Windows XP support ended - day 1

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    I wrote "XP-only" for a reason. If they're shipping with a dual licence or some other sensible upgrade path then they're not XP-only. :)

There weren't that many that were "XP only". In fact I can't think of any off hand.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There weren't that many that were "XP only". In fact I can't think of any off hand.
    Wern't there some that shipped with terrible screen resolutions like 960x600 that don't meet the minimum requirements for Vista/7/8.

Though I guess if you include Linux, no netbook is XP only.

But yeah, we really are talking about bottom of the barrel crap that should never have been sold. Can't really blame MS for that.
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some of those Netbooks supplied with XP have the ability to be very easily upgraded. So not the disaster imagined. The MSI Wind U135DX a case in point.

Indeed!

I'm posting this from a Samsung NC10 Netbook on WiFi running Win 7 Home perfectly. I changed from XP two years ago without problem. At different times this netbook has also run various flavours of Linux.
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    Wern't there some that shipped with terrible screen resolutions like 960x600 that don't meet the minimum requirements for Vista/7/8.

Though I guess if you include Linux, no netbook is XP only.

For some years, my sole computer (well, sole computer on me: loads of stuff in the cloud) was a Dell Mini 9 which was running (whisper it) OSX. It even, with gross provocation and a certain amount of making coffee while it echoed characters, ran VMWare Fusion to handle a Solaris VM.

I've still got it (it was, to be fair, somewhat hot-rodded with some extra RAM and a a 64GB SSD) and was last seen running Solaris 11.1.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    virgo17 wrote: »
    Indeed!

I'm posting this from a Samsung NC10 Netbook on WiFi running Win 7 Home perfectly. I changed from XP two years ago without problem. At different times this netbook has also run various flavours of Linux.

It's not quite what I meant. ;) In more plain language, a lot of Netbooks with XP installed in 2010 and possibly earlier, were shipped with the option to install a later OS.....
    In other words they were designed for the later OS, but XP was installed to it instead.
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would an Acer netbook bought in 2008 on XP run Windows 7?
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    Would an Acer netbook bought in 2008 on XP run Windows 7?

Yes. What's the full model number?
  • hansi
    Options
    Its an Acer Aspire One Model No ZG5 1gb Ram 120gb HDD
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    hansi wrote: »
    Its an Acer Aspire One Model No ZG5 1gb Ram 120gb HDD

Is that from 2008?? I have the same. Though mine has 1.5 GB and runs Windows 7 Starter smoothly.

Will put together a guide for you.
  • hansi
    Options
    Is that from 2008?? I have the same. Though mine has 1.5 GB and runs Windows 7 Starter smoothly.

Will put together a guide for you.
    Thanks. Yes is the 2008 model., but unfortunately it doesn't have a CD drive and I've bought a Windows 7 Professional disk!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure