Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was in Heron yesterday and got 1kg (4 portions), of chicken thighs for £1.50
    They've just gone in the slowcooker.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I was in Heron yesterday and got 1kg (4 portions), of chicken thighs for £1.50
    They've just gone in the slowcooker.

I saw those but I am sure the bag said 80% chicken, so there must be a lot of water in them.

Didn't have my specs on so I could be wrong, otherwise I would have bought some.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've tried the chicken thighs and they compared very favourably to value range thighs. I noticed that my Heron was selling gammon offcuts at £2 a kilo rather than cooking bacon. It turned out to be in small chunky pieces, I used it in casseroles and it was really good, less salty than the cheap bacon bits.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just reviving this - my local Heron has had a revamp and there were a lot of new items, as well as the usual suspects and one-offs.

300g of frozen soya mince was an unbelievable 50p. It's in a green cardboard box.This sort of stuff is usually fine with a good gravy or sauce to give flavour.
    2 bags of marshmallows were £1, I use these in Christmas baking.
    Alfie's Ready Cooked Chicken Strips (great for stir-fries, curries etc) are down to £1.50.
    British UHT milk was 69p a litre, there was a massive 1.8kg bag of pork sausages described as 'premium' for £1.75.
    The XSell goodies included 2 pizzas for £1 - deep ones this week, lemon and pepper tempura batter fish fillets 500g for £1.50 and hot and spicy chicken wings 500g (I think) for £1.
    Cornettos, loose, 4 for £1.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I like Heron...though freezer weights need watching. Will keep an eye out for the Quorn mince and saw the chicken thighs the other day.
    Normally buy the cooking bacon but at £2 the gammon is tempting.
    Use dry powder so milk prices never interest me.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's a voucher for £2.50 off a £25 spend. £5 off £50. £7.50 off £75.
    Just search farm food vouchers and print off. On til 31 DEC.
    They have small 500ml bottles of Pepsi and 7up 24 bottles for £9.50.
    Good value as these are £1.50 each in vending machines.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    There's a voucher for £2.50 off a £25 spend. £5 off £50. £7.50 off £75.
    Just search farm food vouchers and print off. On til 31 DEC.
    They have small 500ml bottles of Pepsi and 7up 24 bottles for £9.50.
    Good value as these are £1.50 each in vending machines.

There's this thread running about Farmfoods too. Perhaps the mods will put them together if they have time.:)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4503943
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'll probably get told off for posting about Heron in a Farmfoods thread if they do get merged though! I don't have a FF near me, but I do have a Heron. FF in this area is like the only branch of Iceland I used to visit regularly, they don't seem to stock anything that I would like to eat, it's all deep crust pizzas, pies, pasties and fatty sausages, along with things that go ding after two minutes in a micro. That's obviously what sells best in that town.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll probably get told off for posting about Heron in a Farmfoods thread if they do get merged though! I don't have a FF near me, but I do have a Heron. FF in this area is like the only branch of Iceland I used to visit regularly, they don't seem to stock anything that I would like to eat, it's all deep crust pizzas, pies, pasties and fatty sausages, along with things that go ding after two minutes in a micro. That's obviously what sells best in that town.

Hopefully it can be merged under the FF/Heron title.

AFAIK we don't have Heron in my area, some stores can be very regional. Our FF does have a load of junk but increasingly they're selling good value fruit and veg, the groceries and household is always worth a look as is the chilled cabinet. I'm impressed with the frozen veg: leeks particularly and good peas. They're always good value for Nicky toilet rolls and kitchen roll and some of their meat and fish is worth buying. Bread and milk is always a good price.

It's tough that yours doesn't seem to stock these things although I do find some of the fish in Iceland good. I tend to stroll round there once a month or so, so although their bread and milk is well priced I don't go there often enough to buy it.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Chiller cabinet: Heron had lactose free full fat Philadelphia cheese, 170g, 3 for £1. They also had little 30g bags of ready grated Parmesan at 3 for £1. Aldi's works out cheaper, but this is ready grated.
    Weightwatchers chocolate puddings at 4 for 50p, a wide range of cheeses including some Boursin at the usual great prices. Mullerlight yogurts were 6 for £1.65

Freezer: A selection of tiny cocktail spring rolls for £1 that can be oven baked, for those of us that don't deep fry any more. Potato patties, cheese and onion patties and large samosas (all in the Xsell freezer).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure