I feel like I'm never going to get a job...

Options
I've been looking for a job since November since I no longer have to be a carer for my Father and Brother.
I left school early with no GCSE's to care for my Brother and Father 6 years ago, I only have 6 months experience working in a fast food restaurant full-time evenings which I was eventually sacked from because it was too stressful to care for my Father and Brother full time and work full-time.
So now I'm 22, no experience, no qualifications... I need a job and I am an incredibly hard worker I just don't feel I'm ever going to get a job.

Any advice?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What jobs have you applied for ?

You tried applying for jobs in retail or another fast food joint ?

What is you want to do ?

You thought about going to college ?
  • JournalGirl
    JournalGirl Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    Try volunteering - helps to build experience and may even open up paid opportunities. You could possibly go back to college in the evening to get a qualification.

http://www.do-it.org.uk
  • TeaCake
    TeaCake Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have Literacy and Numeracy L2 certificates? Might be a good place to start if you don't have GCSE maths and English.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    5 months in today's job market is not a long time.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What career do you want to get into? There should be support for young people without qualifications to go back and get them, but the schemes keep changing so I can't keep track! The Princes Trust is one which offers help to under 24 year olds, but you need a clear plan before you apply.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Apolonation
    Apolonation Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone that quit her job and got a job the next week it's about mindset, determination and employability. There are loads of jobs out there.
    whinge intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
  • starrystarry
    starrystarry Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a_went wrote: »
    I've been looking for a job since November since I no longer have to be a carer for my Father and Brother.
    I left school early with no GCSE's to care for my Brother and Father 6 years ago, I only have 6 months experience working in a fast food restaurant full-time evenings which I was eventually sacked from because it was too stressful to care for my Father and Brother full time and work full-time.
    So now I'm 22, no experience, no qualifications... I need a job and I am an incredibly hard worker I just don't feel I'm ever going to get a job.

Any advice?

No experience? You're forgetting you have several years of caring experience. You might not have been employed but I bet you have tons of transferrable skills. Have you considered a career in care work?
  • melysion
    melysion Posts: 801 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2014 at 9:11PM
    Options
    I know someone that quit her job and got a job the next week it's about mindset, determination and employability. There are loads of jobs out there.

And how precisely was that reply useful to the OP? Reads like rubbing salt in the wounds to me. There aren't loads of jobs - there are over a 100 applications for some jobs at the moment. A positive mindset and proactive approach helps a lot of course but let's not kid ourselves it is easy out there are the moment. It isnt, regardless of how "employable" someone is.

Volunteering might be a good option - for both experience and getting a reference. What would you like to do? You could look into college and other training. There are options and I'm sure with a bit of hard work you will get a job soon ;)
  • missindecisive
    Options
    You are only young...consider going back to college if you can, have a look what courses are on offer.
  • RainbowChild_2
    Options
    Have you considered the forces? Best days of my life.
    Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure