Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

'We've reached a tipping point' Signs of house price weakness

Options

Comments

• The-Joker
    Options
    robmatic wrote: »
    How's that plan to buy a house with a few ounces of silver going?

Going very well. In 2007 when all of us silver bugs were screaming buy silver at £5 per oz the silver to house price ratio was 40,000:1.

Average house price in the UK was around £200K and silver was £5oz at the end of 2007.

Now silver has more than doubled to £11oz and looks set to carry on up at an increasing rate.

Meantime the average UK house price continues to fall at an increasing rate, and that is in nominal terms. Real inflation taken into account and house prices are going down about as fast as silver is going up.
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • Bubble_and_Squeak
    Options
    The-Joker wrote: »
    Going very well. In 2007 when all of us silver bugs were screaming buy silver at £5 per oz the silver to house price ratio was 40,000:1.

Average house price in the UK was around £200K and silver was £5oz at the end of 2007.

Now silver has more than doubled to £11oz and looks set to carry on up at an increasing rate.

Meantime the average UK house price continues to fall at an increasing rate, and that is in nominal terms. Real inflation taken into account and house prices are going down about as fast as silver is going up.

hoisted by his own petard.
    of course, he'll dig up some ancient relics which chronicle the glories of a fallen empire i.e. land registry figures for last month (which is actually sales agreed in april)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Going very badly. In 2012 when all of us silver bugs were screaming buy silver

Fixed that for you.
  • The-Joker
    Options
    Wow some very angry folks on here :)
  • The-Joker
    Options
    The facts are that all of silver bugs were screaming buy silver in 2007 when it was £5 per ounce, and moneysavingexpert was trying to censor us.

Then in 2011 it shot up just as smegold predicted it would and they were selling at $50oz, this is historical fact.

I wish I sold a little but smeagold always said the long term trend is up, buy in the dips even if you dont manage to sell the peaks.

I am not wealthy like the others on here like smeagold. I am still young and will continue stacking silver while it is still so cheap.

My goal is 500 oz of silver bullion over the next decade when smeagolds prediction is the ratio correcting back from the 40,000:1 in 2007 back to what it was in 1980 around 500 ounces of silver valued the same as an average UK house.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    The facts are that all of silver bugs were screaming buy silver in 2007 when it was £5 per ounce, and moneysavingexpert was trying to censor us.

Then in 2011 it shot up just as smegold predicted it would and they were selling at $50oz, this is historical fact.

I wish I sold a little but smeagold always said the long term trend is up, buy in the dips even if you dont manage to sell the peaks.

I am not wealthy like the others on here like smeagold. I am still young and will continue stacking silver while it is still so cheap.

My goal is 500 oz of silver bullion over the next decade when smeagolds prediction is the ratio correcting back from the 40,000:1 in 2007 back to what it was in 1980 around 500 ounces of silver valued the same as an average UK house.

As I recall we were all going to be able to buy houses with a silver teaspoon and 10 silver sixpences by now. Yet here you are saying it's going to be another 10 years until guru smeagold allows you to buy a house. And let's face it - you'll never have 500oz of silver - ever.

2007 to 2024 = 17 years. You can pay off a mortgage in that time and achieve the same thing.
  • robmatic
    robmatic Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options

What's the average price of the silver that you actually bought? Not the hypothetical 2007 silver that you would need a time travel device to purchase.
  • robmatic
    robmatic Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options

You were mostly screaming 'buy silver' in 2011, just before it dropped like a stone, never to recover.
  • AndyGuil
    AndyGuil Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a lot of talk of scrapping stamp duty on £500k properties and below in the news today.
  • In_For_A_Penny_2
    Options
    AndyGuil wrote: »
    There is a lot of talk of scrapping stamp duty on £500k properties and below in the news today.

Latest attempt to shore up house prices & vote winning manoeuvre?

Would be a widely popular move I would imagine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport