* Breaking The Habit.... Hopefully.

Comments

• stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Budget.... this is ever so slightly crazy so I apologise in advance. We shall start with the easy bit:

BASICS
    Food - £60 (technically £40 as we are using £20 for AT).
    Petrol - £40.
    TOTAL = £100!

:)

LONDON
    Attractions - £19. (£38 gets both of us entry into Tower of London and HMS Belfast).
    Transport - £16. (£32 for the train as I have already paid my share of the flights).
    Food - £30.
    Spends - £100.
    TOTAL = £165!

:D

ALTON TOWERS
    Theme Park - £41.70 (total for the three of us is £83.40 but OH is going to pay half. We have the 2-4-1 offer and we have £15 off vouchers for the third ticket).
    Food - £0 (£20 being taken from food budget and majority of food being taken from freezer as we are having bbqs).
    Petrol - £100 (we are taking the bongo, this is just my half as my OH is paying the other half).
    Campsite - already paid for.
    Spends - £30
    TOTAL = £171.70!

:grin:

WEE HOLIDAY
    petrol - £0 (just whatever is left in the car. family pay for any extra).
    food - £0 (family pay for food).
    Spends - £100 (already saved).
    TOTAL = £100!

:o

TOTAL FOR THE WHOLE MONTH = £536.70!!

Obviously the spends might be less. This is just what I have budgetted for the month.

This will use up my entire £400 budget account and £136.70 of my savings account (will have £200 in there in total so a wee bit of wiggle room).
    :undecided

Erm... so this is my budget for October. Does it terrify anyone else??
    :eek:
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • It looks like you have an awesome month planned and it's all budgetted for.

I'm sure you'll stick to the budget too as long as nothing unexpected happens.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • I try to build some wiggle room into budgets - so that I can feel smug when I have 'surplus', even if only pennies!

It's going to be a special month by the sound of it - one that creates a lot of good memories. Enjoy!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    So... fantastic news... one of our friends is now coming and she is making up our fourth person. So that makes it 4 people - £100 for the four of us.
    We are paying three quarters as there are three of us. Which means instead of £83.40 for the three of us, it is now £75!!
    Which makes it £37.50 each for me and OH!!!!!
    :j

I know it's not a massive difference but it is to me. I am hoping these little savings will continue to happen which will allow me to shave even more off the holiday budget I hope.

My parents have given me £20 towards Alt0n Tow3rs (to help pay towards us taking our niece) which reduces our budget further. Hooray!!

If I can manage to get the budget to under £500, I will be absolutely ecstatic as it would mean I have managed to pay for a wonderful month (potentially what I would call a holiday) without needing to use my credit card at all.
    :shocked:

I might be becoming a financially responsible adult.
  • Hi Stewby,

I've just read your diary from beginning to end and I'd love to tag along for the ride if that's OK?! Your positivity is infectious!!

I'll be posting a diary of my own once I've sorted out what I want to say. Off to do that now in fact.

Best wishes,
    Thistle :D
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: £90200
    Mortgage at end 08/2018: £71646 paid £18354 (20.5%)
    MFD: :eek:Original:05/2042:eek:
    Car Finance: £8225 : £6392 (22.2% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): £5640 : £4400 (21.7% paid off)

Age of Money at 31/08/2018 = 23 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    great news thistle. let me know when you have started it up and I will follow you.
    What is your plan for debt-busting?? If you have any secret tips, I would love to hear them.

We want to still enjoy life and do things whilst trying to get rid of the debt. After all, why should my OH get punished for my debt. It's hardly fair but then he feels guilty going without me.
    So the debt needs to be eliminated...

If anyone has any tips or anything then please let me know. £500 is kinda my limit for monthly payments but any hints on how to do fun stuff using less money. We want to enjoy ourselves.
    :p

We have currently got a national trust for scotland membership which is working out quite well.
    But anything else would be good. (we currently use this website, t0pc4shb4ck and h0tukd34ls).
    Oh, and for london we are using the train sites 2-4-1 deal.
  • Hi Stewby,

I've started my diary! The kettle is on! Do pop by!

T:D
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: £90200
    Mortgage at end 08/2018: £71646 paid £18354 (20.5%)
    MFD: :eek:Original:05/2042:eek:
    Car Finance: £8225 : £6392 (22.2% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): £5640 : £4400 (21.7% paid off)

Age of Money at 31/08/2018 = 23 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    greetings from down south.

well... London was yesterday and early figures indicate that I am under budget. I am going to get a mini statement to double check my numbers but it appears that I only (I know, only is such a weird word to use) £127.31!!!!!!!!
    That was including food, transport (except flights), attractions and shopping!!
    So I am feeling pretty damn pleased with myself.
    :j

Can't buy OH's sister and fiance a meal as we are going to grandad's house for lunch instead.

We might have just managed to do London on a budget!!!!!!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    London
    Right... mini statement shows that I have spent a grand total of: £176.55
    This puts me a whole £11.55 over budget!!

:(

This does cover the entire weekend (excluding flights) so not too bad considering.

I am a bit disappointed as I had tried to limit my spending however we had an amazing time. It was fantastic and worth every penny.

So... need to claw back that £11.55 somehow.
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Good evening.

I am currently trying to figure out budgets and spends for Alt0n T0w3rs.

* Theme Park - £37.50 (£75 divided by 2).
    * Food - £42.90 (£20 from fb + £22.90 in AT).
    * Fuel - £100 (£200 divided by 2).
    * Campsite - £8 extra as took niece.
    * Spends - £15 (a pressie for my nephew).

Total for Alt0n T0w3rs = £ 203.40

So I am over-budget by £31.70...
    ... however...

OH has just paid me £30 towards Alt0n T0w3rs which puts me just £1.70 overbudget which is not so horrendous sounding.

Confession time... my £100 fuel went on the credit card but I have the money in my main account to pay it off. I just didn't want to risk not having enough money so thawed it out. I feel so guilty admitting to using it.
    :embarasse

OH has also just paid me £45 for the London trip.

* I had £42 left in my budget account after the weekend so add that to the money OH has paid me and I now have: £117 for my last wee trip away!!

So... trying to keep on top of everything but pretty sure I need to have a lean November in order to sort everything out again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business