Giblet's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Gib,

You certainly do come across as very motivated and I know its hard to keep the motivation going with everything else going on. I hope your ongoing health problems are resolved soon (and DHs and mums).

As for feeling overwhelmed with where to start, I often feel this and then end up doing nothing (or spend far too much time lurking about on here :)) At the moment, I'm trying to do a massive clearout/clean of the flat and there's so much to do (very small flat, lots of stuff). I've been saying to myself 'right I'll just tackle this shelving unit/wardrobe etc for the next half hour and then take a break'. By breaking it down into smaller bits, it seems (slightly!) more manageable.

Don't beat yourself up for having the takeaway on Saturday, we all need a treat. It's even harder to keep motivated if there's no treats to look forward to :)

How much longer does the loan have to go before it's paid off? It will be great to watch the daily interest on the mortgage go down once you're in a position to make overpayments to it.

Like you, I am the main breadwinner and want babies in the near future, I feel as though the debt is holding us back from this as no idea what how we'd cope on a reduced income if I was on maternity leave. I need to get my !!!! in gear too :rotfl:

Keep going Gib, you're doing fab! x
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • giblet1979
    giblet1979 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey misstara,
    Thank you for your lovely post - it really cheered me up (whilst sat waiting for a blood test which was 30 mins late, lol).
    I totally agree about breaking things down - I hope you're getting on well with clearing the flat? It'll be so much better when it's done I'm sure!
    Technically, the loan has just over 4 years to run, but there are no overpayment penalties (they assure me) so I'd like to get rid in the next 2 years max all being well. When the windows are paid off in December (we are currently putting £350 aside each month plus a bit more from the private work as the 0% ends in January) we will have more to throw at the loan so it should speed up a bit! I'm managing between £50 - £400 a month overpayment so far and with a bit of focus this might be sustainable despite the many costs that seem to appear :)

In MSE news, another NSD (I think that's 3 in a row???) and leftovers / freezer offerings tonight so a frugal one in the Gib household.

DH has just appeared so I'm off to do the tea. Hope everyone is doing well? x
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I agree with misstara Gib. You are doing really well. :T
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Thanks supersaver - right back at ya! x

• giblet1979
    Options
    Ooh exciting times...just restarted my budgeting on YNAB (after watching the tutorials this time to properly understand it, ahem...) and very impatient to get paid to complete a full month. Also done some discussing and re-jigging of the standing orders / savings contributions with DH to ensure that we are getting the best possible return on the 'window's funds' (two regular savers with high interest but limited deposits). I have been putting £250 into mine (max) and DH £100 into his as that was all he could manage alongside his 'joint bills account' contribution (he gets paid peanuts for what he does but at least it's a job poor lamb :( ). We've now worked it out so I'm paying £250 more to the bills and he can max his savings. I just now need to make sure my money doesn't transfer over until I get paid, otherwise I'll be paying my first offical charges of the year....lol.
    Feeling quite positive, although we do have to keep things very tight as we've got a lot of 'plasterer' expenses upcoming, and that extra £500 I can see isn't spare money (or an overpayment, which is more tempting actually and that pleases me very much!!)
    Right enough ramblings (apologies to anyone reading for the stream of consciousness - time for a brew!) x

• supersaver1000
    Options
    Sounds fab Gib. Hope to be in your position again soon. However at the moment I can't even afford to buy YNAB. (Have signed up to the email course). Next year I can reduce my car payments from £336 to perhaps £180. X
  • giblet1979
    Options
    Thanks ss - sorry you're having such a tough time atm. We are very lucky to be in this position, and the extra private work I've been doing is the reason really. I have to remember to see that as 'extra' and not become reliant on it tho as it isn't a given (and if my health doesn't hold, as today has been horrendous, then we'll be deep in the s***).

Bad times today which got so bad at one point, I almost rang an ambulance for myself (pain was so bad - worse than when I was in hospital last year). I got home tho and it's calmed down, so thank heavens for that. Going to relax, and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. At least it was a NSD!!!

Hope everyone is well? x

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Gib, today sounds awful I hope DH is looking after you tonight. All the extra work is great for getting debt free quicker but not at the expense of your health. Remember to take some time for you too :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    Hi Gib. Thank you, I need to remind myself that there's a lot of money going into the car and if I didn't have that I'd be much better off and it was my choice (although I took it on when OH got co.car).

I'm so sorry to hear you weren't well today. I hope you manage to get a good rest and feel better tomorrow.

I need to look at a second income again, once DD goes back to school. I'm going to treasure these extra days for a few weeks and think about some SE for September.

Sending hugs galore x
  • Divingmad
    Divingmad Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Gib,

Hope you are feeling better today, sending hugs your way

DM
    x
    I feel like a Pelican - everywhere I look there's a bill staring at me!LBM: March 2014 Current CC debt: £1205.82/£3666.53 (32.88% repaid) Current Challenges:Tilly Tidy: £983.75/£2500 (39.35%) 3 to 6 month emergency fund #75: £922.97/£6000 (15.38%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure