Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're doing so well on the finances :):):)

As far as baby reins are concerned - they used to be very common, and I think they're fine. We can't pretend its 100 years ago and babies can wander about freely (though even then I bet there were deaths from horse and carriage type accidents). But today, when life is so intense and little ones are right by that intensity, yep. Reins seem a good alternative to always holding their hand(s), they can't investigate on their own at all then. Not to be used as a disciplinary device, of course, I've seen them mis-used too :( Well done on the extra month of Amazon Prime!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I worry that I am too focused on them KC, so many little dopamine hits from checking targets, but perhaps that's just the MFW way? :)

Joined the gym last night and will have to go as I paid for a year upfront! It was £305, but that included a corporate discount and a discount for paying upfront. Not too worried about the cost as I need to pay for an adult admission to take DD for 'free' swimming, so that saves something like £140/year. I am booked in for an induction on Wednesday and have started using MFP again :j

It's time to sort out the energy levels and weight again, I refuse to go past a 36" waist :o

Other plans for the day are to be fully present hanging out with DD and to return Mrs E's Mother's Day prezzie for a repair, as a small fault has developed after a mere fortnight.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    All sounds good, Ed :) and honestly, don't worry about the reins making dopamine hits (boundaries?) Once they're mobile, they need boundaries for their own good; they don't like them, but if they're genuinely for littl'un's own good, they don't injure them (don't draw on my toddler-height priceless painting is another matter, of course :) ).

I have a very vivid memory of telling a toddler I was in charge of that she could only stand on a wall if I was holding her hand, and it was okay not to hold my hand, but then she couldn't stand on the wall. Her choice, and maybe because of the certainty in my voice she didn't give me any grief. Ooh, and she understood - understanding is a big deal in this.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Oops! Causing confusion - I was talking about finances!!!
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    DD1 had baby reins. She never wore them, they were an incentive to hold my hand.
    The choice was "hold my hand or wear baby reins".

I am going to embarass her on her wedding day with the story of how she would try to get round that by saying "I hold my own hand".
  • edinburgher
    Options
    A productive day, but it was supposed to be more productive!

Started another round of work in the spare bedroom (study/mini guest bedroom). Removed the carpet and underlay, removed the horrible beading around one of the walls and tidied up protruding nails and pins, sanded down the windowsill and skirting boards to gloss and tidied everything up.

Was supposed to put on a coat of gloss primer as well, but forgot that I didn't have any brushes left :o Oops - I am a tit!

Did some other things instead, trying to make myself feel less silly :)
    • Took out the rubbish and recycling
    • Emptied the tumble dryer, folded up some laundry and processed another 2 loads of washing
    • Changed the sheets in DD's room. She has stopped using a dummy, but has been biting her fingers as she is teething and there were a few wee blood spots - any tips for avoiding finger chewing when gums are sore?
    • Listed a book and a DVD box set for sale on Am@azon
    • Washed DD's bottles and yesterday's wine glasses (this job is loathed in our house!)
    • Picked up some cheap new suit trousers from M&S outlet (they look ok for £16 actually)
    • Bundled up another pair of suit trousers that didn't fit for return to M&S
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Giant delivery of W@itrose wine arrived, I would shop with them again for luxuries on offer :beer:
    • First coat of gloss done, will do the final coat this evening
    • Breakfast, snacks and lunch all prepped for work tomorrow and added to MFP already. Weighed myself this morning and I have a lot of work to do!
    • Polishing my shoes while DD naps, Mrs E has dusted and polished the rest of the house
    • Will hoover once DD wakes up

We have started talking about the rest of the house again, think some light garden duties will be next. In terms of the 3rd bedroom, we now need a new carpet (will call them on Monday), a light shade, a folding chair and a medium sized bookcase for storage (will probably go the route of Ike@ with reed storage baskets).
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds like a very productive day. What's left to do (house)?

I didn't know deliveries on Sundays existed and I'll try to forget I saw the word IKEA. ;) :eek:

Living with my parents I managed to gain 4kg through making (and eating) far too many cakes. Lost the weight over January and now gained 2kgs back. Until Christmas last year I'd been the same weight since 18/19. It appears I now have to pay some mind to what I'm eating. :mad:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Have you joined mywaitrose Ed? 20% off 10 items, plus freebie offers occasionally - especially on the essentials range, things come down to normal prices, and if the shop is conveniently placed, thats helpful.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Sounds like a very productive day. What's left to do (house)?

I didn't know deliveries on Sundays existed and I'll try to forget I saw the word IKEA. ;) :eek:

Apart from the bits and bobs in the spare bedroom, we have our bedroom to do, I need to put down some engineered wood flooring in the downstairs hall and we'd like to update the kitchen (but this will take a few years to save for I suspect). We also need new gutters and soffits.

Ike@ provide quality products at fair prices, the difference between when I first visited one of their stores 15? years ago and now is night and day.

Most people don't feel the need to pick up bespoke artisanal furniture hand crafted by a blind Italian virgin with his bare hands and a teaspoon for the reason that it's too expensive and looks out of place in their home (which isn't a baronial castle) :p

My Father is an object lesson in this. When he got remarried, he spent months shopping for furniture with his then wife, both of them had very old fashioned tastes. I have very clear memories of them spending £3,000+ (£9,000 in today's money) on a beautiful hardwood dining table and chairs that they then had to cover with felt so that it didn't get damaged!

What on earth is the point in spending on 'best' when there's very little additional utility from it and you're afraid to use it? I appreciate that aesthetic appeal is a consideration for all of us, but there is no need to be sneery for the sake of it ;)

If there is a choice between cash in hand/in furniture, I'll take the hand.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Have you joined mywaitrose Ed? 20% off 10 items, plus freebie offers occasionally - especially on the essentials range, things come down to normal prices, and if the shop is conveniently placed, thats helpful.

Is there some way to filter the offers so that just the essentials appear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure