Swoggi penny auction site or scam?

Options

Comments

• Trimaran
    Options
    Yes, Swoggi is properly loathsome. I have just been through the exact same process - was attracted to their ad on a supposedly 'reputable' site - it also has The Times, The Mirror and The Independent logos on its sign up page by way of added endorsement. Of course I didn't read the T&Cs (whoever does? And this is the exact shortcoming in human behaviour that this company exploits), I put in my PayPal details, had a quick trawl around the site, went back to my email to find I'd just been debited £50. Mercifully I didn't go through the bidding process but asked for a refund and got the same '£35 refund, we keep £15' tale. In their favour they did refund the money quickly but how many £15s have they got off people??? As someone who runs a subscription website I find this behaviour disgusting, a complete scam and if it isn't illegal to do this, then it should be.
  • gerry18541
    Options
    A 100% scam
    Stay well clear
  • gerry18541
    Options
    delboy wrote: »
    Hi guys,SWOGGI biggest con merchants going.Joined about 6 months ago,deposited £50 and played £4 before I realised biggest con ever,cancelled my account immediately.SWOGGI informed me a £15 administration cancellation fee would apply,told them not happy with the fee and like my £46 deposited into my bank.Emailed SWOGGI yesterday and told them to deposit £31 into my bank account.Received email from SWOGGI who inform me they have taken another £15 cancellation fee and I'm only entitled to £16,please help me with any good advice out there......

Paypal know this is a scam and if you state that the goods bought were not what you ordered they Must give you back you payment under retail law.

Otherwise threaten to sue Paypal for being complicit with a known scam. I got all my money refunded.

Good luck
  • Michele_Boston
    Options
    I just did the same thing, gutted that I will stand to lose my money - I will email Swoggi and ask for a refund.
  • Michele_Boston
    Options
    Thank you for posting this I have notified Paypal and have not spent my '£50 Credit' I will also contact Swoggi for what good it will do...
    I can't believe how easy it was for Swoggi to take £50 from me? there was no secure checkout/payment facility.
    Michele
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for posting this I have notified Paypal and have not spent my '£50 Credit' I will also contact Swoggi for what good it will do...
    I can't believe how easy it was for Swoggi to take £50 from me? there was no secure checkout/payment facility.
    Michele

We know its a dodgy scam but did they really take £50 from your without you knowing?

No secure checkout payment facility? You used Paypal so are you saying paypal is not secure?

They didnt TAKE £50 from you, YOU gave it to them.

Do not give them money.....
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• snap2016
    Options
    BEWARE SWOGGIE IS A SCAM
    It's happened to me too. I realised that the bidding was getting nowhere so i logged out and couldn't log-in again. I suddenly was allowed to log-in, i closed my account and asked for my REFUND, Swoggie said my transaction is over 60 days and closed by Paypal so it will cost them £30 to refund my money through Paypal plus left over credits, hence they'll Refund me £15. I spoke & wrote to Paypal. Paypal's dispute was in favour of Swoggie because Paypal doesn't deal with virtual sales (My £50 is for Auction credits, virtual on-line purchase) I appealed the dispute decision. Paypal still said that, they are satisfied with Swoggie's global tracking system that an item's been delivered to my address. What delivery?? when i have won nothing from Swoggie. Paypal is definitely an accomplice to Swoggie and why is Money Saving Expert deceiving the public with their Links to Swoggie to be swindled? They're all sucked into Swoggie. Apparently not allowed to post a linkof their aadvert for Swoggie. How to use Swoggi?

If you want to enjoy the same crazy discounts, you will need only a few instructions to get started. The workings of this new type of shopping can be intimidating at first, so I will try to explain in a few steps how you can get the same savings achieved. Despite what you could think when looking at it for the first time, it is actually extremely simple:
    Step 1: Create an account on Swoggie and get your free credits. Use the following voucher code to get 50 free credits!

Code EC50 Offer will expire soon, hurryup!Code CLICK HERE Step 2: Browse the Live Auctions to find a product you would like to win, click on the auction and start bidding!
    Step 3: When you win an auction, you will be automatically redirected to the payment page where you will need to pay the closing price and confirm you delivery address.
    Conclusion

I started out this test as a sceptic, but after winning two apple products for less than 20% of their value, I can say without any doubt that this new form of online shopping is a GREAT way to save money on high tech, expensive products!
    Please note that the average bid costs 0.5 cents
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,339 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    snap2016 wrote: »
    BEWARE SWOGGIE IS A SCAM
    It's happened to me too. I realised that the bidding was getting nowhere so i logged out and couldn't log-in again. I suddenly was allowed to log-in, i closed my account and asked for my REFUND, Swoggie said my transaction is over 60 days and closed by Paypal so it will cost them £30 to refund my money through Paypal plus left over credits, hence they'll Refund me £15. I spoke & wrote to Paypal. Paypal's dispute was in favour of Swoggie because Paypal doesn't deal with virtual sales (My £50 is for Auction credits, virtual on-line purchase) I appealed the dispute decision. Paypal still said that, they are satisfied with Swoggie's global tracking system that an item's been delivered to my address. What delivery?? when i have won nothing from Swoggie. Paypal is definitely an accomplice to Swoggie and why is Money Saving Expert deceiving the public with their Links to Swoggie to be swindled? They're all sucked into Swoggie. Apparently not allowed to post a linkof their aadvert for Swoggie. How to use Swoggi?

If you want to enjoy the same crazy discounts, you will need only a few instructions to get started. The workings of this new type of shopping can be intimidating at first, so I will try to explain in a few steps how you can get the same savings achieved. Despite what you could think when looking at it for the first time, it is actually extremely simple:
    Step 1: Create an account on Swoggie and get your free credits. Use the following voucher code to get 50 free credits!

Code EC50 Offer will expire soon, hurryup!Code CLICK HERE Step 2: Browse the Live Auctions to find a product you would like to win, click on the auction and start bidding!
    Step 3: When you win an auction, you will be automatically redirected to the payment page where you will need to pay the closing price and confirm you delivery address.
    Conclusion

I started out this test as a sceptic, but after winning two apple products for less than 20% of their value, I can say without any doubt that this new form of online shopping is a GREAT way to save money on high tech, expensive products!
    Please note that the average bid costs 0.5 cents

Money saving expert do not promote Swoggi. I suspect you have gone to a look a like site, I am aware there is another site called something like moneysaving360 that has advertised it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,339 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To add to my above post I am concerned that MSE are getting the blame for promoting Swoggi when the actual site is virtually nothing like MSE

For those interested this is the site that is being suggested is MSE

http://ww5.moneyexpert360.net/an-ipad-80-off-my-experience-on-the-auction-site-swoggi/

It even appears to be a US site.

I can only urge people to do their research before signing up to anything , falling for a fake review and then a dodgy site is unfortunate.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,332 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income