Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I do wish we had a Heron nearby. When we are in North Yorkshire through the summer months (we have a caravan up there) I regularly pop in the Thirsk branch to sift through the bargains.

We do, however, have a Fulton Foods branch here and they are a similar chain around these parts. When I see good bargains posted on here for Heron I pop into Fultons and can, quite often, find the same bargains there! So thanks for that keep the posts coming!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thank you very much for that! I'm glad my efforts are appreciated.
    My Heron is great, the staff are so pleasant.
    Some years ago Heron opened a branch in Barnard Castle, on the Market Place, I was working there at the time.
    If you know 'Barney' at all you will not be surprised that the local paper - the Teesdale Mercury - had a small article just before they opened wondering if that was quite the sort of shop they wanted in Barney.

I was livid and wrote a letter to the Mercury in praise of Heron and in particular my local store. To their credit, the Mercury printed it.
    I then thought what a shame it was that being some 12 miles away the lads and lasses at Heron would never read it and sent a very similar letter to my local paper for publication. The girls in the store were over the moon when that was printed.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farmfoods - Nicky pocket tissues. 15 packs of 9 tissues for £1. They are four ply and with balsam. Nice and thick and don't call into holes.
    Cadburys Marvellous Creations 200g bars £1 each. BB date 9th March. Supermarkets are selling for £1.50-£2. All flavours. If have someone that loves these, great stocking filler.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great buy in my heron last week, Kraft light Italian dressing 3 for a pound. Think Asda is about £1 each.
    Slimming World at target
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I got those Italian dressings the other week too, long UBD. Mine also had Caesar salad dressing.
    So today at Heron this is what caught my eye (some of these had sold out):
    Chiller Cabinet
    Muller Corner 'Bliss' whipped Greek yogurt/strawberry corners 8 for £1, UBD 10 Dec
    Muller Light Fruitopolis Greek yogurts with peach & passionfruit 4 for 50p UBD 10 Dec
    Amore desserts 1 2-pack for 75p, After Eight desserts 2 2 packs for £1
    Chilled Jus-rol puff pastry 3 for £1 (300g ? -sold out!)

Wide selection of 100g cheese slices for £1 - Monterey Jack, smoked, cheddar, peppery.

Covent Garden soups, ham and lentil, (sold out) chorizo and pearl barley, red pepper, 2 for £1 or 60p each

Frijj milkshakes, banoffee pie or white choc & raspberry 375 ml 30p each or 4 for £1
    Seriously Strong Spreadable Bites Cheese 100g £1
    Danish Blue Cheese 100g £1
    Anchor light squirty cream 250g £1.25

Freezers.

2.5 kg McCain Roasting Potatoes £2 (free individual jacket potato with any McCain's purchase)
    Very large turkey crowns £12
    500g polybagged lamb chops £1.50 (small, bit broken, fine for casseroles, hot pots)
    1kg chicken drumsticks £1.50
    Aunt Bessie's potato croquettes 550g £1
    Sausage & bacon rolls 16 for £1
    XSell pizzas assorted 9 inch 75p 2 for £1 ( thin crust pepperoni this week)
    Xsell Battered White Fish 500g £1.50 inc white fish in tempura batter
    8 battered chip shop style sausages £1
    Indian party bites 16 for £1
    Giant gateaux £4
    30 profiteroles 2 packs for £2
    Giant Viennetta £1.50 (gave the puddings/ices aisle a swerve so not sure of others)

Dry Goods
    Cadbury's Dairy Milk sandwiched with Lu? biscuits or Ritz (yes, really) 60p
    Seabrooks Crisps 7 bags £1 (beefy, r. salted, cheese n onion)
    Aunt Bessie's chicken gravy granules (300g drum) £1
    Whitworth's Stuffing 340g (big box) 75p
    McVities Jaffa Cakes 24 for £1
    Baxter's tinned soups, various 65p
    Heinz soup sachets 4 for £1
    Thornton's chocolates £2.50
    Hovis Breakfast Biscuits Milk & Oats 5 pack £1
    1 litre Strawberry Ribena £1.50
    1 litre NAS Vimto (35% free) £1
    2 x4 roll Andrex for £3.50
    Plus loads and loads of other stuff..
    Most of my other buys were the usual suspects of bacon (908 g misshapes £1.90, 454g £1), frozen meat and frozen veg.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Seen in FarmF00ds today;

'East End' brand tinned chickpeas, 400g - 4 for £1

Fort & Cole 70% cocoa Dark Chocolate, 100g bar - £1

The chocolate is a new brand to the market (I g00gled it to see if it was any good - can't answer that one......) The chocolate is in a brown box - like L1ndt or Lind0r brands, so a 'luxury' type product.

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Thanks Pilgrim.....Those tinned chickpeas worth a look, dried beans from Tesco are £1.09 (maybe £1.15) for 500g.Will check this pm.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    For anyone near a branch of Fulton Foods (similar to Heron) - they were selling 4 sachets of Merchant Gourmet Porcini Mushrooms for £1 today. Short dated but I shall pop them in the freezer as they are not the dried variety.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    For anyone near a branch of Fulton Foods (similar to Heron) - they were selling 4 sachets of Merchant Gourmet Porcini Mushrooms for £1 today. Short dated but I shall pop them in the freezer as they are not the dried variety.
    What a great buy! I would have got those if they had put in an appearance at Heron. I have had quite a bit of Merchant Gourmet stuff from bargain stores over the years and never a duff item.
    I think those mushrooms would make an amazing risotto. I followed a Jack Monroe recipe for chestnut risotto and used a tin of chestnut puree that I got reduced from Aldi. Heavenly.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The drained weight for the 400g chickpeas is 240g's. 4x400g tins £1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family