress is also being made for me as I have a very clear picture of what I want. A very classic style dress (not poofy) with corsetting detail at the back where a hunting stewart ribbon will be laced through. This is hunting stewart:

http://www.greatscottishclans.com/clans/stewart.php

This is kinda like the dress I want (but maybe not so runched at the side).

http://www.lightinthebox.com/a-line-v-neck-chapel-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-631162_p631162.html

I am not really one for sparkles and glitz so don't really see the point in adding them to the dress. My bridesmaid will be in navy, the same style of dress as mine.
    I have maybe thought about this too much.

Anyways... had wrote this for another thread but didn't want to bore them with tales of my wedding plans. Hence why I am boring you guys instead.
    :p
  • Not boring! Awesome indeed :D:D

Now I know there is a diary I am off to backread ;)
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Hey lilt.

Yeah, this is where my rambly stuff hides out. Normally, I am either thinking aloud (like planning the monthly stuff before the month begins) or when I cut back on my rambling on other threads. I am very aware of annoying other people with my ramblingness.

I have just found the most amazing "bottom" to my dress. In fact, I think it will be the finished bottom bit.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/A-line-Strapless-Floor-length-Satin-Organza-Wedding-Dress--FSY02267-_p152562.html

It won't be strapless, and there will be the corsetting detailling on the back but I absolutely love the bottom bit of this dress.

I will apologise now for the chaotic nature of my posting lilt. I am quite immature and tend to struggle with being adult. (if I am excited then I can't act all calm and normal, the excitement generally comes across in my writing).

Hugs to everyone.
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 6,600
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Those dresses are lovely and will be gorgeous made up how you want with the ribbon detail.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Hey scuby!!

Sorry, still rabbiting on about this wedding. It did leave the diary for a while but the shoes have brought it back with a vengance.

How is everything going with you?? I hope your cold is getting better.
    Hugs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business