Help....headlice.

Comments

• mcja
    mcja Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    themull1 wrote: »
    Let us know how you got on.!

Well, killed all the little barstewards that were alive in her hair, and when I wet combed through again yesterday there were none in there :beer:

I will continue to comb every other day, and will repeat the death-by-chemicals on Friday which will be 5 days after the first treatment. I have picked up the products suggested and am waiting for the nurse to call me back about getting treatment on prescription.

Yay!
    “Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff.”
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Here in Manchester we have a system "care at the chemist" You need to take the patient with you and they'll give you the necessary medicine for a range of complaints and not just children.Sometimes far easier than asking for,collecting and waiting for a prescription from the doctor.I'd recommend the comb (you've done) Hedrin on the right days (you've done) and conditioner on the other days.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • mcja
    Thankyou. Thanks to themull, I was able to get Hedrin on prescription. Happy days!
    “Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff.”
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Thats brilliant, have you seen the price of it - im sure the larger bottle was about £15.00 to buy.!! Glad you got it on prescription.
  • mcja
    I was chuffed!! its so expensive to buy! nurse was so helpful as well.
  • begley
    begley Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kiddo had them for YEARS! We would get her clear, and 2 days later they'd be back. We used all meaner of lotions and potions, one was so potent she insisted on swimming goggles. Nothing really worked, she always caught them within a day or 2. In the end we combed her every day. That way, if any snuck on they'd be gone by bedtime, and if any hatched we'd be rid of the babies before they could spawn more!! Mrs B used her hair straighteners too, that killed the eggs off. She always had her hair tied up for school, and a squirt of hair spray as a shield!! Bl00dy things......this thread has made me itch!
  • Ugghh! I feel for you. My daughter went through a bad stage at primary school. I used to use a bristle brush when she got home from school - apparently it breaks the legs of any adults that they pick up during the day and they cannot climb down to the base of the hair to lay the eggs. (wide toothed combs and brushes are no good) We then did a nightly hair wash in the bath with lashings of conditioner and a nit comb followed by another nit combing with a leave in conditioner before bed. Oh - and another nit comb with leave in conditioner in the morning.

I used to get her free of nits over holidays - and then have LARGE adults back again on the first day of school. :mad: However, one side effect was that her hair was beautiful - soft, sleek and glossy. I was very tempted to do exactly the same to my own hair.

Typically, my two boys never got them once!
    Stash Busting Challenge waiting for inspiration:D :j
  • mcja
    Thankyou both. We seem to be on top of it now, although I must look like I have them (I definitely haven't, I've checked)....My head is reacting to tea tree shampoo and I am itching like a good 'un.
    DD has stopped itching now, has finally let me cut her fringe and she is feeling so much better than she was.
  • My three get them frequently. We go through their hair every 3 days, conditioner, nitty gritty (that doesn't actually pull the eggs out grrr), shower on full power, use separate towels, towels go in the boil as soon theyre dry.

as soon as we get as much out and they had their shower, we put in a repellant in the morning before school.
    The repellant works to an extent, as we have seen less of them in their hair upon checking heads, but the little blighters are hardened to most things on the market these days.

I tried vodka it worked well to stop them running away in the head when getting them out, was easy scoopings, but expensive to repeatedly do.

we go through about 6 bottles of conditioner per week (£42.00 a month), and 3 nitty gritty combs per month (£30.00). weve gone from being furious with the school to just dealing with it now and tell the headteacher everyweek theres a lice problem in the school which they do nothing about no letter nothing. we were spending out on the headrin/lyclear stuff everyweek and forcing us to spend more than we could afford as you get a pathetic lice combe and still need to comb it before you do their hair with the spray anyway.
  • outtawork
    outtawork Posts: 210 Forumite
    my daughter had a skin problem, so we couldn't use chemicals, so l washed her hair in a shampoo with teetree, then used quassia chips to condition with, but no rinsing off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure