The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good luck @KeepOnRunning.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Southernman
    Options
    Whilst im By no means an ultra runner nor am I fast, I always believe a slow runner is better than someone who spends their days sat on their settee!

Im getting married in 3.5 months so want to avoid looking like a blob in my wedding dress so im Running around 6 miles 4-5 days a week at the moment.

As I only cover 11 min miles, after running for over an hour in the dark and the wet after work its harder to force myself to do much more and I just can;t seem to speed up!

Im hoping that once it gets lighter and dryer in the evenings I can go in the country park. Right now its pitch black with no street lights.

I!!!8217;ve also signed up for a half marathon, my first one im Doing solo!
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • indesisiv
    Options
    @Southernman you clearly have the base, so if you want to speed up i would try doing some intervals.
  • spikyone
    spikyone Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    @Southernman you clearly have the base, so if you want to speed up i would try doing some intervals.

+1. Intervals and hills are definitely good for speed!

@Southernman - First up, well done on getting out there!
    Are you always running the same route? It's easy to settle into a "routine" pace if you're just doing the same thing over and over. I would recommend running different routes, and also varying both your speed and distance. Run some longer, slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones. If you look at any training plan the workouts will be quite varied and you rarely do the same thing on consecutive training days.

I'm in full-on marathon training now, yesterday was a 2.5 hour run. I managed to hit 20 miles, which I was happy with, and the legs feel surprisingly good today. It's 11 weeks til marathon day so plenty of time to work on endurance and hopefully a bit more pace, knowing that adrenaline and tapering should help on April 29th. It sometimes feels like the training plan is taunting me though, as I'm supposed to be doing an hour on a hilly route today!
  • indesisiv
    Options
    spikyone wrote: »
    I'm in full-on marathon training now, yesterday was a 2.5 hour run. I managed to hit 20 miles, which I was happy with, and the legs feel surprisingly good today. It's 11 weeks til marathon day so plenty of time to work on endurance and hopefully a bit more pace, knowing that adrenaline and tapering should help on April 29th. It sometimes feels like the training plan is taunting me though, as I'm supposed to be doing an hour on a hilly route today!

Good effort @spikyone you seem to be a bit further on in your plan than I am :eek:
    Which is worrying as I only have 7/8 weeks ... I was out for a 2hr run yesterday in that horrible wind. Admittedly it was a relatively easy effort for 13 miles then with the last 4 at tempo pace.
  • Southernman
    Options
    +1. Intervals and hills are definitely good for speed!

@Southernman - First up, well done on getting out there!
    Are you always running the same route? It's easy to settle into a "routine" pace if you're just doing the same thing over and over. I would recommend running different routes, and also varying both your speed and distance. Run some longer, slower runs, and some shorter but faster ones. If you look at any training plan the workouts will be quite varied and you rarely do the same thing on consecutive training days.

Are you doing the Manchester marathon by any chance?

At the moment because the country park is waterlogged i am doing the same 'safe' route. The problem i face as a lone female runner at night is that i have to go along main roads for safety purposes. This does mean i pass 2 McDonalds, a KFC, the McVities biscuit factory and 2 chippies. I should look at some maps to see what other routes i could do.

I don't have a running partner and quite frankly i hate running with others. On race day i absolutely hate having someone hovering nearby all the way around the course.

I have tried to incorporate sprints in my run (today and yesterday), especially at the uphill bits. Tonight when i got home my legs were jelly but i managed to shave 5 mins off my time.
    Mortgage 1: May 2012 £90,000 April 2020: £47,000
    Mortgage 2: £270,000😱 Jan 2019 £253,000 April 2020
  • indesisiv
    Options

I'm doing Manchester :T its at the beginning of April.

Easy day today though after last nights brutal session. 8 x 600m (all at 5:30 miles/min) with only 400m jog recovery.

Personally I like to keep my speed sessions short and separate to my normal training runs as it allows you to put full effort into the reps. I do sometimes put some hill efforts in to a longer run but not at max attack!
  • spikyone
    Options
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Good effort @spikyone you seem to be a bit further on in your plan than I am :eek:
    Which is worrying as I only have 7/8 weeks ... I was out for a 2hr run yesterday in that horrible wind. Admittedly it was a relatively easy effort for 13 miles then with the last 4 at tempo pace.

Thanks! I think the plan I'm on hits you with big mileage fairly early. I only have a couple of 3 hour runs scheduled between now and marathon day, the rest of my 'long' runs are 2 hours or less. The plan hasn't involved much speed work so far, although last night was an hour on a hilly course and tonight is an hour of Fartlek.
    From what you've said before I think you're starting from a higher level than me so I'm still trying to catch up!

At the moment because the country park is waterlogged i am doing the same 'safe' route. The problem i face as a lone female runner at night is that i have to go along main roads for safety purposes. This does mean i pass 2 McDonalds, a KFC, the McVities biscuit factory and 2 chippies. I should look at some maps to see what other routes i could do.

I don't have a running partner and quite frankly i hate running with others. On race day i absolutely hate having someone hovering nearby all the way around the course.

I have tried to incorporate sprints in my run (today and yesterday), especially at the uphill bits. Tonight when i got home my legs were jelly but i managed to shave 5 mins off my time.

I'm doing Newport, which is a complete unknown as this is the first year they've held it. It's supposed to be flat...

Well done on pushing over the hills! If your legs are tired then that's also a good excuse to run a slower pace next time out - running slowly will improve your endurance, which helps you out even in shorter events. I understand what you're saying about staying safe. Apps like mapmyrun are good for finding routes nearby that others have used, if you need inspiration.
  • indesisiv
    edited 13 February 2018 at 1:05PM
    Options
    Thanks! I think the plan I'm on hits you with big mileage fairly early. I only have a couple of 3 hour runs scheduled between now and marathon day, the rest of my 'long' runs are 2 hours or less. The plan hasn't involved much speed work so far, although last night was an hour on a hilly course and tonight is an hour of Fartlek.
    From what you've said before I think you're starting from a higher level than me so I'm still trying to catch up!

My longest run that i have planned in is just less than 2.5 hrs (20 miles). Easy effort at marathon pace + 40 secs per mile. I think I am going to do one run of about 18 miles at marathon pace just for piece of mind and then that is it for me.

I figure that I felt ok for the 17 on sunday so keep the mileage easy. Especially as that was an easy run to see if running 17 miles without water etc was doable.

To be fair I am not doing a plan as such but have a plan i have put together. Which is why some aspects of my training are not necessarily just aimed at running a marathon. And I am not planning on running flat out for the marathon but just aiming for a time that theoretically is well within my ability. Just ticking a box hopefully. If I do another one after this then I can risk pushing harder (I just don't want to blow up on my first marathon)
  • BrookesAndrew
    Options
    Done my first half marathon on Sunday in 1 hour 50 minutes and 20 seconds. Doing another one end of April so hoping to get into the 1:40s!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure