🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    These days, I actively avoid some areas of the board as it can get quite ugly.
    Go on the house buying board and say you've been letting a house for a few months - is there anything you should have done first? That gets REALLY ugly :eek::rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for popping in GG and GG! I agree, MFW is a very friendly place :)

Well, it's been a very busy couple of days!

OH decided to regress to his teenage years and was rather sick after going out on Friday night :eek: I have just about forgiven him but he still has some cleaning to do...don't ask :mad:

We went out on our friend's dad's boat yesterday (OH looked very green for the first few hours - no sympathy from me :naughty:) and they all did some fishing while I kept as far out of the way as I could on a 14ft boat. Unfortunately they caught nearly 200 mackeral but I am trying to see the mse side of it in that OH now has lots of free fish in the meat drawer of the freezer. I don't disagree with fishing - everything they caught will be eaten- and I tried not to look but can't say I'll be going fishing again, at least they didn't catch anything bigger or I might have got a bit upset :(

We were out of the house for nearly 13 hours though and I was so exhausted I slept for nearly 11 hours!

OH has been busy cleaning this morning and I've been investigating energy companies to switch to - what do you do when they all have terrible reviews? The washing machine has been on non-stop since about 8 o'clock and we're having to use the tumble dryer because the weather is grey and wet :(

We're treating ourselves to a nice walk this afternoon at a National Trust property and OH has promised to treat me to a slice of cake - he's trying to get back in my good books - he has no idea :rotfl:
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Evening everyone in MFW land :wave:

We had a lovely afternoon with a five mile walk in beautiful surroundings followed by an ice cream in the sun as the clouds have lifted.

Today I have:
    • Done a lot of washing, unfortunately the TD has been on twice so far.
    • Switched electricity supplier saving £7 a month on our DD. Went for the cheapest in the end because they all seem to get terrible feedback so I couldn't choose between them!
    • Cancelled OH's micr0s0ft office subscription saving him £7 (I think?) a month.
    • Vacuumed
    • Cooked a very cheap tomato and mixed bean pasta using up all of last weeks veg
    • Filled up a charity bag to go outside tomorrow morning.
    • Had lovely afternoon with OH and the dog

There's nothing like cuddling up with a very tired dog and watching TV of a Sunday evening!

Hope you have all had a lovely weekend,

Janey
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed your ice cream :D happy Sunday :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    How lovely to be out on the water.

Mr GG's cousin used to have a cottage in Milford on Sea, and a little boat. We spent a couple of happy weekends down there visiting, and going out on the boat - I loved it!

But it wasn't fishing, just pottering around in boats.

I eat meat and fish..... But I don't necessarily want to see how it was caught.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • ljaneyr
    edited 18 August 2014 at 9:39PM
    Options
    Oh my goodness, this wedding politics business is annoying! OH just told me he'd rather cancel the whole thing and I'm inclined to agree at the moment. I feel like I've wasted most of the day so far worrying about it :( Better write a list...

Already done:
    • Hang out washing
    • Return item to M&S
    • Collect parcel from PO

To do:
      [STRIKE]
    • RM survey stuff
    • Contact wedding venue (don't worry - not cancelling yet...)[/STRIKE]
    • Do some sewing and adjust a dress I need to wear to a wedding on Thursday
    • Sort the heap of junk in my dining room

Going to have a late lunch first, I always feel worse when I'm hungry :o
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit better this evening. I spent most of the afternoon tweaking the wedding plans and guest list. We can't invite everyone and we've decided to change some things, cancel others and have trimmed about £1400 off the predicted cost! I also found some photographers websites with less eye-watering prices. We haven't compromised on everything though so don't feel bad about it!

I need to call the registrar to change the ceremony to the registry office, which I think will save about £300 even with the admin fee.

The shoes I bought from ebay arrived and they are gorgeous...and too small! So I will return them and have already bought the next size up from a different seller.

I've got a lot to do this week and can't help feeling I've wasted today being silly. Tomorrow I'm going to do some packing with my mum who is struggling a bit all of a sudden. In a selfish way, it will do me good to think about someone else for the day!

Sorry if you've had to read all this today! I'll try to make it up to you ;)

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Afternoon/evening everyone :wave:

Yesterday was a complete write off as I felt really grotty. I couldn't really work out what was wrong but I felt awful. Probably should have stayed in bed rather than feeling stressed about wasting the day and sitting around feeling like I should be getting on with something!

Today has been better. I went horse riding this morning then finished sorting out the stuff that came out of my mum's loft. I now have a pile of rubbish for a trip to the tip on Saturday and a box for the charity shop.

OH and I are going to a wedding reception this evening which is nice as it's not too far from home!

Janey x
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. Have a good evening :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Thanks SF, feeling OK today but now I'm exhausted after spending the day packing up my mum's house!

She's hoping to move on Wednesday and I can't wait :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport