Snaggles's Debt Diary - Car Loan Challenge

Options

Comments

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    He's not in a union unfortunately, but one of his colleagues can attend the meeting with him.

Gardening leave would be an option - if they agreed to that, Stu would just drop the grievance. At least then he could be applying for other jobs for when it finished. At the moment, he can go to interviews but can't give them a date when he can start, so he's no chance.

It's making my head hurt, all of this - all he wants is to work and not be bullied!
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Snaggles,

Check your house insurance, you may have Family Legal Protection included in your policy

I had major problems with an employer last year, and used solicitors through my house insurance for all my legal advice, solicitors letters etc.

This time last year, I had to decide whether to return to a job where my bully of a boss had treated me appallingly, or resign.

We held a family meeting, and my kids ended up making the decision for me. They wanted me to be happy, even if it meant less money for treats etc and begged me not to go back. My husband also asked me not to go back.

Even at their age, they could tell how stressed I had been in the job, and how much nicer I had become in the 4 months I was off. Decision made, I resigned.

A year on, I have a fantastic new job, with no stress, and I'm going to college part time (yes, at my age !!!!). It is less money than before but I get to spend loads more time with my kids.
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • TillyTrippit
    TillyTrippit Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Snaggles,
    I cannot begin to tell you how much I understand what you and Stu are going through at the moment - just like in our house in February.

You have been given fabulous advice re negotiating gardening leave or the grievance procedure. Above all, what is important is his health. If he can't even talk about the place, then he needs to have some time to get his head around what has happened; if that means sick leave, then so be it. Men are lethal at bottling it all up until they're ill, and he needs to accept what has happened and understand that it is not his fault.

As the depot is closing this month, it wouldn't be for long anyway - a really bad dose of the flu could cost that amount of time. Another employer is not allowed to discriminate against him for ill health anyway. MR. T has been off since February.

The grievance procedure can take place as the firm is not closing. I would ask for another Occ Health appt. they're there for the employee and yours doesn't sound too clever. Did he see the report that was being sent? He can by law. Have a look at the Andrea Adams website and I resign.com - parts of which are hilarious - the resignation letters section kept me going through the darkest hours, but there is a forum which can offer brilliant advice - much of it from people in employment law.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I know just what you're going through - at least I wasn't supporting mine and dealing with a new baby at the same time! - make sure you are ok in all of this !!!

Lots of love and hugs,
    Tilly
    xxx

PS Seriously positive vibes about his new job search.
    Thanks to this fantastic site and it's amazing people, we have paid over £63, 000 off - just over half way!!!
    :T THANK YOU:T
  • Snaggles
    Options
    I will do, thanks Spud - I think we do have some sort of legal cover, but I never knew what it was for.

The problem is that if he resigns, they could still make him work (or stay off sick for) his months notice, and he would have to give up his redundancy money, so he still wouldn't be able to start a new job until the beginning of September, and he would have nothing to show for the 8 years he's been there.

I'm sure this will all work itself out, and I'm sure in a couple of months we will wonder what we were so worried about, but at the moment it just feels horrible.
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    snaggles cant help hunni, but just want to say i am thinking of you and stu icon_smile.gif
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Hiya - the computer has eaten TWO of my posts now :mad:, but basically I was thanking Tilly for the website - I've downloaded the factsheet and there's loads of useful info on there, thanks!

And there has been some progress with the grievance - the 'big boss' has held meetings with Stu's boss and some of the witnesses today, and has promised to get back to Stu asap. In the meantime, Stu has had an interview today, which has gone quite well, so I'm really hoping this all sorts itself out soon.
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Sorry to ramble on so long, but I know just what you're going through - at least I wasn't supporting mine and dealing with a new baby at the same time! - make sure you are ok in all of this !!!
    I really appreciate that, thanks xxx
  • Penny2myName
    Penny2myName Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know i am not on much lately, but truely hoping things get sorted positively for you both and the wee one.
    19th March 2007 LBM£5,969.63 1st January 2018 £5960.18, 1st January 2019 £11,032.0018th August 2023 £12,435.00, Student Loan £22244.00 From 2009-12Challenges: To learn to stop spending..
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Oooh, I've got a bit of dilemma - a friend of mine has invited me for a night out. She's booked a limousine (which she is insisting on paying for, to thank the people who have stood by her through a recent crisis.....her husband left her for another woman while she was heavily pregnant). It will be great fun, but with drinks and entry to a club, plus a taxi home (the limousine is only for an hour), and a new outfit (I would need a new top at least, as I have nothing at all that fits and is suitable), it will cost a fortune.

I really really want to go, but at the same time, we can't really afford it, and if I did spend the money, I would feel bad about not putting it towards the car loan (and also guilty about letting her down).

And what do I wear????
  • Snaggles
    Options
    You know a few weeks ago when I was saying should I spend my bonus money on clothes.....well, I did....school clothes for Ryan.... :rolleyes:

I KNEW I should have treated myself!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills