Would You Consider Protection?

Options

Comments

• mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's why when we had our alarm fitted one of the requirements was the ability to set the downstairs/garage separately
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    I have martial arts training and I can confidently say I would have no problem with subduing any burglar and keeping them in a headlock until the police arrive to arrest them. I do have a police extendable baton by the side my bed but wouldn't really need it.
  • itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    apologies to any burglars I offend with my generalisation

:rotfl::rotfl:

On a more serious note, a weapon can be too easily turned against you.

Witnessing something outside, your voice is a pretty good weapon, both for phoning and for yelling very loudly.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,348 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When a friend's neighbour was burgled a while back and my friend was talking with the police about what she may, or may not, have heard in the garden that night the police suggested setting an unaimed camera flash off out the window. People up to no good have an aversion to having their photo taken, apparently.

Several of you might find this book interesting reading - if you click on the cover there is quite a bit of preview. http://ymaa.com/publishing/meditations_on_violence_rory_miller
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    itsanne wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:

On a more serious note, a weapon can be too easily turned against you.

Witnessing something outside, your voice is a pretty good weapon, both for phoning and for yelling very loudly.

I've had stick for weirder things :rotfl:
  • surveyqueenuk
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    You could open the window and shout -often that's enough. if you were walking home with your two small daughters and were attacked,,,,, What would you hope *your* neighbours would do ?

Exactly. Imagine hearing screams for help and ignoring them, only to find out next morning that there had been a rape or a murder!

itsanne, your sig is very apt for this thread and also one of my favourite poems!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2014 at 10:15PM
    Options
    I did martial arts for many years before my disability stopped me. and one thing I learned was 'someone bigger and stronger than you, can take your weapon away and then will use it on you'. most law-abiding people have no clue how to use a weapon. the bad guys do - and how to take it from you.
    so no - creeping downstairs with a baseball bat is a good way to have your own head bashed in.
    the best way to keep yourself safe is to have a good strong bedroom door and a LOCK on it. make sure you have a phone in the room and its charged if its a mobile. also bathroom locks are a joke - get a good lock fitted. or a strong deadbolt.
    also make sure the house is secure. good door and window locks. and plant some very thorny bushes under the windows. deters burglers.
    if you can afford it then there are some very good alarms. which sound if a window or door is opened or broken.

But NO, no weapons.
    if you are concerned then you can ask at your local police station - they will send round an officer to advise you on the weak points at your home. and how to secure it.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    Gavin - I hate to tell you this - but YOU risk spending years in jail because the legal system doesn't share your view. For some reason invading your home doesn't give you the right to issue and carry out the 'death penalty'.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No! We have a couple of shot guns but they're locked up for insurance (obviously!) but also for our protection. I know it's an extreme weapon but you wouldn't want to !!!! off a burglar and have them use a bat against you.
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Thankfully, we've got a dog that barks at anyone who walks past the house (it's detached, so he doesn't bother anyone unless he's in the back garden), If he was asleep when someone tried to break in though, if they did manage to wake him up, then he'd probably give them a good licking and complain when they left... :D
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure