The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Physio says i strained a tendon in my toe!
    Tiny little run round the block. ..maybe more tomorrow....mud spreafs the forces but so difficult to get my shoes dry!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Physio says i strained a tendon in my toe!
    Tiny little run round the block. ..maybe more tomorrow....mud spreafs the forces but so difficult to get my shoes dry!

I have trail shoes that dry fairly quick, but I use something like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/pso/Portable-Shoe-Dryer-Boot-Disinfectant-Warmer/B009R6TC5W

I can't remember where I got mine from but they get the worst off the shoes in an hour or so.
    In saying that, at the moment I am alternating between 2 pairs of road shoes and 2 pairs of trail shoes. So have no rush to dry things.

I have a bit of a running shoe fettish ... I am currently eyeing up the inov8 roclite 305's but can't justify the £100 price tag
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • catherinekate
    Options
    Mud would be nice, I moved north this year and it seems to be icy all the time so I am sticking to the pavements in the dark. Which is all the time because it's so far north! Although I am perhaps a bit too fastidious for really muddy races.

16k done this week. Target for the year is 1,000k (hit 750k this year) which means I need to get in about 20k / week. This will naturally step up as I get started on proper half marathon training but feeling behind at the moment!

TiredTrophy hope your toe gets better soon.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Mud would be nice, I moved north this year and it seems to be icy all the time so I am sticking to the pavements in the dark. Which is all the time because it's so far north! Although I am perhaps a bit too fastidious for really muddy races.

I did a 7 mile cross country race today :) Covered in mud it was great :)

If it is that icy then it is easier to run off road. I have done a few runs at around 6am and it has been sheet ice on the roads. Now that does wake you up in the morning.
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    May I join you? I'm registered for Bath Half in March, and I'm so slow! I run/walk at the moment, and I've been doing couch to 5k on my runs to try and up the time I spend actually jogging. Today I did 12.4km, very very slowly, repeating week 5 (8mins running, 5 walking).

I've also registered for Trailwalker, in July, which is a 100km non stop walk, so I'll be on my feet a fair bit.

any tips for increasing my ability to run non-stop? My pace is already pretty damn slow.. Is it just a case of preservering with couch to 5k?
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • RebeccaAnn
    Options
    Can I also join please?

I have been running for a few years now but due to working odd hours last summer I really lost my motivation and didn't get back into a routine.

I'm looking into a few races too. I have only ever ran alone but I would really like to take part in an ultra at some point. For most I would need to complete a marathon first so lots of planning to do!
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • indesisiv
    Options
    RebeccaAnn wrote: »
    Can I also join please?

I have been running for a few years now but due to working odd hours last summer I really lost my motivation and didn't get back into a routine.

I'm looking into a few races too. I have only ever ran alone but I would really like to take part in an ultra at some point. For most I would need to complete a marathon first so lots of planning to do!

I'm doing an ultra in August (35 miles) and the furthest I have run in a race is a half. And 17 in training. I have entered a marathon in June though. I figured that 8 months is enough training as the one I have entered is supposed to be really friendly and good for first timers. Plus the cut offs are quite generous.
  • RebeccaAnn
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    I'm doing an ultra in August (35 miles) and the furthest I have run in a race is a half. And 17 in training. I have entered a marathon in June though. I figured that 8 months is enough training as the one I have entered is supposed to be really friendly and good for first timers. Plus the cut offs are quite generous.
    Yes I have also been looking for something well organised and easy going. It seems there is a trail marathon local to me in the summer so I shall have a look at signing up to that when I next get paid. Have you done much training off road?
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • indesisiv
    Options
    RebeccaAnn wrote: »
    Yes I have also been looking for something well organised and easy going. It seems there is a trail marathon local to me in the summer so I shall have a look at signing up to that when I next get paid. Have you done much training off road?

The marathon I have entered is a trail marathon.
    I tend to alternate my long run on a Sunday as one week on road on week off road. I have also done quite a bit of running in the lake district and a bit it the peak district. Last year I took myself off to the lake district to run at least once a month :)

I have just signed up for the runYHA weekend in may which is a 2 night stay in the peak district for a bit of training. As it is run by the YHA it is quite good. It is a gentle night run on the Friday, Half marathon on the Sat and 10k on the Sun. B&B and all the races £90 so not bad at all :)
    Details are not yet on the website for this yet but as I went last year I have already been invited back :)

I have also entered a couple of multi terrain 10k's this year, also running the northern cross country champs at the end of Jan. We also have a local series of cross country races which I have been racing (Between 4 and 7 miles) but they would be classed as trail races everywhere else rather than cross country :rotfl:

If you fancy the marathon I say just get it booked. The one I am doing is in the peak district so a good couple of hours away from me, but it is aimed at first timers and is low key. (I don't like the massive crowds for road marathons)
  • zoothornrollo_2
    Options
    Never mind ultras, you should get yourself in one of the big Lake District fell races indesisiv.... Wasdale or Ennerdale would stretch the legs ... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure