PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Things you should not do...

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't cook your chicken or turkey with the plastic bag of giblets still in it.

Don't leave furniture polish on your dressing table and then mistake for hairspray

Don't put knives with plastic handles into your jacket spuds to speed up the cooking :eek:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i remember a family holiday in my childhood, we stayed in a very posh cottage belonging to my gran's boss. my mum took our melamine caravan plates (we used those as all the plates provided were very expensive and were worried about breakages). my Dad had gone on a walk and was expected back anytime. we went and got fish and chips expecting him to be back when we got back. unfortunatly Dad got lost and my gran put his fish and chips between 2 melamine plates to keep warm in the oven! the plates melted and combined with the fish and chips creating a right mess. it took the rest of the week for the smell of burning plastic to clear.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    when your printer has run out of ink you find a recipe on line dont be tempted to take an apple laptop (that you will never be able to afford to replace) into the kitchen to follow the recipe. whilst creaming the butter and sugar i caught the lappy with my elbow and it shattered on the tiled floor!! not only that i made up the rest of the recipe and it came out as a blackened solid mass.
    not only had i trashed my beloved lappy i wasted several items in my baking cupboard.
    i now have a stack of recipes written on the back of envelopes.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't buy the sunscreen with the "odd coloured brown label" if you're a bloke. My OH did this and, once applied, he stepped out into the sunlight... And was sparkling like Edward Cullen (the vampire from Twilight!) lol. All the way out the door all I heard was "who puts glittery s*** in sun cream?!"

He didn't have time to shower as he was off to meet a bunch of his mates to climb a cliff face - he still hasn't lived it down to this day!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • savetosave
    savetosave Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    New_start wrote: »
    Mine was putting the pot of my slow cooker in the oven with the lid on to try to speed up the heating up of the contents, but I completely forgot that lid had a plastic handle!

Omg I did exactly the same thing, I felt a right
    idiot.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    or germolene.

and don't hand cream your feet before running down carpeted stairs..

Especially if you have a moulting dog... :(
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Don't mistake the bottle of fluoride for baby drops on the bedside table table for errrr.....lubricant.

This one brought tears to my eyes... Ouwwwch! :(
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2014 at 1:30PM
    Options
    sillyvixen wrote: »
    i remember a family holiday in my childhood, we stayed in a very posh cottage belonging to my gran's boss. my mum took our melamine caravan plates (we used those as all the plates provided were very expensive and were worried about breakages). my Dad had gone on a walk and was expected back anytime. we went and got fish and chips expecting him to be back when we got back. unfortunatly Dad got lost and my gran put his fish and chips between 2 melamine plates to keep warm in the oven! the plates melted and combined with the fish and chips creating a right mess. it took the rest of the week for the smell of burning plastic to clear.

This reminded me of an incident from my childhood too...my Mum had melamine plates that she used at BBQ's to stop our everyday ones getting covered in charred pieces of meat etc. We has an electric oven with halogen hobs. I didn't realise that my Mum had not long finished cooking on the hobs and put my melamine plate down on the hobs so I could help Mum in the kitchen. When I came back to get my plate it had melted, cooled and stuck fast to the hobs!!! We never did get all the plastic off the hobs :eek:
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    atolaas wrote: »
    This reminded me of an incident from my childhood too...my Mum had melamine plates that she used at BBQ's to stop our everyday ones getting covered in charred pieces of meat etc. We has an electric oven with halogen hobs. I didn't realise that my Mum had not long finished cooking on the hobs and put my melamine plate down on the hobs so I could help Mum in the kitchen. When I came back to get my plate it had melted, cooled and stuck fast to the hobs!!! We never did get all the plastic off the hobs :eek:

I've done that one. Also set fire to a tea-cosy when I put it on top the grill unit... :o Thankfully learned from experience ;)
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From OH - don't put after-sun on in the dark (to avoid turning on the light in the en-suite and waking me up). The next morning he realised it was, in fact, my self-tan...

From me - don't leave the bottle of home-made sloe gin in the bottle with the dodgy lid, given as a Christmas present, in the living room where the kids can knock it over and it can slowly spill out onto the carpet during the entire Christmas period before anyone gets round to tidying up. We never did manage to get rid of the sticky patch.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure