We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Would You Consider Protection?

Options

Comments

• Georgiegirl256
    Georgiegirl256 Posts: 7,005 Forumite
    Options

Here's another good example:

The other night in my usually quiet, nice, street I hear a knocking, then someone shouting HELP ME. I look outside to see a full on assault taking place across the street.
    To cut a longer story shorter, I was a little afraid he may want to start something on me and my house - what could I do in that instant to stop him? Nothing.

Your thoughts?

How could you do nothing? What if that was you getting attacked, and your neighbours did nothing to help you?

If I saw that happening in my street, I'd call the police, I'd shout at them to stop, quite often that might be enough to spook them and make them aware that someone has seen them, and they'll scarper. I'd make my neighbours aware, I don't know the appropriate thing to do, but I think human nature at wanting to help someone in distress would take over....I couldn't stand there and watch, and not do anything.

Also, regarding being burgled, like someone else said, let them take what they want, why try and intervene and possibly get attacked or worse? I'm pretty sure that most burglars would be easily able to overpower me, so why risk it?
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't. I think people who carry/have weapons are more likely to have them used against them. Plus, and apologies to any burglars I offend with my generalisation here, I think the type of person to break into someone's home is likely to be more experienced in using a weapon than me. I also think the vast majority of burglars just want stuff to sell rather than face confrontation so I'd rather they just took the tv or whatever than I get into confrontation with them.

I think time would be better spent securing your home, even down to small things like plants & things on window ledges so if someone did someone breach the locks they'd be bound to make a noise. I also have 999 programmed as one of the memory numbers in the phone on my bedside table. It's something my grandparents used to do (my parents were drug addicts who'd appear in the middle of the night) and I just continued it. It won't make a big difference, but just a second or two might help.
  • koan_2
    koan_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    You could do what some people do and get a guard dog or two. At the moment if your dog attacks or kills a burglar you can't be prosecuted, though this may change.
  • Angelicdevil
    Angelicdevil Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2014 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Yes, I have a claw hammer under my bed.

I was awoken recently to the sound of my motorbike being stolen. First thing I did was jump out of bed, get dressed whilst calling the police and relaying details to them, and run outside to chase/stop the thieving barstewards.

It wasn't until my adrenaline rush had gone that I realised how stupid I was for going out at 2am in the morning to confront a group of lads intent on stealing my motorbike. Especially as I'd left the claw hammer under my bed.

Thankfully they dumped my bike and I got full descriptions of them and their vehicle.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    I have a simple philosophy:
    Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm fairly sure if you have a baseball bat or weapon sitting ready for use, you can be done for it as it is premeditated?

We have a gunsafe in the bedroom, but I don't think it would ever occur to me that if someone were to break in that I would open it. I think I'd try and hide and call the police.
  • koan_2
    koan_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2014 at 10:49AM
    Options
    The trouble is, too, that if the Police had turned up and caught you with the claw hammer in your hand, guess who'd get arrested? (clue: not the group of yobbos who were stealing the bike..;))
  • Angelicdevil
    Angelicdevil Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    koan wrote: »
    The trouble is, too, that if the Police had turned up and caught you with the claw hammer in your hand, guess who'd get arrested? (clue: not the group of yobbos who were stealing the bike..;))

Hehe I was joking about the claw hammer :D

But yes, you're not wrong about that!
    I have a simple philosophy:
    Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I would not keep a bat or other weapon. It can always be turned against you, plus if you are faced with an intruder who is prepared to fight rather than running when confronted then they are probably more likely to hurt you than the other way around.

I am not replaceable. The things I own which are irreplaceable are highly unlikely to be the things a burglar would be interested in, and the stuff they may want (my TV, phone etc) are insured and relatively easy to replace.

Someone being assaulted outside my house? I probably would not go out to try to intervene, i would call the police,I might, if I had my camera or phone to hand, try to film what was happening as evidence for the police, and I would do what I could to make noise and make the agressor aware that they were being seen and that the police were coming.

Our house was burgled when we were students - the fist time, we all slept through it. the second time, I woke up when they broke the kitchen window. I woke up 2 of my housemates (learning that "OK, I'll put some trousers on" is apparently the default response to being told your house is being burgled!) I then set off the smoke alarm in the hopes they would mistake it for a burglar alarm and we turned on lights and made a lot of noise.Loud cries of "OK, I've got the police on the phone" etc . (not true - this was long enough ago that none of us had mobile phones, and the land line was downstairs) They left.

I have also called the police when there were people fighting in the street near my home (and once when I saw someone climbing in through the window of the house across the road, although as it turned out, that was the occupant's son after a particualrly convivial night out.!)

I can understand not going outside and putting yourself at risk but cannot fathom the mind set of seeing and hearing someone calling for help and not calling the police.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I think you live in a horrible street -and I'd hate to have neighbours who did nothing if I was attacked. I actually think "nice streets" are worse for this "won't get involved" attitude. My Mum's road was like that-all the curtains would twitch but no-one wanted to get involved or even call the police. Nice middle class streets are apparently well known for this type of attitude.

I think it's a tough one though. As much as I would want to get involved, if I saw something like this, what else could I do besides call the Police?

More often than not, I'm at home alone with my two small daughters, I couldn't go running out and either have the attackers attack me or run into my house and attack my daughters.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    I would call the police if I saw someone in trouble and I have done.

I live in a rough area, wouldnt consider keeping an iron bar or a baseball bat and Ive been here almost 20 years now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport