We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: We’ll keep using fake debt firm to target customers, Npower says

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    minislim wrote: »
    thats Npower off my list of potential new business off me in the future.

i'm never in debt anyway. but the way some companies try bully boy tactics like this to people (some will be vulnerable) is disgusting.

Surely it is more 'disgusting' that paying Utility bills is low down on the priority list for many people.

The cost of bad debts, court orders for the installation of pre-pay meter is that other customers(some will be vulnerable!!) pay higher charges.

In the USA if you don't pay your electricity bill, you are disconnected - hence few default.

I read that Sky in the UK have very little problem with bad debts as they also quickly disconnect.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish Power are exactly the same. They have their own "debt collection" agency in-house. They're called Insight Collections. Call the number and you get through to a lovely rep at the Scottish Power call centre.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Surely it is more 'disgusting' that paying Utility bills is low down on the priority list for many people.

The cost of bad debts, court orders for the installation of pre-pay meter is that other customers(some will be vulnerable!!) pay higher charges.

In the USA if you don't pay your electricity bill, you are disconnected - hence few default.

I read that Sky in the UK have very little problem with bad debts as they also quickly disconnect.

i agree that some people do get their priorities wrong and avoid paying for such things.

but npower like a few other energy companies has a reputation for getting their bills wrong. alot of the time!
    just look at comments on here in the past of large demands for incorrect bills.

these will be the same debtors. firstly whacked with a hefty bill and then the threat of legal action. especially when its npowers fault.

not nice.
  • StacFace
    StacFace Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2014 at 5:09PM
    Options
    I don't get what the issue is here. MSE's reaction to these letters is as if they're about fictitious debts. At the end of the day you have to pay your bills, being "vulnerable" doesn't excuse you from this and it's not like they send these straight off the bat - they're used after they've tried and failed to get into contact with someone on four separate occasions. That's more than fair and I think recipients should be glad of the final chance to at least call that freephone number to discuss a payment plan rather than just being passed straight onto an actual collections firm which results in their debt escalating.

minislim wrote: »
    i agree that some people do get their priorities wrong and avoid paying for such things.

but npower like a few other energy companies has a reputation for getting their bills wrong. alot of the time!
    just look at comments on here in the past of large demands for incorrect bills.

these will be the same debtors. firstly whacked with a hefty bill and then the threat of legal action. especially when its npowers fault.

not nice.

The issue here is the incorrect bill, not the letter sent. It's like saying we should abolish prisons because some people have been wrongly found guilty.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect that many of the people who do not pay utility bills, are doing so because it would affect their booze and recreational substances budget. Same people have a huge Plasma TV, Home Cinema, etc. I actually do know a few like that.

Their reaction to those letters is probably based upon experience - "Go ahead, take me to court, make my day - and get £1 a week from me!"

As has been said, those people make everything worse for the rest of us who pay on time in full. It is just another form of stealing, akin to all the shoplifting that increases prices for everyone else. I would have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone jailed or made homeless by such thievery.

I have been broke, lost my job and house through disability. I contacted all utilities, Council and mortgage provider to sort out a payment plan. I sold everything possible to keep my family fed and housed. These people who refuse to pay, do not give a damn, they are parasites.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    What is the greater evil - for want of a better word - in society; people who don't pay their bills on time, or companies like NPower?

I strongly suggest the latter. People who don't pay up perhaps put the price up for the rest of us (actually they probably don't to any great extent) but that's about it. Now I'm not condoning what they do, but they don't cause any grief or hardship to anyone else. NPower, on the other hand, are in a different league. Through their mistakes, lack of customer focus, poor management and general badness, they have the power to cause anguish, distress and hardship to people who have done no wrong. And they are currently doing this - big time. Npower are the real menace here.

It's about time they lost their licence.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    puk999 wrote: »
    'cause the debtors weren't coughing up from the previous npower bills/letters so yet another one headed npower probably wouldn't make a difference! It's a cheap way to make the recipient think things are getting a tad more serious.

Ah, so they're masquerading as debt collectors to get the money in. That's quite like Wonga then. Okay, so they're not claiming to be solicitors, but they are deliberately trying to mislead people. Par for the course, I expect.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    does the cheap energy club say its moneysupermarket?

A tool from MoneySavingExpert.com. Platform partner allfiled. Technology partner MoneySupermarket

I would view this in the same way?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    Ah, so they're masquerading as debt collectors to get the money in. That's quite like Wonga then. Okay, so they're not claiming to be solicitors, but they are deliberately trying to mislead people. Par for the course, I expect.

They weren't masquerading as debt collectors. They were debt collectors, employed by npower.

Pretending to be a solicitor is a very different offence, for which there are serious criminal repercussions.
  • KierBrook
    KierBrook Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Fair play to NPower on this one in my opinion. Cough up for what you owe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure