🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

London Baby!!!

Options

Comments

• Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, I am in my mid twenties from Glasgow and have been living in London for a couple of years. I love it but London will always come second to Glasgow for me! I have always intended to move home eventually and love coming back to visit.

I think it might just be a case of each to their own here!

Comparing city life with city life isn't quite the same though.

Glasgow's a thriving city, the second in its country, good nightlife, job prospects, solid transport system, creativity and culture abound.

Somehow Wolves snuck under someone's radar and was declared a city when it barely deserves the title of town.

Armpit more like.

Comparing any big city to somewhere quiet, rural or just dead is no real comparison at all.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • redsunglasses
    Options
    Comparing city life with city life isn't quite the same though.

Glasgow's a thriving city, the second in its country, good nightlife, job prospects, solid transport system, creativity and culture abound.

Somehow Wolves snuck under someone's radar and was declared a city when it barely deserves the title of town.

Armpit more like.

Comparing any big city to somewhere quiet, rural or just dead is no real comparison at all.

I totally agree Gingernutty, but the I took from the OP that the OP & mate are from Glasgow, too?

I am a total city girl at heart so I'd probably be worse if I moved to a rural area, though I love the idea of a farm. But where am I meant to get milk at 1am if I need it? Don't say a cow in the neighbouring field...
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree Gingernutty, but the I took from the OP that the OP & mate are from Glasgow, too?

I am a total city girl at heart so I'd probably be worse if I moved to a rural area, though I love the idea of a farm. But where am I meant to get milk at 1am if I need it? Don't say a cow in the neighbouring field...

:rotfl:

I have to say though; I am not sure why anyone would want milk at 1am :p
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • Jitterbug123
    Jitterbug123 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I moved from London to Manchester for 7 years, first for university, and then I wanted to stay there.

I eventually moved back to London because I missed my family, and having grown up there Manchester did start to feel claustrophobic. HOWEVER, I also resent people who refuse to go to the cheap pub, and drink certain lager or will only go to a celebrity endorsed restaurant.

London isn't about that. As a teenager I had to look for the cheapest place to go, and just because I'm grown up now it doesn't mean I'm going to turn into a pretentious yuppy, still wanna save my money!
  • redsunglasses
    Options
    Lily-Rose wrote: »

I might urgently need a cup of tea :rotfl:

I like knowing I can get these things if I need them, haha.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Lily-Rose wrote: »

I might urgently need a cup of tea :rotfl:

I like knowing I can get these things if I need them, haha.

As a shift worker, even on my days off, I'm often awake at 1am wondering what to do with myself.

You may come in from a night/day out, a job or a traumatic trip from hospital and need a warm milky drink/cuppa/bowl of cornflakes......and no milk.

I love the convenience of a city - there's always somewhere open even on Sunday.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Jitterbug123
    Jitterbug123 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options

You may come in from a night/day out, a job or a traumatic trip from hospital and need a warm milky drink/cuppa/bowl of cornflakes......and no milk.

I love the convenience of a city - there's always somewhere open even on Sunday.

It is true... Sometimes I realise I forgot to get milk on the way home, and there's a shop downstairs I can go to!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    and spending his ginger bottles on sweets at the local shop!!!

Didn't everybody use to do that, regardless of where they lived?

We used to climb over the back fence of the local football ground at half time, collect up all the fizzy pop bottles and take them back to the kiosk, to get the money back.

This was in Essex, late 1960's to early 1970's
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not going to stay where I live now but we have a decent train service between towns and cities (many of them only hourly between midnight and about 5am) although a lot of local buses stop shortly after 11pm and do not start again until about 6am.

That is about on par with where my mother lived near London. Hell of a lot better than when I was a student working in London and had to walk to the station because the first bus ran at 7.10am and you could not get into many jobs in central London on time if you used it. People were shocked when I moved here but it is not an overnight journey as some thought.

We have good theatres in the city, decent art galleries and classical, opera, ballet and contemporary dance and I can afford them and could afford the mortgage.

Its not the height of sophisication but there are only so many events I can go to really.

And I can get out into the sticks (beyond mobile phone range) for nothing because it is covered by my annual pass.

I could afford to buy something smallish in London but what I remember is getting home and stripping off to wash away the grime from the commute, stuffed into someone else's arm pits on the Tube on the journey and trying to wedge a paper between myself and the trouser snake.

Although the salary in London might be higher, the cost of living just does not match up IMO.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hiya, I am in my mid twenties from Glasgow and have been living in London for a couple of years. I love it but London will always come second to Glasgow for me! I have always intended to move home eventually and love coming back to visit.

I think it might just be a case of each to their own here!

We lived in a most beautiful part of Spain for eight years, in a white house with exposed beams in a village up a mountain, with terrific 360-degree views and friendly Spanish neighbours (who I still miss).

However, it was to me never home. It was somewhere I was living at the time. Home was the Midlands city I'd lived in until then. We both felt this way and that's why we always knew it was not a permanent move.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport