🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

10m bi-folding or patio door?

Options
My rear extension requires either a run of 10m bifolding or patio doors. I was going to go with bi-folds for the reason that they open fully but others are saying go for patio doors because most of the time they will be closed and for that sort of width you want a clear vista / view of the lovely garden we will have.

What are people's thoughts on this, (especially those who have either and may have regretted one for the other) giving consideration to cost, security and practicality?

Thx.
Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS

Comments

• woodbutcher_2
    Options
    10m patio doors? Can't see how that would work, unless you mean a series of patio doors. That wouldn't give you an unobstructed view of the garden. Bi-folds would but at that size, i would want very good quality ones and they will not be cheap.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    10m!!!??

We had an architect in the other day who reckoned bifolds will cost about a grand a metre...

With that span I'd personally have full- or close-to-full height windows either side and smaller bifolds in the middle... will work better and quite a bit cheaper
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    Options
    Sliding doors can be at least 3.5m wide, so you could do the 10m in 3 panes, but have all 3 moving so you can have 2/3 of the 10m open at once (and at either end). Do you have any wall either side of the 10m opening? If so you could get sliding doors that go into a "pocket" in the wall (either a 3.5m pocket or smaller with smaller/more panes) and have a 10m unobstructed opening including no "stack" of panes at one or both sides that you get with bifold. Bifold can have a narrower track, but need more room to fold (particularly if you go for fewer and therefore larger panes). Whereas several sliding doors if sliding all one way will need a much wider track and you get a staggered effect when they are closed, so less of a smooth streamlined look, if that's what your after. Lots of pluses and minuses really, depends what your priorities are and what access is like, and budget of course!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you get a steel in to support that length of wall above it? That's going to be some structural engineering going on!

But, fwi, I would opt for good quality sliders. The runners won't cope with that weight of door over that distance. Unless again you have an unlimited commercial size budget.

We've put in two sets of doors a couple of times across that distance. It allows for room zoning but still looks lovely. It also solves the structural engineering issues.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ritesh
    ritesh Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We considered both and finally went with the bifold door option on a 3.6m opening for a garden office. We are very pleaseed with them as you can open up the whole structure to the garden and boy does it look good!

Security - You need to ensure you choose good quality doors and come with multi lock, but generally they are very secure.

Cost - As mentioned above you will need to consider at least £1000 per meter. We paid just over £3k for ours but this also depends on the type of fixtures as well.

Practicality - Just more glass to clean :). I would suggest bottom hung doors with a 10 meter opening.

Hope that helps.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
  • ey143
    ey143 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I meant a series of patio doors and yes approx £10k for bifolds or a little more for patio doors.

I need to consider fixed floor to ceiling windows for part of it yes but was told by my architect they are not much cheaper. Will try and include plan of ground floor tomorrow.
  • Inch_High_2
    Inch_High_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    ey143 wrote: »
    Yes, I meant a series of patio doors and yes approx £10k for bifolds or a little more for patio doors.

I need to consider fixed floor to ceiling windows for part of it yes but was told by my architect they are not much cheaper. Will try and include plan of ground floor tomorrow.

Is it a single storey extension?

How will you support the span?
  • ey143
    Options
    Single storey extension. Not sure of the technical details yet. Architect addresses that after permitted development is approved (if approved).
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    HOLY MOLY Thats one huge space, you gonna need a crane just to lift the steels in.

Bi folds all the way, sliding patios are too 90's ;)
  • ey143
    Options
    Because its not supporting an upper floor, only a flat roof, shouldnt be too bad. Might get away with 10 labourers lifting it and its a straight run through the garage to the back so hopefully no crane.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family