The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    It was our local half marathon yesterday - I really felt for them in the howling gale we had going.

The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.

We sadly ran straight into it all the way. Luckily / unluckily my mate was mildly injured so I kept having to slow down to let him keep up so it was a slow run.

Screenshot_20170320-085909_zpsppw3ahoj.png

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me.

I used to do this until I realised how much energy it uses, now I just gentle ease back the pace to let people keep up.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    yes - Reading.

DH just turns into Tigger and bounces on the spot waiting for me. He paid for it for the rest of the day though, and was still moaning this morning. It was probably the furthest he has ever run. TBH the same is probably true of me but I have built up to this rather than just going out from scratch.
    indesisiv wrote: »
    The half is a circular route so at least they had the wind behind them and the sides at some point.

Yup, I can confirm it was windy running it - though there were only a few bits I really noticed it tough going thank goodness. Being surrounded by other people probably helped with a bit of a barrier. Couldn't deff done with it behind us for the last couple of miles down the A33 though :)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,630 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!

I will start with a 10k - I just can't make any plans for a particular one at the moment but if I can do 7k then I can do 10k.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • indesisiv
    Options
    well done both of you. Reading has sent me an early bird entry for next year - no idea how I ended up on that list!!!

I get loads of things like that now, from doing similar races. Its really hard to not enter races when they keep waving them at you.
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra :eek::eek: errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I've just got an email for a Reading Ultra :eek::eek: errr...never ever ever..... i broke into a cold sweat finishing yesterday thinking I'd only be 1/2 way in a full marathon.

haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol :beer: :rotfl::T
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    haha well that has got me looking forward to my first marathon in June lol :beer: :rotfl::T

whoops, sorry :o I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)

It's like anything, all about the training and putting in the miles beforehand, a few years back I couldn't run a mile so entering a half marathon would have been bonkers, so I trained and now whilst still bonkers, it's a little more achievable :D but my training isn't what I'd need to do a full one.

Hats off to you :beer:
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indesisiv
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    whoops, sorry :o I am sure you'll do amazing (hey, in my book doing it full stop is amazing)

:rotfl: I'm sure it is going to be fine. I am back to full training of around 50 miles a week and have now run nearly 20 miles (Albeit not quickly but there were a few big hills in that run).

Yeah like you the thought of doing a marathon when I started running a year and a half ago was :eek::eek:
    I'm still not sure that I would be able to run a road marathon though, I much prefer to have terrain difference which changes your stride and give your legs a break. I'm hoping that the marathon goes well as I have 35 miles to do in August :rotfl:
  • indesisiv
    Options
    Something clicked for me this week. I managed to take 26 secs off my 5k PB in one fell swoop and bring it down to under 19:30 :)
    Happy bunny here.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,630 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    congratulations.

I managed a couple of short but hard (for me) runs this week - I was staying in Dorset and it was very hilly! My specs seem to stay on OK so I will try and do a few more in the next 10 days before I have to take a break for an eye op.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure