Independence?

Options

Comments

• Big_Graeme
    Big_Graeme Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Devo Max would have been a much better choice IMHO, but Cameron knows best for Scotland apparently, so it's not on the table. There you go. Just leaves the choice of reminding Cameron that on Scottish matters Scotland knows best.

Woah, it was Salmond that didn't want devo-max on the ballot.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    Woah, it was Salmond that didn't want devo-max on the ballot.
    Nope. Cameron. Salmond was open to it if anybody else wanted it included.
    Even the Torygraph itself admits it was Cameron's mistake to exclude it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10621649/Give-Scotland-devo-max.html
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Big_Graeme
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Nope. Cameron. Salmond was open to it if anybody else wanted it included.
    Even the Torygraph itself admits it was Cameron's mistake to exclude it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10621649/Give-Scotland-devo-max.html

Apologies, I mis-remembered.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2014 at 7:26AM
    Options
    Should I be moving some, or all, of my savings into English banks and Building Societies to make sure they are safe in case there is financial meltdown if the SNP get there way.

I've not been on here for a while - been a bit busy elsewhere. ;-)

I'm amazed - in fact, maybe even astonished! - that someone woth only 1 post, calling themselves "worried scot" who can't spell Independence properly can throw in a post like that, not come back and join in the discussion, and no one from the MSE forum mentions it. Changed days.

Anyway - a wee stat for you about Faslane ( not Rosyth)
    The STUC did a study on the job losses if Trident was to leave Faslane. The total losses would be 1800 jobs.
    Sad.
    Until you hear that there would be 2,500 employed at the new Faslane Navy HQ.

So, as a good moneysaver, I have to point out that you'd be in credit, not debit in the long run.

Rosyth ( dockyard jobs) were threatened in the 1979 devolution vote ( where dead people counted)
    At that time, there were 32,000 shipyard jobs in Scotland.
    There are now 3,000.

I don't need a calculator to work out that we lost <90% of our shipbuilding jobs.

Anyone visited Gibraltar, Isle of Wight (I meant to say Isle of Man) and used something other than a pound? ;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2014 at 7:46PM
    Options
    ailuro2 wrote: »

Anyway - a wee stat for you about Faslane ( not Rosyth)

Here's another wee stat about Faslane and it's from the Ministry Of Defence in response to a Freedom Of Information request.

http://www.nuclearinfo.org/article/uk-trident-operational-berths/ministry-defence-reveals-just-520-faslane-jobs-depend-trident
  • Big_Graeme
    Options
    Anyone visited Gibraltar, Isle of Wight and used something other than a pound? ;)

I think you mean Isle of Man, the Isle of Wight is still part of England :D
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ahh.. yes I do, thanks.
    Been to Gibraltar, but never the Isle of Man.
    Seen how using other people's currency works - no one bats an eyelid. They just use it and are satisfied as long as they have enough of the things in their wallets.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • Big_Graeme
    Options
    ahh.. yes I do, thanks.
    Been to Gibraltar, but never the Isle of Man.
    Seen how using other people's currency works - no one bats an eyelid. They just use it and are satisfied as long as they have enough of the things in their wallets.

If you want to equate the Scottish economy with Gib that's your call, mind after a few years of Salmond with his grubby hands on "the levers" then it may be close that you'd wish...

No currency union means you don't have a central bank, you don't have any control over many of the key monetary policies that would affect the huge financial industry in Scotland.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Big_Graeme wrote: »
    If you want to equate the Scottish economy with Gib that's your call, mind after a few years of Salmond with his grubby hands on "the levers" then it may be close that you'd wish...

How insulting and condescending.

The discussion had been civilised, now you choose to substitute mud slinging and personalised insults and drag the discussion down to gutter level.

Based on the First Minister's record in Holyrood on what facts do you base your comments, or are they just unsubstantiated assertions?
  • .string.
    .string. Posts: 2,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    How insulting and condescending.

The discussion had been civilised, now you choose to substitute mud slinging and personalised insults and drag the discussion down to gutter level.

Based on the First Minister's record in Holyrood on what facts do you base your comments, or are they just unsubstantiated assertions?
    Salmond, and the SNP have been misleading the Scottish electorate about the very real financial downsides of a Yes vote. All you get from that lot is deceitful claims that none of these problems exist.

Scotland does not have in the SNP a Goverment that is either honest enough with it's people or professional enough to investigate such things in an honest way.

As a Brit I hate to see this con being made on my fellow Brits (that's Scots by the way) and is reason enough to dismiss SNP as a competent, or principled, party worthy of Scotland.
    Union, not Disunion

I have a Right Wing and a Left Wing.
    It's the only way to fly straight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills