Average amount of savings for a 30 year old...

Comments

• Rachel2016
    Rachel2016 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I am 28, I have saved on and off since I was 16. I gave up on saving for quite a while because I never thought I would be able to afford my own home (depressing, ay). I have £28,000 now and plan to save £20,000 in the next two years so I can buy a nice 2 bed flat in Leeds (currently living in over-priced and over-rated South East London). I can easily live very minimal and save. Status and material objects mean very little to me. I have had well paid jobs, but prefer to earn less in a stress free job which I love in a school
  • quantic
    quantic Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm 30, salary of 28k - currently got 37k saved and about 70k equity in the house. No debt or student loans. Car originally bought on finance but paid off some time ago now. No immediate goals for saving at the moment - I just try to save every month rather than buy crap, would quite like to pay off mortgage in the next 10 years if possible.
  • guitarman001
    guitarman001 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    31, income £285, 000 a year.

Not really...
  • I earn ok but I have friends on way more, with my most successful friend on £20,000 NET a month. Remember it's all relative and isn't the key to happiness. I used to work with Billionaires for 5 years and they were all on anti depressants!

Back on topic.

I'm 30, on £60k a year with my bonus included on a 35 hour week.

I save £2000 a month and have £100,000 behind me. Currently building my own house which will be ready in 4-6 months.

My only debt is a credit card that I use for work and claim back, clearing every month.

According to Experian, my score is "fair" even though I have never, ever missed a payment, don't have any outstanding accounts and save every month. Makes perfect sense.....said no one ever.
    Soon to be August 2020....
    Zero Debt - 2 years clean
    2018 income - £97,500
    2019 income - £112,500
    2020 income projected - Surviving.....
  • guccininja wrote: »
    I earn ok but I have friends on way more, with my most successful friend on £20,000 NET a month. Remember it's all relative and isn't the key to happiness. I used to work with Billionaires for 5 years and they were all on anti depressants!

Back on topic.

I'm 30, on £60k a year with my bonus included on a 35 hour week.

I save £2000 a month and have £100,000 behind me. Currently building my own house which will be ready in 4-6 months.

My only debt is a credit card that I use for work and claim back, clearing every month.

According to Experian, my score is "fair" even though I have never, ever missed a payment, don't have any outstanding accounts and save every month. Makes perfect sense.....said no one ever.

Sweet, what's your job!
  • I am just 24, but still I am happy that so far, I have managed to have around £15k in savings, I live with my parents, but in future, I would love to have my own house which is obviously everyone’s dream and major aim. I am lucky enough to have support which has helped me a lot with savings more than what people at my age can do.
  • Domayne
    Domayne Posts: 623 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I'm 31, 32 in October and I have 15k saved.
    I didn't start saving until 2014 though when I finally started to wake up and sort out my debts.
    I still live with my parents though and I have no property/cars etc to my name so I don't think I'm in a good position yet but I'm working on it :)
    Saved so far - £28,890.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 £5,489.43/12000
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Im 29, no debt and about £6k in savings. Fully expecting that to get wiped out by this time next year (just had a baby and got a wedding & honeymoon next year). Annual salary is £17k.

Conservatively about £30k in equity and maybe looking about £10k of that is price increase with £10k being the deposit. Would be mortgage free within 10 years but reckon we'll end up moving, although not really essential.

It gets tiresome hearing about what people cant afford. A friend was complaining he didnt earn enough to move out of his parents (even to rent). He said £24k wasnt enough. People shut up pretty quickly when i openly explain my financial situation and my amazement that considering i earn whats a fair amount below 'averages' yet live a life of relative luxury. I holiday every year, have sky tv packages, im a console geek which can cost a fair amount, have expensive taste in rum, smoke and eat like a king, not to mention saving enough for a baby, wedding, and honeymoon while still (probably, its planned but OH is wanting to take full advantage of maternity leave so might nibble away at the buffer) maintaining a few months salary. And i can still go out when i want (baby permitting of course).

At the risk of tempting fate, i feel im really comfortable, i live the life of riley as they say.
  • As someone's already mentioned savings alone dont really count for much. Its net worth - debt.

My wife and i have a joint income of approx 130k we are both 33.

We have the following.
    3 properties worth approx 1 mil combined.
    Approx 200k cash in savings.

We owe.
    200k in mortgage debt.
    150k debt to a family loan.

That puts us at aprox 850k worth.

We are still not in a comfortable position to quit our boring day jobs and risk starting our own businesses. But someday soon hopefully.
  • i think by 30 its good to mortgage a house. its a saving :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure