British Passport Services scam

Options

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fermi wrote: »

No, what is odd in your link is:-

“With our holiday on May 22, I went on the official government website and typed in ‘get a passport within five days’ and a site called Passport Services came up,” said Melissa.

I have never seen an official government website refer you to an unofficial pay more site?

Have you Fermi? Can you show us the link from the official government website to Passport Services?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    No, what is odd in your link is:-

“With our holiday on May 22, I went on the official government website and typed in ‘get a passport within five days’ and a site called Passport Services came up,” said Melissa.

I have never seen an official government website refer you to an unofficial pay more site?

Have you Fermi? Can you show us the link from the official government website to Passport Services?

I made the same point on this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70684907#post70684907
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2016 at 8:56AM
    Options
    What probably happened was that said person was on the HMPO website, then typed "get a passport within five days" in the address bar of the browser so a normal Google/Bing/Yahoo (delete as applicable) web search was done.

Those Google engineers must have been asleep. ;)
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, what happened was Fermi pursuing her own agenda without actually reading the detail.

Fermi posted the link as it was relevant. It doesn't follow that he's verified or agrees with every detail.

British Passport Services are a menace to society. They trap, bully and intimidate their 'customers'.

Despite having an ASA 'copycat' adjudication against their website, losing every contested court claim they've issued and the owner being charged various counts of unfair trading and fraud and having his assets seized by Trading Standards the company is still trading and entrapping consumers, as the article in the link illustrates.

If Fermi does have an 'agenda' of alerting consumers of the ongoing threat then it's entirely justified in my view.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Fermi posted the link as it was relevant. It doesn't follow that he's verified or agrees with every detail.

British Passport Services are a menace to society. They trap, bully and intimidate their 'customers'.

Despite having an ASA 'copycat' adjudication against their website, losing every contested court claim they've issued and the owner being charged various counts of unfair trading and fraud and having his assets seized by Trading Standards the company is still trading and entrapping consumers, as the article in the link illustrates.

If Fermi does have an 'agenda' of alerting consumers of the ongoing threat then it's entirely justified in my view.
    I thought Google technicians were working long hours to stop these sorts of websites.
  • BrentMeister
    BrentMeister Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Seems they're still at it. Where are these Google engineers that are working 24.7?

sorn.png
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is also a possibility that the persons browser has been hijacked by some malware so the search traffic never hit google. :D

bod1467 wrote: »
    What probably happened was that said person was on the HMPO website, then typed "get a passport within five days" in the address bar of the browser so a normal Google/Bing/Yahoo (delete as applicable) web search was done.

Those Google engineers must have been asleep. ;)
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Possible, but highly unlikely. I'd wager that my suggestion is far more likely.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fermi wrote: »

Hello Fermi,
    Hows the copycat hearing/prosecution scene going on...guess it has been very quiet for the trade I suppose ?...time to innovate something else :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback