Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Options

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ljaneyr wrote: »
    I am very excited to announce (to anyone who is interested) that we have a lady coming over tomorrow to do a home-check and see if we are suitable to give a hound a home :j

She was really nice on the phone and I ended up telling her all of my dog's foibles but they didn't seem to put her off :o
    Ooh yay :j :j and that's a massive amount saved, well done you!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Janey! Been reading your diary over the last few days at work, absolutely loved it :) Especially all the dog tales, hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

Just wanted to say there's a deal in this weeks MSE email for £10 off postage through a courier comparison website. I think it's just £10 off one booking, not a £10 voucher added to your account, but it might be useful for one of your bigger ebay items? Link to the MSE page here :)

Best of luck with everything, hoping it won't be too long until I can move over from DFW to MFW (although we're saving for a deposit so I suppose I'm a MFW-w?!) Do totally agree with what you posted about MFW being a very friendly place. A few years ago there was a phase where other parts of this forum were referring to the MFW's, and DFW's, as "huggers" :D
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Cinny91

I can't believe you read my whole diary! I don't remember writing anything very interesting :o You deserve a medal ;)

Thanks for reminding me about the e-mail, I did see the offer mentioned but had forgotten it again. It might be useful if I manage to sell anything!

Well done on your DFW progress. I had a car loan, two maxed out credit cards and about £100 in the bank when we bought this place so I know how wonderful it feels to get them paid off! I'm not strictly a MFW because we're not ready to pay anything off the mortgage yet. It is our goal for the future but hopefully in a bigger house! Renovating and extending this house are our main priority at the moment (especially central heating!!!).

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • Habibiboo
    Habibiboo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    :wave:

Mornin' ! Exciting news, new spreadsheet and potential new hound! Well done with the savings too, it's a great way to start a new month, having all your pennies in the right pot!

Good luck with the visit today, hope all goes well and that your cheeky girl doesn't show off too many of her foibles on the visit. Well done for remembering to pick up the presents before the inspection too!

Keep us updated (am loving the idea of a possible lurcher boy to go with your Jack Russell, sounds like an excellent pairing for being able to go off hunting for your tea or something) :rotfl:
    Stash busting 2014 45 / 60 (balls of yarn)!
    2014 Sealed Pot #2136 ?/£500
    House: Decluttering 322 / 365
    Original mortgage [STRIKE]£149,000[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£117,750[/STRIKE];[STRIKE]£112,500[/STRIKE] MFW 2014#69 GOAL 1: [STRIKE]£109 K April[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 2: [STRIKE]£103 K by Sept[/STRIKE] ;) GOAL 3: < £100k by end of 2014 MF goal: Nov 2020 - 4 years early
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Habibiboo wrote: »

Keep us updated (am loving the idea of a possible lurcher boy to go with your Jack Russell, sounds like an excellent pairing for being able to go off hunting for your tea or something) :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: The lady said they could chase small furries together - one above ground, one below :rotfl:! In all seriousness though, we never let ours off the lead anywhere with the slightest possibility of rabbits or squirrels, so only on the beach really. Luckily we live within walking distance of a lovely big beach :D

Our dog was beautifully behaved, but my mum's dog got very excited and scared their massive greyhound half to death! We are now waiting for a suitable dog to become available as there isn't one in Cornwall at the moment, but they are contacting the other counties as we said we'd be happy to travel. Feeling very excited :j:j:j
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    How exciting :j :j
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • ljaneyr
    edited 3 September 2014 at 10:27AM
    Options
    An update for yesterday mainly as I didn't get round to it :)

MFW actions:
    • Most money shuffles done
    • Not a NSD as I had to book a hotel for a wedding we are going to but the room had gone up by £19 :mad:
    • Whilst decluttering I emptied a change jar of OH's into my giant whiskey bottle
    • Also 'bought' three £2 coins from him for my piggy bank. Not sure where this money will end up being allocated.
    • A whopping £87 cashback ready to be paid by £co when it hurries up and updates my payment details :j
    • Sold my first book on ebay! £2.50 before fees and postage - I'll be rich before you know it :rotfl:

Save 7k Challenge
    :j A fab start of £1120 :j So 16% of the way there and means we could save just £654 a month for the next 9 months and still reach the target :D If only it could be that much every month.

Exercise:
    Dogs walked for 2 miles at top speed due to threatening grey clouds.

To do:
    [STRIKE]Clean bathroom[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Menu and shopping list[/STRIKE]
    Filing
    [STRIKE]Withdraw cash for the month
    Prepare book for posting
    Gardening and mow lawn
    New household chores rota for September[/STRIKE]

Happy thoughts
    Feeling generally happy and positive at the moment :)
    OH is happy despite working long hours and this helps ;)
    Mum has finally exchanged on her house :T - didn't realise how much this was worrying me :o
    The possibility of a lovely new addition to the family (a dog not a baby to those of you who may be scan-reading this!)
    It's not raining...the list just goes on today :D

Righteo, OH is out picking up the last of the fence panels so I might have a sneaky cuppa and give mum a ring for a gossip - shhh!

Janey x
  • ljaneyr
    edited 3 September 2014 at 4:03PM
    Options
    It's about time for an update for the last few days I think!

Dog update
    Most important news first! For anyone who hasn't read Hbbb's diary, we are going to collect our new lurcher pup on Saturday! We are so excited and wish we could go sooner. He is only 10 months old but has been in 2 different homes so far (through no fault of his own, who gives a dog as a present nowadays?) and now a week in kennels so we want to get him into his forever loving home.
    The poor chap has been turned down by two families in the last week because they didn't like his eyes, which we think is a disgusting way to choose a dog. His eyes are very unusual, one is a very light blue and the other is about a third blue and we feel he is beautiful!
    We have a new ID tag, new food bowl, a space for his bed and a new name (the name he came with was not very positive :() all waiting for his arrival :)

MFW actions:
    £94 on its way to me from £co
    Sold another book on ebay - about a 60p profit after all fees and postage :rotfl:
    2 x £2 into piggy bank
    Interest from NW account moved into ISA
    We bought a chop saw in big orange DIY store at the weekend. Priced at £128 but OH noticed an old sale label on the box when we got to the till so paid £107 :T He was really chuffed so it's nice to see him becoming more MSE minded as the quest goes on :rotfl: :money:
    I have updated my sig. with progress from the end of Aug.

Think that's about it? This month will not be as successful in terms of savings as we thought, due to adoption fees and new pet insurance etc but we are totally happy with our decision :)

Save 7k Challenge
    Still 16%. I'm going to put £40 of the £co cashback in when it gets here.

Exercise:
    Rode a different friends horse on Monday and I am really sore! Then struggled at martial arts as we had a session focusing on legs - ouch! I was still sore at yoga last night but a bit better this morning :o

To do:
    Last day of the holidays so I want to get a load of annoying admin jobs ticked off.
    • [STRIKE]Physio exercises
    • Filing from August!
    • RM survey stuff[/STRIKE]
    • Decluttering in dining room, aka room of doom, aka new dog room
    • Make lemon cake
    • [STRIKE]Call NUT about reduced hours[/STRIKE] - They said I have overpaid by over £50 for this year so have no more to pay this year and will just pay £4 a month next year :j Also got details to claim tax relief on subscriptions for the last 6 years (this has been on my to-do list for a couple of years now :o
    • [STRIKE]Get pet insurance quotes[/STRIKE] A very reasonable £45 to add him to our existing policy until it ends in Feb - comparison sites can't beat it
    • [STRIKE]ring solicitors
    • e-mail Mr T about duff suitcase wheel[/STRIKE]
    • ebay at least 5 items
    • [STRIKE]Walk dogs[/STRIKE]

Happy thoughts
    Dog
    Dog
    Dog
    Dog...do you get the idea?

Not so happy thoughts
    School tomorrow :( Already having stressful dreams about it :(
    Annoying pain in knee is persisting, comes back every time I exercise so need to take a trip to the Drs (not my favourite place :()
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    YAAAAY re: dog :j :j please post pics when you can! and I hope school goes alright tomorrow :)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Exciting news about the dog!:j

Good luck for tomorrow
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts