Snaggles's Debt Diary - Car Loan Challenge

Options

Comments

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tilly - he's actually had a letter today asking him to ring and arrange an interview for a job that would be a change of career, and he's also got a possibility of another job in the same line of work that he's in now. Not sure if anything will come of either of them, but it's good to know there is work out there at least.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Tilly, love your sig too!!

Snaggs, hope Stu gets on well at his interviews:D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Arrggghhh, Stu had an appointment with an occupational health advisor today, who told him to:

a) Go back to work

or

b) Stay off work

Rather vague??????

They also said he should drop his grievance as nothing will come of it because the company is shutting (the company isn't shutting, just relocating - which Stu pointed out to him).

Stu is in a complete state and doesn't know what to do for the best. He's talking about trying to go back to work, but he can't even say it without his voice cracking, so how on earth he thinks he's going to cope with that, I don't know.:confused:
  • Snaggles
    Options
    Ahhhh....the classic double post....

Obviously a sign of either stress or impatience!
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aww snaggles, hugs coming your way.

I hope that he is able to sort things through very quickly and decide on what is best for him. He certainly shouldn't be pushed by them into making the wrong decision.

Hopefully he will have a new job pretty soon and can put all this behind him.

**whispers** hows the shed coming along?
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    aww snaggs thats not too much help is it :confused: i hope stu can sort soemthing out, and maybe make a step in the right direction. But he mustnt feel presurised into something he doesnt want to do, sometimes the doctors think they know whats best but in all honestly they dont... just be there for him, i am sure he will pull through. I hope a great job come along soon and he can get out of that god awfull job... they are acting very childish to him, shame on the managers involved!
  • Snaggles
    Options
    The confusing thing is, they will still have to pay him his redundancy anyway - all he is really asking for is to be allowed to leave now, rather that sit at home 'on the sick' - he could cope with working, just not working THERE. So I can't see any reason not to try and get them to let him leave now.

Maybe I'm missing something? Is it really more acceptable to let yourself be bullied and sit at home on the sick, than it is to stand up for yourself in a professional manner, and get back to work as quickly as possible???

*whispers back* Oh, and the shed is coming along nicely, thanks!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Snag - will stu's employers consider giving him early redundancy? It seems a shame that he will lose out on any redundancy payout if he accepts an alternative job offer now. :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Snaggles
    Options
    That's what he's asked for in his grievance letter Rog - that they let him go now, but still pay him his redundancy. There could be as little as a month to go until the depot shuts anyway, but he's not the sort of person that can sit at home doing nothing for a month, and he's also worried about how a month off sick would look to any prospective employers.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a difficult one snaggles, I was in the same position with even the union saying I should go off sick in the last couple of weeks I was there due to the treatment I'd had.

Would he be able to negotiate gardening leave? He would still be employed but not classed as sick. It would mean though he wouldn't be able to work anywhere else during that period.

The company moving location shouldn't affect a grievance. Who said not to bother? If an official letter has been lodged with the person who is next up from Stu's manager, the next stage will be for a stage 1 grievance hearing.

Does he have union representation? He will need it really, or someone there at least so his company can't say 'we didn't say that'.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family