🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

London Baby!!!

Options

Comments

• Anatidaephobia
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    tbh - isn't that type of person the one who thought they were too 'good' for their hometown even before they left?

True, I suppose, my hometown seems full of people who hate it (and, mostly, for no reason). They either end up moving away and becoming one of the people who look down on their friends for not leaving - or they stay forever and constantly moan about how awful it is. A lot of people don't appreciate where they live and - in the case of the specific people I know - there isn't even a reason for it. Whenever things are improved, they will always find fault simply because they've decided in their head that this town is rubbish and nothing will change that.
  • Skinto_7
    Skinto_7 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    cazziebo wrote: »

Originally Posted by Skinto_7viewpost.gif
    Hi Guys,

spending his ginger bottles on sweets at the local shop!!![/FONT][/SIZE]

You might have to explain this quote for the non weegies! :rotfl::rotfl:

ahhh the old glass cheque, the only currency a pre teen glasgow kid ever needed!!!!:rotfl:
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 June 2014 at 9:46AM
    Options
    When I lived in Spain, lots of the expats there referred to the UK as 'The YUK' and swore they would never return to such a $3itH0le.

Now they have no money left and find that Spain has no Benefits to speak of, they all want to return to The YUK which in spit of being such a $3itH0le, still has an improving economy and generous Benefits, unlike Spain.

I hated them speaking like that, whilst I lived in Spain for eight years it did not stop me appreciating my own country and I hated it being slagged off.

So it isn't just people who move to London who do it.

(I hasten to add that I have not claimed any Benefits in the UK since I returned! Other than my State Pension which I also got while I was in Spain so it made no difference).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2014 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Skinto_7 wrote: »
    For the record I told my mate to stop being such a muppet and to not forget he is still the same wee boy who used to run about covered in mud playing football with the rest of us and spending his ginger bottles on sweets at the local shop!!!
    cazziebo wrote: »
    You might have to explain this quote for the non weegies! :rotfl::rotfl:

I moved around a lot as a child so don't have a particular affinity with any area. However, went out with some schoolmates on Saturday night (having not seen two of them for 40 years) and it was lovely. I knew a few people in the pub, and people came to chat and catch up. One chap saw on Facebook we were in the local so he stopped by. Wonderful (although not sure I'd like to do it every Saturday night!)

I think sometimes we over rate travel and under rate community.

Scotland still serves some fizzy pop in glass bottles and there is a returns policy. You get a few pence per bottle, which can be saved up and used to buy treats - like sweeties.

Hence the sight of cheeky little urchins stopping you in the street and ask if you're done with that bottle.

I'm a Londoner born and bred and have moved to Wolves.

I was travelling through London over the weekend and was depressed to realise that there was more 'stuff' advertised on one wall of one platform of one Tube station than there was happening in my now home city.

Art exhibitions, plays, films, musicals, ideas for days out, upcoming events - I really wanted to come 'home'.

In my adopted city, there's not much to do during the days and limited stuff to do at night. Places are closing down at a frightening rate.

Attending any 'do' or event somewhere in the West Midlands requires planning, organisation, maybe a night at a hotel and calculations about transport and when to call a cab.

The last through trams finish shortly after 23:30. After that you get trapped in Wednesbury with no way home.

Buses after 22:00? Forget it!

Trains become very infrequent after 20:00

Whereas in London? There's the Tube, reliable night buses, taxis and cabs.

People move too slowly here in Wolves, they can't even walk a straight line down a pavement. They stop for no reason. The transport is cr*p, no one moves with any purpose and it's chav central.

Ugh.

I now can't afford to buy some place decent in London and still have enough money to do all the stuff I saw advertised.

I'd love to go back but I can't. I can only work on making a decent life for myself here, but now and again I do hanker after a life in the 'Smoke'.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I find it exceptionally painful visiting my old town in the north west after having spent 9 years living in the SE/London.

It's like everything happens in slow motion. My parents don't like my 'Everything in the North is !!!!' diatribe, but hey - there's a good reason all the young-bright-things move down South.

"Oh we've got scenery here" - yes, you've also got grey skies for 80% of the year
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    I love my hometown, I'd move back in a flash if I could. Never experienced the sort of behaviour the OP describes either, the only smugness I've encountered with people who live in/moved to London/nearby is that London gets all the gigs!
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find it exceptionally painful visiting my old town in the north west after having spent 9 years living in the SE/London.

It's like everything happens in slow motion. My parents don't like my 'Everything in the North is !!!!' diatribe, but hey - there's a good reason all the young-bright-things move down South.

"Oh we've got scenery here" - yes, you've also got grey skies for 80% of the year

Mate. I hear you.

Have you had the reverse rant? The "I went to London, didn't like it and came home again."

They didn't like the 'speed', the people, the buildings, the Underground, the driving, the 'busyness' or the weather.

"Oh it's alright for a day trip, but I wouldn't want to live there".

When you go home, just make polite noises and stop starting every sentence with "In London...."
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 27 June 2014 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Mate. I hear you.

Have you had the reverse rant? The "I went to London, didn't like it and came home again."

They didn't like the 'speed', the people, the buildings, the Underground, the driving, the 'busyness' or the weather.

"Oh it's alright for a day trip, but I wouldn't want to live there".

When you go home, just make polite noises and stop starting every sentence with "In London...."
    Well my mum is a Londoner who moved up north, and my dad has spent enough time in London to not complain any more. I do often think how I could move back there, buy a 4 bed detached and live like a king. Sadly, it would be king in a very slow and boring kingdom. My wife is from Bushey and would never consider moving t'up north.

Ironically, my firm's office is in Bolton and I wouldn't even suffer a paycut if I decided to move near there. It's grim around there. Also.. it's odd going somewhere so white.

God, I've become the people I use to hate 20 years ago
  • redsunglasses
    Options
    Hiya, I am in my mid twenties from Glasgow and have been living in London for a couple of years. I love it but London will always come second to Glasgow for me! I have always intended to move home eventually and love coming back to visit.

I think it might just be a case of each to their own here!
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Options
    Like a few people have mentioned, I also know a few people who have moved away and think that where they are now is so superior. My daughter (19) is a bit like this at the mo, but we're putting it down to her age and generation.

We live a bit 'oop north,' (about 100 miles north of That London,) and on the fringes of a smallish town, and our daughter hates it with a flaming passion now. She said at the age of 16 - when we lived in the main town - that she hates this sh1tty area, and that she can't wait to move away to uni. (her uni is down south)

She says she is never coming back to this dive/hellhole/sh*t-tip etc etc. It wasn't even a passing whim, she said it for 2 years (from summer 2011 to summer 2013,) that she detests our area because it's full of chavs and losers and there is nothing for her here. It's wasn't that bad actually LOL; it was just her perception of it.

So when she moved down south to uni (September 2013,) we took the opportunity to move out of the big town centre, and move on the very fringes - almost into the country. (There are just fields and woodlands the side of us: it's quite beautiful.) And now when she comes home, she grumbles about how 'out in the sticks' we are, and how she is sick of having to get lifts to see her old mates in the town (9-10 miles away from us now.) There is a bus service, but it's rather lame, and the last one back from town to where we live is 5.30pm!

In addition, she thinks that the people who always lived in this town and have never moved are 'lame' and 'sad' and 'losers.' Honestly, she is a proper hipster: vegan, animal rights, environmental activist, likes arty farty stuff, film snob, food snob, LOL. I will be so glad when she grows out of it! She has only been like this since she got in with a bunch of snobby kids at college.

The annoying thing is that she moans about us living out here where we do, as it's inconvenient for her. And yet she is at uni anyway most of the time, and has made it fundamentally clear that she hates it up here, and has no intention of living up here when she leaves uni.

That is one of the main reasons why we moved last year, out to a semi-rural area 5 miles from the closest shop, because she hit 18, and was leaving for uni and 'never coming back' anyway. I know it's a nuisance for her when she comes home, but we can't go on apologising forever-more, for moving out here. And as I said, she hates it so much anyway, and says she won't be coming back, as it's a 'dump' up here.

Like I said, I really hope she grows out of it.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family