Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• christopherbingham
    christopherbingham Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 July 2015 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Made by the Newsholme Group in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Sometimes just because no fat comes out, this doesn't mean it is low in fat! The fat just does not come out! It is probably not lean as it is sausage. If you want lean sausages, get Skinny Lizzies (3% fat) or Morrisons butchers counter store produced sausages when they reduce them. They do one beef variety as well as the pork ones.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The suppliers of the large packs of cooking bacon/gammon at Heron appear to have changed again, but for the better. A 1kg bag of gammon pieces was £2 and really good quality with none of the fatty lumps one sometimes sees.
    My local Heron appeared to have branched out into toiletries as well with Alberto shampoo and conditioner. Large bottles were £1.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • geordielass
    geordielass Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herons have 400g boxes of Bisto Chicken/Beef gravy granules in for £1.
    He who smiles rather than rages is always
    the stronger
  • Gavin234
    Gavin234 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Herons have 400g boxes of Bisto Chicken/Beef gravy granules in for £1.
    Do they do free delivery like the supermarket?
  • williacg
    williacg Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin234 wrote: »

Unfortunately, no. Herons and Farmfoods are both similar in stocks and prices, I always use them in conjunction with Tesco, as I use their Delivery Saver (for the time being).

Keep a look out for the Bisto Turkey granules, really nice, more of an intense flavour compared to the chicken.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gavin234 wrote: »

A lot of the stuff Herons get in are one off stocks from suppliers from cancelled orders, etc. Would be more difficult to maintain an online shopping site unless they only sold the basics via it.

Although they could do a delivery service like what Iceland do where you go in and shop then Have it delivered later that day once you get home.
  • tin_can
    tin_can Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of the stuff Herons get in are one off stocks from suppliers from cancelled orders, etc. Would be more difficult to maintain an online shopping site unless they only sold the basics via it.

Although they could do a delivery service like what Iceland do where you go in and shop then Have it delivered later that day once you get home.

they do deliver in hull butt you have to spend over £5.00 and they will deliver it to your home there hq is just outside of hull
    family mean more to me than money it's call a life
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Went in Farm Foods yesterday,I like their 750g bags of king prawns,found out they don't do them anymore but they now have the same king prawns but in 250g packets 3 for £10,the 750g was £7:85 so £1:15 more for the same weight. No reason for me to go back now so they have lost a customer.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Went in Farm Foods yesterday,I like their 750g bags of king prawns,found out they don't do them anymore but they now have the same king prawns but in 250g packets 3 for £10,the 750g was £7:85 so £1:15 more for the same weight. No reason for me to go back now so they have lost a customer.

That sort of thing seems to happen a lot. Most of their frozen veg is now in 750g bags and while currently not bad prices I'm suspicious.

That being said, I went in for frozen peas as I think theirs and Lidl are the best. 50p for a 750g bag, that's good value.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think Farmfoods choice and quality has gone down hill from the time they first opened.

I do feel it will be only a matter of time before they are taken over, a bit like Bejams being bought out by Icelands.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income