PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Am I being OCD...

Options
if I don't like washing cleaning cloths in with the "main wash"?

Does 60 degrees kill all the germs I should be worried about anyway?

:think:

Comments

• PenguinOfDeath
    PenguinOfDeath Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Options
    I always wash cloths in a main wash, I don't have enough cloths to warrant doing a separate one

I suppose I could do them on a 90 degree wash with towels but that itself only happens once in a blue moon
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wash most of my clothes at forty.

I wash my cleaning clothes and down stairs hand towels and tea towels at seventy five ( or depending on what's in the cleaning wash ninety). I consider that to give the washing machine a good clean out. I have LOTS of cleaning clothes etc though. I keep them in a big bucket by the washing machine. I change utility hand towel daily and any kitchen stuff( towels/ tea clothes) every day too.

I think this works for us because we handle a lot of raw meat ( raw fed pets) and have a very dirty house, so get through lots of cleaning cloths.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My cleaning cloths go in the main wash at 60 degrees. The majority of my washing is tumble dried anyway which I am assuming would kill off any left over germs left behind by a 60 degree wash.

I don't have enough cloths to do a wash on its own either.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wash mine with the towels at 60. If you prefer you could soak them Milton or disinfectant first, but I don't think it is actually necessary.
  • Ladyluck1
    Ladyluck1 Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    I always do my hand towels, tea towels and cloths etc together on 90 :)
    Bath towels also get a 90 wash so usually once a week one then the other.
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine go in the wash with everything else at 40, I do a big hot wash with all cloths/tea towels etc every couple of months but I just don't have enough to warrant a separate load.

It's not killed us :)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I put all coloured in together which would include cleaning clothes and all whitesin together which means tea towels in with pants :D we are still here.
  • SmarterNotHarder
    Options
    Seems like I was just being silly. Thank you all!
  • ciderwithrosie_2
    ciderwithrosie_2 Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you're being silly. I do all my towels, teatowels, dusters and cloths at 90. I have at least 3-4 loads a week just of boil wash stuff
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • Alphamare
    Alphamare Posts: 701 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2014 at 8:33AM
    Options
    You cannot be OCD, you can only have OCD!
    You can BE obsessive compulsive

You do not sound like you have obsessive compulsive DISORDER at all.
    If you dont know where you are going... Any road will take you there :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport