🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Janey's Journey to Becoming a MFW

Options

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for popping in Hbbb, SF and goldie :hello:

I'm still feeling positive - it's good to have a plan that feels achievable :)

This evening I started the declutter mission with 23 books to go via ebay or the charity shop. Thanks for your thoughts on ebaying goldie, I've been looking into the fees and while they are more expensive than they used to be, I'm going to give it a try and take your advice. We have a couple of larger items to sell too which should have a larger value.

Fingers crossed for moving day tomorrow :)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • ljaneyr
    edited 28 August 2014 at 7:04PM
    Options
    What a day yesterday was! My poor mum has moved out of her house but is not able to move into her new house yet :eek:. Due to a !!!! up by one of the solicitors in the chain (went on holiday without making any arrangements !! :mad:), they haven't even exchanged contracts yet. We had everything in the removal lorry by the time we found this out so mum is staying with a friend and her stuff is being stored.

Looking on the bright side, mum is very happy to be staying in a clean and tidy house for a couple of nights!

In money news - I can't wait for pay day tomorrow!!!

MFW actions:
    NSD yesterday and today - no money left so can't spend it :rotfl:
    OH still working late but he looked really tired when he got home last night at 9:30
    Two loads of washing dried on the line in a couple of hours
    Scanned a load of books into Webuyb00ks then worked out which ones might do better on eb@y - 10 books listed on eb@y and still got a pile to go to Webuyb00ks. This will hopefully help the savings and the decluttering!

Save 7k Challenge
    Initial indications suggest we will have a great start on this when we get paid tomorrow :j

Exercise:
    Horse riding this morning
    Not much else, feeling emotionally exhausted this week.

To do:
    [STRIKE]New spreadsheets for September
    Wash towels
    Wash load of clothes
    Post parcels[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Start ebay mission[/STRIKE] 10 books listed that (I think) might sell, didn't bother with the rest!
    Fill charity bag

Happy thoughts
    I'm expecting a phone call to speak to a lady about a dog - soooo excited!!!
    Horse riding in the warm sunshine
    Feeling extremely grateful for my lovely family and friends :)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Need more info on the dog...! :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Need more info on the dog...! :D

I just posted on your diary! This is the first time I will actually get to speak to a real person so no idea about the dog yet, but I'll keep you updated :)
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Ooh okay :) keep us updated!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    I'm trying to do my pay day money shuffle but the S@ntander internet banking is refusing to work :mad::mad::mad:.

Don't these people care about my spreadsheets!
  • WhiteSnowdrop
    Options
    Hi
    I've only been flea baying since June and I really like it. You don't always make much and its a little time consuming to start with taking photos and writing descriptions but it does get easier and quicker. Fingers crossed I've had great feedback so far and like Goldiegirl said I am alway very honest about any defects. Sometimes the profits are low but I just think they are higher than if I just chucked something away and I'm not adding to the landfill problem, plus I can see a bit more floor in my house! Also to make myself feel better I op all of the profit and just pay for the postage and fees, a cheats way of saving!

WS
    GC Feb - £190/£200
    2015 OP Challenge - £420/£4000
    Mortgage Free Aim Nov 2021
  • ljaneyr
    Options
    Thanks for popping in snowdrop :)

I'm happy to give the bay of e another try but I'm going to make sure I follow the good advice I've received and check postage costs and item descriptions carefully. Some of my books are not worth listing because others are selling them for less than it would cost me to post! I've listed one series of books as a set and am going to try CollectPlus for the first time as they are so much cheaper for a heavy item.
  • ljaneyr
    edited 30 August 2014 at 2:44PM
    Options
    I am very excited to announce (to anyone who is interested) that we have a lady coming over tomorrow to do a home-check and see if we are suitable to give a hound a home :j

She was really nice on the phone and I ended up telling her all of my dog's foibles but they didn't seem to put her off :o

I've had a great morning so far when I eventually managed to get the internet banking to play ball. Two banks websites were so slow they kept giving up altogether when I tried to sign in. I expect it's all us MFWers signing in to do our pay day money shuffles!

Anyway, OH and I have managed to save a stonking £1120 into our renovation pot :T:T This gets the Save7k challenge off to a fab start at 16% :beer:

I have, of course, created a new spreadsheet page to track our progress. I hope to be able to move some more across from our joint account later in the month - it would be amazing to hit 20% :) It's also a bit of a relief because I will be earning over £500 less from next month and saving £700 a month will be more of a stretch, although these figures suggest it's possible if we are careful :)

I'll do a proper update later of August savings and update my sig, but for now I feel a monster list coming on...
      [STRIKE]
    • Money shuffles etc
    • Put out charity bag for collection
    • Unload/load dishwasher and quick clean kitchen
    • Make room of doom look slightly less 'doomy'
    • Clean bedroom
    • Declutter OH's bedside cabinet
    • General tidy of rest of house
    • Vacuum[/STRIKE]
    • End of month filing
    • Food inventory, menu plan and shopping list
    • [STRIKE]Pick up 'dog presents' in the garden
    • Walk dogs
    • Collapse[/STRIKE]:rotfl:
    • ebag more books if time/energy

Better get going ....
  • slowlyfading
    Options
    Hope you've managed to do your spreadsheets ;) it's annoying when you can't, isn't it? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family