Why is my water bill so much (NON METERED)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
30 replies 4.2K views
redrabbit29redrabbit29 Forumite
1.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Me and GF live in 2 bedroom flat, all pretty standard.

We had high water bills initially, so got a meter. After receiving a REALLY BIG bill, and having an 8 week dispute, it turned out the meter was on a SHARED pipe!

So, now the water company have removed it, checked the property and say unfortunately, we CAN NOT have a meter anywhere. So we're stuck on assessed charges.

Our flat is bog standard yet we are paying the equivalent of around £50 a month, meaning it's £600 a year. We both work full time, no kids, and yet we are paying HUGE amounts.

I think I know the answer but...

Is there anything we can do about this? Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks,
RR
Amo L'Italia

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The important issue is where do you live and who serves the property for water and Sewerage.

Water charges vary by a huge amount across the UK. That said I cannot see any assessed charge being £600 pa for 2 people.

If you are unfortunate enough(from water charges POV) to live in South West Water's catchment area, who have the highest charges in UK, the assessed charges for two people for 2014/15 are £565.50. That is if you have to pay for Surface Water Drainage(SWD). If you can claim relief from SWD charges it will be £43 less.

If you were in Severn Trent's area you would pay a maximum of £327pa - £296 if you claim relief for SWD.

The only reason I can think of for paying £50 a month is you had built up a debit balance, and it is being paid back.

Check if you are paying for SWD, and if so, can you claim relief.
  • southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    a meter CAN be fitted where the water comes into your flat just after the stoptap, it may req some pipe alteration which is prob why they don't want to do it
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • mart.vadermart.vader Forumite
    714 Posts
    a meter CAN be fitted where the water comes into your flat just after the stoptap, it may req some pipe alteration which is prob why they don't want to do it

Not in every case - there are other factors to consider.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I lived in a studio flat with a rateable charge of £480/year seven years ago. I spoke to a neighbour who said she couldn't get a meter fitted and that I should phone for an assessed charge - hers was £300/year.

I phoned them for that and, randomly, there was a knock at the door one day and a man stood there with a meter in his hand..... disbelievingly I let him into the flat and he opened the under-the-sink cupboard and fitted the meter in-line (bit of a nuisance really as it was nearly the size of a margarine tub slap bang in the middle of the top shelf.... and he went away.

With the unexpected meter fitted my bills came in at about £150/year.
  • PaulavikiPaulaviki Forumite
    297 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Before we had a water meter fitted our bills were over £50 per month (well for 10 months of the year) for 2 people in a small 2 bedroom house. In the south east where we live we pay one company for clean water and a different company for waste water. The direct debits were about £23-27 per month to each company. So around £600 a year is roughly what we've been paying. Only had the meter fitted last month so not sure how much cheaper it's going to be yet!
  • Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the South West, which is one of the most expense water areas and only pay about £120 a year on a meter thanks to a rainwater harvesting system. We get lots and lots of rain at the moment, as you may have noticed, so I haven't had to "fall back" onto mains water for a long time. Most of my bill is standing charge, not consumption. The bathroom sink, kitchen sink and fridge's water dispensor are the only things plumbed to mains water.

• southcoastrgisouthcoastrgi Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    mart.vader wrote: »
    Not in every case - there are other factors to consider.

really like what ??
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • mart.vadermart.vader Forumite
    714 Posts
    really like what ??

Well, OP says he's living in a flat. If so, the cold water feed to bathroom and WC's may be from a common tank ( i.e. one that feeds more than one flat) in the loft space, on the roof (or elsewhere).

Water Cos will not allow metering where there is a common tank, because there is no way to work out the water consumption of each individual flat.

So, even if there is enough room to fit a meter "where the water comes into your flat just after the stoptap" ., it doesn't mean that a meter can be actually fitted

So, southcoast, you learn something new everyday !
  • redrabbit29redrabbit29 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Our internal water pipe is boxed in and so there's not enough room. Obviously we could unbox it, but it won't be an easy or quick task.

However, I'm seriously thinking of doing it or at least looking into a renovation of some sort.
    Amo L'Italia
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our internal water pipe is boxed in and so there's not enough room. Obviously we could unbox it, but it won't be an easy or quick task.

However, I'm seriously thinking of doing it or at least looking into a renovation of some sort.

Where do you live?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals