My cat died :(

Options

Comments

• cottage_retreatist
    Options
    thank you katiehound. I think that's the problem -i wasn't there at the end. I wrote him a letter to get it all out, I know he can't read it obviously but then at least he will know how much I loved him. I will keep it on my computer so I can remember him and all his little quirks. All the photos are on my OH's phone but i think i will save them on the computer. I suppose the question is - would getting another cat quickly be bad? Would they be able to smell him in the house if we got them too soon?
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j
  • amandagreen82
    Options
    Ohh, I'm sorry to hear your cat died. Loosing a beloved pet is always very hard :(
  • Scrapaholic
    Scrapaholic Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to read of your loss . We've had three cats pts in the last three years . 2 we were with when it happened . The last one was in the vets and was fitting so she was pts and we picked her up later . It was unexpected that she died . If it's any help to you , by the time we got her back , she was cold and it wasn't nice to hold her and it upset me even more . They are in our back garden but in the distant past some cats we left at the vets for disposal. Sorry how awful that word, disposal, seems . After our last cat was pts , we were in a restaurant , I started to think of her and cried , couldn't stop . It's normal to grieve as they're part of our family . We have, in the past , got a new kitten within a few days of losing one . It didn't make us forget our loss but looking after a new kitten gave us something happy to focus on . It's up to you if you feel you'd like a new pet . I'm sure some cat would be happy to share your life . Take care .
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really sorry and big hugs to you.

Do you know why the cat died? Has the vet told you what may have been the reason?

Was it an accident or was the cat ill?
  • sterl1ng
    sterl1ng Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know when my tabby tom of 6yrs at the time was near deaths door I was in pieces and so was lucky he pulled through in end. Doesn't matter how long you had them, they were still dear to you.
  • cottage_retreatist
    Options
    Really sorry and big hugs to you.

Do you know why the cat died? Has the vet told you what may have been the reason?

Was it an accident or was the cat ill?

hi gettingready

it was sudden acute pancreatitis but then he didn't recover and more things went wrong and eventually they operated 3 separate times to try and make him better but it must have been too much as eventually his heart just gave up :(

the vets were very good and even operated on him Easter Sunday to try and save him.

x
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would save all the photos now before something happens to the phone or they get accidentally deleted. Not only would I transfer them to your computer but also to maybe an external drive, cloud storage/ whatever because obviously you can't take any more. I would also print out the best ones either yourself or at a machine and frame them or keep in an album so that you have a tangible memory.

As far as getting a new cat that's up to you. If it would help you get over the grief then who is to say that is wrong? Giving a new cat , maybe a rescue? a home would be a great thing to do. You have to do what is best for you.

You never replace one pet with another because they each have different personalities.
    I can't imagine a home without a dog. Many years ago I lost my old dog and decided I would not replace him because let's face it pets are a tie. However I wouldn't stay in the house , wouldn't settle and friends almost dragged me to a rehoming centre.....where I chose 2 new canines! Since then I have always either had 1,2 or 3 dogs or access to one.

Take care
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poor thing... hugs to you xxx
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    i have the ashes of 2 of mt past cats, they are each in a wooden box - my Spice cat with a small plaque on the top with his name and my Sugar cat in a small carved wooden box which in all honesty could be taken for an ornament. The rest on the top of my book case.

i don't think it's macabre to keep their ashes. my aim is that one day i will get a large potted plant - a flowering bush/tree and lay them to rest under it so if i ever move from my flat i can take them with me.

your vet will tell you how the individual cremation are done any the type of container the ashes are put in. or you can provide a decorative box of your own i would think.

i quite like this - https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/488059859640424102?q=pet+urns+uk&rls=ig&rlz=1C2TEUA_enGB458GB458&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.65397613,d.bGQ,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Cf9mlb6I5DA.O&biw=1366&bih=643&tch=1&ech=1&psi=8bFaU8iBJoiIyQP5l4CgBw.1398452722209.5&ei=BLJaU4qQBcWp7AapsoGwDw&ved=0CIsCEKYrMBE
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• cottage_retreatist
    Options
    Hi scaredy_cat

That is a wonderful thing, we decided not to cremate him in the end and asked the vets to deal with his body, a part of me feels like we just tossed him away and feels guilty but the other part said remember him as he was not how he became in the end, with his little shaven belly and legs and his poorly body. I felt guilty for not crying over him this afternoon but I still miss him.

Xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family