Watch_Dogs - what's the verdict?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
38 replies 4.7K views
ITonyIITonyI Forumite
80 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
So Watch_Dogs released on Tuesday to a lot of media praise, but I've heard mixed things from players. I'm always skeptical of what game sites say when they run huge advertising campaigns, so what do the fine people of MSE think of it?

Is it worth grabbing now when deals are fairly scarce, or is it worth holding out for a deal in a couple of months time? My play calendar's a little bare at the moment...

Replies

• Gordon_HoseGordon_Hose Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Reading a lot of posts on the PlayStation forums that many think it's not really "next gen". Apparently, the graphics are poor and the graphical effects are worse than GTA4 on the PS3.

I didn't buy it personally, but I'd probably wait til it's cheaper if I were you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c
  • Andy_89Andy_89 Forumite
    245 Posts
    I played 30 mins last night, its pretty good. I think the driving physics are horrendous.

Feels like an Assassins Creed meets GTA, meets Ghost Recon.

I will update when I have played more.
  • FleagoFleago Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    I'm really enjoying it (playing on the PS4). There's plenty to do and the graphics are fine to my eyes. I'd agree with Andy_89's description of it.

If you've not got much else to play, then I'd say go for it. :)
  • Andy_89Andy_89 Forumite
    245 Posts
    Yup this is filling the gap until Minecraft and Fifa 14.

I have probably overplayed on BF4 so this is a welcome distraction.
  • RobTangRobTang Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Its rough yes, but I'm enjoying it so far. The driving isn't great but the combat and hacking elements are pretty fun.

Actually I'm finding it more fun than GTA V atm because I always kind of felt the missions on GTA was just a chore to progress the story, where as you have to think a bit more in watch_dogs and I'm enjoying doing the missions themselves.
  • NaskoZmeqNaskoZmeq Forumite
    51 Posts
    It includes some really nice features, I guess it's really worth it.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brilliant game on PS4 and One as there's no competition (and barely anything to play in general!). On 360, PS3 and PC there are dozens of similar but better games. If you've finished GTAIV, GTAV, RF:G, Sleeping Dogs, RDR, SR: The Third and IV, Just Cause 2, and B: AC and haven't played a by-the-numbers Ubisoft game in a while, then Watch_Dogs should probably be at the top of your list of games to buy.

A good MSE with a PS4 would probably still be looking for a decent price on Second Son and waiting for this to drop below 25-30.

A common reading of W_D is that it's like AC1 - you can see how it could be a great game, but it isn't. W_D2 should fix that. \o/

(Sadly, the 8/10 critic review average on Metacritic is difficult to trust, due to the number of "journalists" that were bribed with Nexus 7s by Ubisoft and then did not disclaim it. Still, as it didn't affect sales (pre-orders were HUGE anyway), we can expect this to keep happening)
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • NY1986NY1986 Forumite
    23 Posts
    I'm really disappointed with it.

It may be that I haven't played enough or I'm not grasping the controls quick enough but some of the missions don't make sense (with where you've got to go).

Something for Saturday night I think.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It looks rather nice on my brothers PC and he has a bit less horse power so it should run great for me.

I intend to play it eventually when its cheaper, got enough to keep me going for now.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • TygermothTygermoth Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Not played it myself however lost the OH to it all week. :D

So I would say its caught his interest (he has also commented that the driving sucks)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals