Renault sold me a display car without telling me! Help!

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I knew it would be stored in a compound ... However the signs are that this has been outside
    Where do you think most of these compounds are?

By all means contact the dealer and see if they'll at least properly valet & prep the car for you but don't go thinking you haven't got a new car because that's exactly what you have got.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I have paid for a new car and have got one with wear and tear from being outside.

I hate to break this to you, but cars arent all kept in heated showrooms once their built until they are sold. Moreoften they lie in fields for months until such time as they're shipped to a dealer whereby they're cleaned and PDI'd.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    However the signs are that this has been outside, on display on the forecourt

Clean it then.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I know im probably being a little over the top and maybe should just clean it. I knew it would be stored in a compound etc and that it wouldn't literally be straight out the factory. However the signs are that this has been outside, on display on the forecourt, in the elements, possibly for months. Surely this isn't right. I would expect to get a discount for a car that has been used as an advertisement /display, or at least to be informed

Get them to valet it properly.
  • Mattielovesmusicals
    Options
    OK sounds like I'm overreacting. I'll take it in and get them to valet it and sort the chip in the paintwork. When he told me the car was in the compound I pictured (sounds like wrongly) some big warehouse
  • sg1066
    sg1066 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I have bought 1 new car & it had 1 mile on the clock.

It was what I expected from a new car, it was built, transported, parked then sold to me. It had not been used for anything else.

I'm with the OP, it would have bothered me if my new car showed signs of being used.

:)
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    Clean it then.

No, he's certainly entitled to have them clean it for him. At a bit of a stretch he might even push (gently) for a freebie or two as an apology for his inconvenience in having to return it, but that's going to be very much at the dealer's discretion - where attitude counts for everything!

Having it outside is ok - as others have said, it will have spent a lot of its time since leaving the factory outside anyway. But a proper PDI and valet should have avoided the marks etc that he's found.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sg1066 wrote: »
    I have bought 1 new car & it had 1 mile on the clock.

It was what I expected from a new car, it was built, transported, parked then sold to me. It had not been used for anything else.

I'm with the OP, it would have bothered me if my new car showed signs of being used.

:)

Was employed by Rolls Royce in Crewe for a while back in the '80s. They used to come out of the factory with at east 100 - 150 miles on the clock because of testing. And they weren't exactly gentle miles in a lot of cases.

You don't expect that level of service from other makers, but 39 miles is nothing - and at least it proves it's not going to explode in its first hour on the road :)
  • Mark_Mark
    Mark_Mark Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, but you don't expect a new car to have been sat on the forecourt with advertising stickers all over it, especially seeing as the remnants of the stickers are still there

It's amazing how their display car had all the options you wanted and was in the right colour. Or was that the reason you got a good deal?
  • Mattielovesmusicals
    Options
    There really is no need for the sarcastic responses and accusatory tones. The only option we chose was the colour, other than that it was as standard. We weren't steered towards any choices or offered the display model. If we were why would I even bother to post on here? The 'deal' was simply the deal they had on at the time as advertised in all Renault showrooms
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure