Petition

Options

Comments

• Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2014 at 11:18AM
    Options
    I do not believe that BB in every area of a care home (you'd have to include toilets, baths, as well as bedrooms) is the answer. It would not only survey those needing help but also those residents who are able to cope themselves.

CCTV has its uses but not 24/7 for everyone.

Perhaps this issue could be that CCTV is turned off in a room if a patient specifically requests it, and that someone outside of the Care Home assesses that they were under no pressure from the home to do so.

Re the toilet area, it doesn't have to actually show someone ON the loo, or in a shower. It could have sound on but directed into the area but not specifically at those actual points.
  • pineapple123
    pineapple123 Posts: 717 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 July 2014 at 11:28AM
    Options
    moremore wrote: »
    Beatings, mocking,slapping ,manhandling and god knows what else they are doing in privacy, no dignity in that treatment. Not all carers are cruel but it is amazing how many are.
    Also managers would be taken to task for not been proactive and letting it happen in homes they manager. Vulnerable people feel pain and cruel beatings should not be happening and must stop. The only way that is going to happen is for CCTV in residents rooms.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...ial-homes.html
    Sorry to be blunt but do you a have experience of working within the care sector. 'Its amazing' how many care staff are not cruel but kind with empathy.
    I would most certainly welcome CCTV if I didnt think it infridged peoples right to privacy, dignity and respect when alot of this has been taken from them already.
    Also would CCTV be just within a care establishment what about individuals own home with carers or relatives being abusive surely the same should apply within private houses.

I agree even one victim of abuse is one too many but CCTV is not the answer.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If CCTV isn't the answer to catching abusing care home staff in the act, what is the answer?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    If CCTV isn't the answer to catching abusing care home staff in the act, what is the answer?

Better not to recruit staff that would do this rather than catch them in the act.
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Abuse of those in care has been exposed by concerned relatives putting cameras in place. Without those no-one might have found out what was going on. Cameras are a must in my view.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Better not to recruit staff that would do this rather than catch them in the act.
    Fair enough, how could that be achieved?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Fair enough, how could that be achieved?

They could be asked at the interview "will you mistreat our residents?", and if they say "yes" - don't give them the job.

Sorry - couldn't resist!
  • moremore
    moremore Posts: 518 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2014 at 9:32PM
    Options
    I do not believe that BB in every area of a care home (you'd have to include toilets, baths, as well as bedrooms) is the answer. It would not only survey those needing help but also those residents who are able to cope themselves.

CCTV has its uses but not 24/7 for everyone.

People that are able-bodies will have a choice and will not need any help with bath, toilet, also will be able to report abuse concerns. People that are not able to do this will benefit from CCTV and will keep them free of abuse.
    All abuse so far has been taken by CCTV, nobody would have known abuse was happening and would still be going on if it was not recorded on CCTV. :mad::mad:
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    moremore wrote: »
    People that are able-bodies will have a choice and will not need any help with bath, toilet, also will be able to report abuse concerns. People that are not able to do this will benefit from CCTV and will keep them free of abuse.
    All abuse so far has been taken by CCTV, nobody would have known abuse was happening and would still be going on if it was not recorded on CCTV. :mad::mad:

But the CCTV didn't actualy stop it happening, sometimes for quite a while.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    moremore, I'm sure your intentions are good but it comes across that you have no idea about the social care system. The great majority of carers are not abusive, and will report anyone they suspect of wrongdoing. When abuse does occur it is more likely to be reported by colleagues than picked up by CCTV. You say CCTV should only be used where people are not able bodied, what about those with learning difficulties, should they be ignored? What about those people who receive care in their own homes?

I could go on but there is point as your suggestion is completely unworkable. That is probably why the petition has received so few signatures in the two years it has been active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure